Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

Postby fuga on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 pm

A training partner was trying to take my back tonight and was nearly there so I grabbed his gi above my shoulders, did a backwards roll into N/S, and then arm barred him.

Later he accused me of being a ninja.

Heheh.

Of course, the rest of night I was squashed to the mat like a bug.

So it goes.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:01 am

fuga wrote:A training partner was trying to take my back tonight and was nearly there so I grabbed his gi above my shoulders, did a backwards roll into N/S, and then arm barred him.

Later he accused me of being a ninja.

Heheh.

Of course, the rest of night I was squashed to the mat like a bug.

So it goes.

That's cool ;D

My coach was giving a private lesson to a new guy on Sunday, and because I was around he got me to do the rolling bit of the lesson with him. The guy was a beast, very, very strong, but also a full-on white belt spaz. No technique just explosive muscle for everything. At some point in the roll I feel my knee tweak at the wrong angle. Finished the roll no problem, but when I stood up after I could tell I'd sprained something in my leg. Limped around yesterday- going down stairs was agony - but did a lot of Tai Chi in the morning and evening - and damn, today, it's 95% better! I thought it would take 2 weeks or something. Tai Chi is the ultimate jiujitsu injury recovery tool! Who knew! ;D

Now I can train tonight and re-injure it. Hurrah!
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:48 am

Ya should have tapped. You only got two knee joints...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:50 am

Dmitri wrote:Ya should have tapped. You only got two knee joints...

There was nothing to tap to! I think I was passing his guard, my leg went to a funny angle for a split second, felt a twinge, then I was passed. If he'd been knee barring me, then yeah, I'd have tapped quick!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:18 am

Ah, I see. Had those before... scares the crap out of me; what if it gets stuck and the guy moves (quickly) in the "wrong" direction? :-X but yeah, those just can't be helped, part of the deal... As one of the Gracies (I think?) said, "we're not baking cookies here" :)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:09 am

What do you mean we're not baking cookies here? Oh shit, no wonder everyone shakes their heads when I walk in with chocolate chips every night.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:59 pm

Dmitri wrote:Ah, I see. Had those before... scares the crap out of me; what if it gets stuck and the guy moves (quickly) in the "wrong" direction? :-X but yeah, those just can't be helped, part of the deal... As one of the Gracies (I think?) said, "we're not baking cookies here" :)

I hate to be the one to break it to you but you are baking cookies. ;D

As you were.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:00 am

Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:35 am

Any good videos on butterfly guard concepts?

I'm struggling with making it an aggressive, attacking guard.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:10 pm

Anything by Marcelo I guess, but following his lead, I think you get better results with combining butterfly, single x and x guard together. It's the use of the 3 together that makes it offensive.

If you're not adverse to spending money the Emily Kwok 'how to beat a bigger stronger grappler' vids are very good at showing how to integrate the 3 - you can get them as apps on iPhone. They're worth it.

Personally I add in collar sleave open guard from Saulo and Xande for scissor sweeps too.i find it integrates really well with the other 3.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Thanks. I do like the idea of combining guards and part of the way I am finding my way to the study the butterfly is out of HG.

At this point, I am really wanting to fine tune a couple of sweeps and submissions that I can string together from that position. I will look at Marcelo's strategies to see what I can pick and then run things by my coach.

I guess I am generally just feeling like I am setting up wrong and it is too easy for my training partner to grab a leg and drag it across. My hand fighting might not need to be where it needs to be.

Jiu jitsu: always something to figure out.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Ipon Seonage taught by a 5th dan judoka at the club last night. Just realised I knew nothing about throwing before! So many little details! Judo blows my mind!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:59 pm

fuga wrote:Thanks. I do like the idea of combining guards and part of the way I am finding my way to the study the butterfly is out of HG.

At this point, I am really wanting to fine tune a couple of sweeps and submissions that I can string together from that position. I will look at Marcelo's strategies to see what I can pick and then run things by my coach.

I guess I am generally just feeling like I am setting up wrong and it is too easy for my training partner to grab a leg and drag it across. My hand fighting might not need to be where it needs to be.

Jiu jitsu: always something to figure out.

Yeah - always tweaking the game - that's what keeps my interest I think!

I tend to think of butterfly more for sweeping than submitting but I always try to have a hand in the collar to threaten a cross collar choke, I even let them flatten my butterfly to draw them closer for the choke if it feels 'right' to do so.

The threat of a hand in the collar goes a long way to deterring them from grabbing your legs. It's essential.

I hang out in the collar grip, other hand on the mat behind you-style sitting guard a lot waiting for a reaction from them.

Keon Gracie does it a lot too. I've been thinking about this and I think that it's really 'collar grip' that is my personal guard at the moment. I hang out there and move to butterfly or x when I feel like a sweep is on.

Like this:

http://youtu.be/FP-qEk83DdQ

Open guard collar grip also works well with using turtle to reguard:

http://youtu.be/fqXet93lrSo

If they grab your pants:

http://youtu.be/wvYBwxJdcCE

Finally, this last one is the type of guard, but this time adding in the loop choke - I'm trying to get this into my game at the moment, still working on getting the finish with this, so it's a work in progress for me....

http://youtu.be/fYGUeQ0C3LE
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:49 am

I think this one is priceless for small details on setting up butterfly with the collar grip:

http://youtu.be/_3braRnOwFo
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links