Basic Throws

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Basic Throws

Postby MikeC on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:20 am

CaliG wrote:
From what I can tell it seems like SC has a whole system of these methods which they try to pass on to every student. Some people will figure it out for themselves but some never will. To me it's a little bit like the "guard." Judo has the guard but how many different strategies for passing the guard and defending the guard were known by the average judoka before BJJ went international? Also how many judoka blackbelts can defend from the guard against a BJJ blue belt?

Ok, I'll give you that. But my Shodan judo instructor for example, I can rarely pass his guard, and even if I do he ends up in just as good a position. And I've done a year of BJJ before coming to Judo.

From what I can tell most judoka would either just try to defeat the legs or choke their opponent from within the guard, but with a seasoned BJJ player that's not going to be enough.

Probably.

So I think the point here is that the average SC guy has a deeper understanding of the grip fighting/breaking game than the average judoka just as the average BJJ player has a deeper guard game and the Russians have a deeper understanding understanding of leg picks and leg locks. It doesn't mean they'll beat a good judoka at their own game, only that there are other training methods out there for improving your game which you might not learn in your average judo class.

I think grip fighting is like anything else. It's going to get better based more on how much you practice it in particular, rather than just what style you learn.

Mike
MikeC

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:46 pm

My teacher doesn't focus much on grips in shuai jiao. But we do things more from a standpoint of transitioning straight from punching and kicking to throwing. I personally prefer to wrap limbs up and stuff over grabbing a gi.

Oh yeah master Mollica showed his class a way to wrap up a persons behind the neck grip that once locked in is impossible to get out of and could result in a broken arm is you werent careful with the follow up throw. I am sure Fong knows it, you basically take your arm up on the outside and come down with the elbow in the inside then come back up behind their shoulder, it wraps the arm up and pins the wrist to your body and really kinds the wrist if they don't let go of your jacket.
Last edited by DeusTrismegistus on Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby nianfong on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:51 pm

ah I learned that before any SC even. my xingyi instructor showed that to us as a disarm. Dr. weng taught it to us as an application of brush knee twist step.

the tearing off of a grip transitions straight into throws. plus tearing is also pulling people towards you. if you tear while you "punch" you also get a another grip easier sometimes. it's complicated, but the techniques are drilled and practiced and combined.

deus, except for the front lapel grip and front belt grip (ok this may be a penis grab..haha), all of the SC grips have an analog to jacketless fighting. sleeve grip = elbow grip. neck grip = top lapel grip. rear belt grip = waist grip. It's good to know how to deal with someone who is already trying to grapple with you man.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:08 am

nianfong wrote:ah I learned that before any SC even. my xingyi instructor showed that to us as a disarm. Dr. weng taught it to us as an application of brush knee twist step.

the tearing off of a grip transitions straight into throws. plus tearing is also pulling people towards you. if you tear while you "punch" you also get a another grip easier sometimes. it's complicated, but the techniques are drilled and practiced and combined.

deus, except for the front lapel grip and front belt grip (ok this may be a penis grab..haha), all of the SC grips have an analog to jacketless fighting. sleeve grip = elbow grip. neck grip = top lapel grip. rear belt grip = waist grip. It's good to know how to deal with someone who is already trying to grapple with you man.

-Fong

Yea that why I like shuai jiao so much, almost everything is usable in any situation. As far as knowing how to deal with someone who is trying to grapple with me, I am no expert but I do ok. Except for on my own I haven't practiced just grappling since I was really young. In class we mix punching, kicking, throwing, and some ground stuff. We just don't have any type of sport influence so i when we practice if someone grabs me I usually punch them or something ;D My teacher never really focused on grip fighting even when he was taking students to the national shuai jiao tournies in the 90s and winning medals. I would like to learn more about it. I know the basics. I will probably get my teacher to show me more this winter, I plan on being at the great lakes again next year and I would like to be down a weight class and be better prepared than I was this last time around.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Btw Fong, thanks for the insights into grip breaking it's given me a lot to think about.
CaliG

Postby CaliG on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Crosley Gracie gave us an interesting lecture on grips today.

To sum it up basically he said, "Getting the right grip is the most important thing in jiu-jitsu. You can be in a bad position but if your hands are in the right place you can reverse it. But if your grips are wrong, forget about it you're in trouble. From now on when you do any move in jiu-jitsu the first thing I want you to think about is getting your grips."

The cool thing about it is that ever since I've been thinking about grips from what I've seen from the Russians and the Chinese my guard passing skills have gotten a lot better. I'm passing guards of higher belts which is new for me.

Just a cool thing I've been playing with.
CaliG

Previous

Return to Video Links