Chen Zhao Kui related clips

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Chen Zhao Kui related clips

Postby salcanzonieri on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:36 pm

.Q. wrote:Supposedly the secret 3rd frame:

http://www.56.com/u30/v_MjkzMTc1NzE.html

I don't believe much in the 'secret' part but it does look interesting.

Also has a link to a slightly longer version (by 2 seconds) of CZK doing cover hand punch than one I've seen before.

Well, there are other branches of Chen family that moved to Shanghai and Shandong when the Chen's opened body guard service companies there. They do the "missing" Hong Quan sets from Chen style, such as this Duan Quan set. They never were "missing' just that Chen village didn't teach them anymore. But they always were around.
I think that Chen Fake and his father knew them as well.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby salcanzonieri on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Andy_S wrote:Very interesting sets. Clearly, many of the moves are in the other sets; others appear not to be, and still others appear to be moves in the standard sets done backwards. I would disagree with Shenquan: I would say that this guy does move like a lot of xinjia practitioners (much spiralling of the limbs and open-close of chest) albeit he is a dodderer, so his stances are not as low or his movements as crisp as Chen Yu (who is, I think (?) in his 40s - this guy could be in his 80s).

But - (a) who is he?

And - (b) - who has heard of a 3rd or 4th set in Chen Taijiquan? Not me.

I know of the Chen Longfist set, and of course there are various frames (old frame, new frame, small frame) but have always thought that there were only two forms in each of these frames. Anyone else?

A few years ago I posted here (original site) translations from Chen family notes, it talked about the body guard company Chen's started in eastern China. The Chen family that remained there continue to to the FIVE "lost" (they were never lost just discontinued in Chen village) short forms, sometimes called Chen Hong Quan sets.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby salcanzonieri on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm posting these two sets on youtube, it's taking a long time to upload though.
Check some time later in my account, or i will post the links here.

Here's the San Lu (3rd Road or set) Duan Quan 24 postures set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRbSBpN3Rb4

DAMN! They removed the 108 set that I just posted, they said it 'violated terms of use".
I think because it was 20:47 long. You can only post 10 minute video at a time.
I'll have to find a way to divide it. Halfway he does the form again, facing the other way.
So it is there twice.
Last edited by salcanzonieri on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:56 am

RE: Sal's comment
Interesting, you may well be correct on where these forms came from, though if from the Shandong branch, would have nothing to do with Chen ZK. If anyone can tell us who the bloke in the clip is, it may answer some of these questions

RE: Kreese/wrestling at the school
Dunno, only got back from London this week. Will go down to school next week. But of six of us who went to the village, only two of us were wrestling

RE: Punching/shadowboxing/bagwork
Fair comment, bagwork certainly has its place - what I should have said is 'punching and kicking in air." I believe solo striking training in air, without resistance, has its place - every striking art (even Western boxing) practices this to a greater or lesser degree. However, I know of no grappling art that has any institutionalized solo form training....with the arguable excpetion of Taiji, and even if you accept that this is a grappling art, it has a lot of short, sharp strikes built into it that augment the actual throws, locks and projections.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:02 am

When I come back to Seoul--don't know when at this point--you can set aside all politeness and practice those throws on me.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby salcanzonieri on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Andy_S wrote:RE: Sal's comment
Interesting, you may well be correct on where these forms came from, though if from the Shandong branch, would have nothing to do with Chen ZK. If anyone can tell us who the bloke in the clip is, it may answer some of these questions

Well, the thing that is strange is that Chen Zhao Kui line, Chen Fake and his father too, seem to know more forms than today's Chen Village official forms. And even the Yi Lu set has movements missing from today's Chen Village Yi Lu, movements that are seen in the tong bei and tai Zu chang quan sets that the Chen Yi Lu set follow.

There has to be some kind of transmission from Chen Fake's father that left the Chen Village area that has more forms.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Sal:

That is not necessarily strange - it is on the record that the art in the village was almost dead when Chen Zhaopei went back to teach the new generation in the 60s, so most of what is there today is from him, as well as a bit of xiaojia. There is also huleijia in the village next door to Chenjiagou (literally, across the 'muddy ditch' - about three minutes walk from the main Taiji school in the village today). When Fake, Zhaopei and Lijung left and they were the main talent.

