CMC PH, Sword and Form Class 8mm videos

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

CMC PH, Sword and Form Class 8mm videos

Postby Mike Roberts on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Cheng Man Ching, push hands class

Cheng Man Ching, sword class

Cheng Man Ching, form class

They was put on youtube in june but i must have missed them.

mike
"Real Taijiquan when looked at appears very simple, All of the gong fu, however, is on the inside."
Mike Roberts
Great Old One

Re: CMC PH, Sword and Form Class 8mm videos

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:08 pm

I dont understand why push hands and sticky sword is emphasized more than learning to punch with your fists or stab or thrust with a sword. My opinion- study striking and kicking and defending/countering from them first (out range training) and then deal with the closer range (inner grappling range) and sticking second. when i learned Taiji sword from a Master- we learned basic cutting and solo techniques first- the where, when, and how to attack and then later some sticky sword and sticky spear techniques later. in a fight i wouldnt let someone stick and connect with me- thats just dumb.
neijia_boxer

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 pm

push hands is a sensitivity drill. not a fighting technique.
sensitivity is an important thing when learning higher-level, "internal" focused martial arts.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Michael Babin on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 am

I'm actually a fan of CMC's two forms and have practised them semi-regularly for years, but I also agree with neijia_boxer.

Sensitivity drills are useless if they don't build on more basic fighting skills -- whether with a sword or the empty hand. Too many modern practitioners confuse yielding and sensitivity with the whole martial package when they are only aspects of a complete curriculum.

Fighting with swords is both the same and very different from fighting empty-handed. In the end, you have to be able to deal with crude attacks as well as with sophisticated ones and, if you were using real blades, there is little in the way of a "second-chance" if you make a mistake.

I suspect that real sword fights in China were just as short and messy as they would have been on a battlefield anywhere except in the martial fantasies of adolescents and movie producers.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:26 am

I started with CMC style and ventured off into other styles like Chen for comparative purposes...settling with Yang short form and Yang long form.. I know there is alot of use for push hands and sticky sword as well. I just want CMC and Taiji people to not forget that some knuckle-head might one day try to throw a punch at them. Tai chi chuan (chuan=fist) and so there is alot of crude kicks and punches and strikes in the system. i've lived in cities where you actually have to be on guard from a sucker punch from a passer by. I've seen this happen at least 3 or 4 times in my life, but not me cause i'm always ready.. even my boxing coaches who likes to do so.
neijia_boxer

Return to Video Links