Baiyuan tongbeiquan documentary

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Baiyuan tongbeiquan documentary

Postby josh on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:37 pm

For those interested, a Chinese documentary on the Baiyuan tongbeiquan passed down from Ma Xiaohe, practiced in the Niujie (Ox Street) area of Beijing, a traditionally Muslim quarter of the city:
http://you.video.sina.com.cn/b/14868376-1082002034.html
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Re: Baiyuan tongbeiquan documentary

Postby ashe on Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:59 pm

sweet dog i wish i could speak fluently...

as a fluent speaker and tongbei man, how do you think it represents the art? it looked like a high end production but i'm skeptical of most of the stuff i see coming from cctv. it's kinda like faux. :D
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby josh on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:11 pm

I'm not at all familiar with the teachers featured and I don't know much about Niujie tongbei either -- it's similar but also fairly different from what I studied. As with most of the CCTV docs they focus a lot on fantastic origin myths and sensational stories about masters performing incredible feats, but I am very happy to see this style get such exposure, as it is generally one of the more conservative and obscure Chinese styles. I like how they discuss BYTBQ roots in Beijing and the connection of this lineage to the local Muslim community, they also show some of the traditional TBQ training methods like bag striking and post training, as well as the influence of shuaijiao in BYTBQ.
通背神拳誰敢擋﹐無影無形無柔剛。兩手捧定千斤法﹐專打邪魔鬼神忙。
josh
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Its pretty good, actually. Nice intro to the style.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:36 am

[quote="josh"] As with most of the CCTV docs they focus a lot on fantastic origin myths and sensational stories about masters performing incredible feats,

And people wonder why CMA are quickly becoming the laughing stock to other martial artists. Too bad they have to sensationalize to get attention.
JAB

Postby WongYing on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 am

Wont play for me :-(

Window opens but footage wont load
WongYing
Huajing

Return to Video Links