Both Chen Zhaokui's and Chen Zhaopei's arts are taught in the village today (ie two forms or xinjia and two forms of laojia) the current 19th generation were taught by both ZK and ZP, though ZP was there for much longer. The xinjia sets are slightly longer (ie they have more moves) than the laojia sets; 83 vs 75 in the case of the first form.

What is the source of your info that Chen Fake and pater knew more forms than are done today? AFAIK, Fake never taught them to anyone (Chen Zhaokui, Feng Zhiqiang, Hong Jun-shen or other close disciples); all of these highly regarded practitioners only did/do the two basic empty hand forms (unless they are so secret I have not heard about them in over a decade in the art - which is possible but unlikely). And while I can't recall the exact dates, I am pretty sure that the various Chen forms were synthesitzed into the two basic empty hand forms we have today in the late 18th or early 19th centuries - well before Fake and his dad's time.
Last edited by Andy_S on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby salcanzonieri on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Andy_S wrote:Sal:

That is not necessarily strange - it is on the record that the art in the village was almost dead when Chen Zhaopei went back to teach the new generation in the 60s, so most of what is there today is from him, as well as a bit of xiaojia. There is also huleijia in the village next door to Chenjiagou (literally, across the 'muddy ditch' - about three minutes walk from the main Taiji school in the village today). When Fake, Zhaopei and Lijung left and they were the main talent.

Both Chen Zhaokui's and Chen Zhaopei's arts are taught in the village today (ie two forms or xinjia and two forms of laojia) the current 19th generation were taught by both ZK and ZP, though ZP was there for much longer. The xinjia sets are slightly longer (ie they have more moves) than the laojia sets; 83 vs 75 in the case of the first form.

What is the source of your info that Chen Fake and pater knew more forms than are done today? AFAIK, Fake never taught them to anyone (Chen Zhaokui, Feng Zhiqiang, Hong Jun-shen or other close disciples); all of these highly regarded practitioners only did/do the two basic empty hand forms (unless they are so secret I have not heard about them in over a decade in the art - which is possible but unlikely). And while I can't recall the exact dates, I am pretty sure that the various Chen forms were synthesitzed into the two basic empty hand forms we have today in the late 18th or early 19th centuries - well before Fake and his dad's time.

Well, besides the two form shown in these two videos in this thread, there is Wang Zhenhua, disciple of Chen Zhaokui - whose book and video reveals a 108 posture Long Fist Routine which was taught by Chen Fake's son to a few of his disciples only.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Do you know the background of Wang's learning this form? I.e., why did he learn it while others did not? Or, are there other disciples who learned the form as well?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby hbuchtel on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:55 am

Andy_S wrote:And - (b) - who has heard of a 3rd or 4th set in Chen Taijiquan? Not me.

There is a little bit more information in the video of the same guy doing the "4th road 108 form"

"陈式太极拳四路为陈照奎密传上海弟子之套路,外不多见。间或有见者,亦与之迥异。"
"The 4th road form of Chen style Taiji Quan was secretly transmitted by Chen Zhao Kui to his Shanghai disciple(s?) and it is rarely seen in public. Occasionally it is seen, and it is totally different [from the other forms?]"

Thanks for the link, pretty cool!
hbuchtel
Santi

Postby salcanzonieri on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:56 am

edededed wrote:Do you know the background of Wang's learning this form? I.e., why did he learn it while others did not? Or, are there other disciples who learned the form as well?

It's this video:

Here' what is says on youtube:
DU Wencai, another disciple of CZK, published a book in early 1990s in which he presented Long Fist in 108 Postures and Short Fist in 48 Postures. He also claimed he learnt them from CZK. There are still people in Shanghai who practice these routines.
Last edited by salcanzonieri on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:03 am

Interesting, but, again, I do have to ask why Chen Fake (who taught his son, Chen ZK) did not teach them to anyone, why Chen Fake and ZK contemporary Chen Zhaopei did not know then (or even know of their existance), and why ZK taught these only to his Shanghai disciples - but not to his son, Chen Yu, nor to his relatives/students in the village ("the four tigers") at a time when both Chen ZP and ZK were making a strong effort to rejuvenate the almost lost art in Chenjiagou.

Three possibilities as I see it:

(1) It's a one-upmanship-based marketing ploy ("We have got the secret forms and you have not so ya, boo, sucks!") by the Shanghai peeps, who made up the forms themselves, or added forms from others styles and "Taiji-ised" them. Note also that not all the Shanghai Chen people have these forms. Ma Hong, a direct, Shanghai-based student of Chen ZK, does not know or teach 'em AFAIK.

(2) Chen ZK simply made the forms up in order to teach something "more" to the Shanghai peeps for financial or other reasons;

(3) There really IS a highly secret tradition of second and third forms, and this is just the first we have seen of it publically.

If the latter, it flies in the face of all the orthodox Chen literature and teaching, which states that there are two (not four!) empty hand forms - or was all that lit and teaching an elaborate smokescreen. Or perhaps the current village and Xian-based lineage holders never learned this stuff (though why not is unclear - as per above) and so will automatically state it ain't real. Eitehr way - secret, for sure!

I like the look of the forms, and they certainly LOOK Chennish, but of course the broader question is:
Does having an extra form or two make the Shanghai Chen group better at PH, free fighting, or healthier, than those of us poor saps who have only the two forms?
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:05 am

Another possiblity.

Did Chen ZK, who grew up in Beijing not the village, learn longfist and shortfist as separate martial arts from a teacher other than his dad (ie Chen Fake) and subsequently Taiji-ized the movements himself, but, not considering them Taiji per se, did not teach them to most of his Taiji students?
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Shenquan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:54 am

I think your last hipothesis sounds very reasonable, unless of course those shanghai folks made the sets themselves.
Anyway, Ma Hong's been living for many years in Shijiazhuang (hebei province) so he has nothing to do with the shanghai group (unless he's friend with those masters)
Shenquan
Santi

Postby salcanzonieri on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:31 am

Andy_S wrote:Interesting, but, again, I do have to ask why Chen Fake (who taught his son, Chen ZK) did not teach them to anyone, why Chen Fake and ZK contemporary Chen Zhaopei did not know then (or even know of their existance), and why ZK taught these only to his Shanghai disciples - but not to his son, Chen Yu, nor to his relatives/students in the village ("the four tigers") at a time when both Chen ZP and ZK were making a strong effort to rejuvenate the almost lost art in Chenjiagou.

Three possibilities as I see it:

(1) It's a one-upmanship-based marketing ploy ("We have got the secret forms and you have not so ya, boo, sucks!") by the Shanghai peeps, who made up the forms themselves, or added forms from others styles and "Taiji-ised" them. Note also that not all the Shanghai Chen people have these forms. Ma Hong, a direct, Shanghai-based student of Chen ZK, does not know or teach 'em AFAIK.

(2) Chen ZK simply made the forms up in order to teach something "more" to the Shanghai peeps for financial or other reasons;

(3) There really IS a highly secret tradition of second and third forms, and this is just the first we have seen of it publically.

If the latter, it flies in the face of all the orthodox Chen literature and teaching, which states that there are two (not four!) empty hand forms - or was all that lit and teaching an elaborate smokescreen. Or perhaps the current village and Xian-based lineage holders never learned this stuff (though why not is unclear - as per above) and so will automatically state it ain't real. Eitehr way - secret, for sure!

I like the look of the forms, and they certainly LOOK Chennish, but of course the broader question is:
Does having an extra form or two make the Shanghai Chen group better at PH, free fighting, or healthier, than those of us poor saps who have only the two forms?

Yeah, I find this very perplexing as well.

Which is why an analysis of the postures and movements is needed, such as what percentage of postures/movements are found in what other sets from Chen TJQ or from what other styles? Following that, what percentage of the exact movements are also found in an other set from Chen TJQ or other style?

Looking at that video of this Chen ZK 108 set, I see a large percentage of the Long Fist movements originating from the Henan area such as Tai Zu Chang Quan, Chuao Jiao-Fanzi, Tong Bei Quan. So, that is consistent with the roots of the more commonly seen Chen Yi Lu set (lao jia).

Also, since photos of Chen Fake doing the Yi Lu set show him doing postures that are missing from today's Chen Village Yi Lu set (lao jia). These moves are consistent with the Tai Zu Chang Quan set that follows the same sequence as the Chen Yi Lu.
WHICH, I would think tells you that maybe Chen Fake (or his father) did have an extra influence, such as Long Fist from the Henan area; mayne they learned it as supplemental root material.
Or that his lineage passed along such "Hong Quan" root material that other lineages lost over time.

There is an important thing that needs to be seen to look into all this further.
And that is to see the 5 Hong Quan sets from Chen TJQ that is still done in the Shantong & Shanghai area
that come from the Chen bodyguard company that was set up there long ago.
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links