Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

Postby gzregorz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 am

You guys like butterfly and I like deep half. Here's something for the both of us and other jiujitsu nerds.

If it seems kind of slow jump to 18:00 to see the technique used lived. This technique is gold. Although I haven't done this version I've done variations of it where you hook the ankle with your ankle when all else has failed. Either they're passing butterfly or they achieved the mount then you start to elbow escape or you can't get deep half. It can also be used to transition to the butterfly, the deep half or X guard. Although he doesn't show it here you can also go the back.

It's pretty simple to get. If you watch it once you'll see how often the opportunity arises. There's actually a high school kid who gets a variation of this and sweeps everyone with it. I like to use a variation of it against guys who have a mean cross face or Darce, because it keeps them from being able to put all their weight on you.

This is what I like bjj, you don't have to be a black belt and you don't even have to be Brazilian to create a new technique, you just have to open your mind and see what's there.

Good times and happy holidays!

Last edited by gzregorz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Re: Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks man! I'll definitely check it out.... sounds like it could be a great addition to my game...
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:05 am

I'll take a look at it. Thanks!
fuga
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Watched it - nice. That's my style of rolling, so I think ths will fit right in. One problem I find with this sort of guard is that if you are in a Gi a lot of it can be nullified by them gabbing your collar behind your head. At least that's what my black belt professor does to me whenever I go for an x guard like position. It means you can't sweep them backwards (it feels like you are pushing against yourself) and if they sit down well and sink their weight you can't take them over your head.

Talking of new and innovative guards have you guys heard of the Dariush guard? It's really nice - check it out. I started trying it last week and it works really well. I'll find the vid....
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:20 pm

I pulled off the sweet sweep at 20.30 when rolling just from watching this vid :) I love it because they think they've passed, and suddenly they're being swept and ending up in your side control.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:47 pm

You guys no I am no grappler, but as a fighter, my natural inclination is to add weight, please tell how this would work. I dont try to get off of the knee, rather I position my opposite leg forward and sit back on the knee placing all of my weight on the leg and forcing it down onto his chest , surely making it hard for his breathing, and giving me if only fleeting some advantage. Please only a curiosity
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Are you talking about forcing his buttery hook flat? The upper leg and knee are a lot stronger than you would think - its almost impossible to flatten them since they can easily support a man's weight. Hooks are amazing things - you can lift people right up with just your foot.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:30 pm

The weight to control the lever, maybe not flat but collapsed, I think it would be grappling sensitivity, not simple I'm sure , but possible? no ? and again I'm just thinking out loud.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Definitely worth finding a willing partner and trying.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:02 pm

I just tried it in class and it took a few tries. Usually I hook the ankle when their knee is down and I was doing only to be passed their knee was up. So I asked someone to let me have the position and I figured out that I needed to hook the knee when the knee is up as in the video. It worked like a charm and I was able to sweep.

Not sure if this would but if they're grabbing my collar I would try to roll them to the corner that arm would post in. The kid at gym will kick that leg high in the air making you do a shoulder roll.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:16 pm

actually I just realized I didn't do an X I just put both of my ankles again their single leg, 2 legs against 1 will always win.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:44 pm

I know I've said it before, but watching these clips, I realize and have to say again, I hate grappling because it's such damned hard work :-\
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby gzregorz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:52 pm

It is hard, but the injuries you get even at 100% are very low, if you're smart anyway. So even if you're not great you don't have to worry about getting hurt.

As far as a knee on the chest, the problem is you'd easier to roll over because you wouldn't have your base on the floor.
Last edited by gzregorz on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:41 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:I know I've said it before, but watching these clips, I realize and have to say again, I hate grappling because it's such damned hard work :-\

Yep - it makes you face your fears - like the fear that your cardio isn't up to it or that you are too old to do it. It's all in the mind :)
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:27 am

Yep G, you pretty much nailed it ;) the older you get the less energy you have to consume tussling, trying to find advantage, we learn to conserve, hence my original query :) the only part I take exception with, is the last part of your statement. Age plays, although in the game of survival rather than sport, adrenaline compensates. I guess we train internally, to try and call on adrenaline at will. 8-)
Train with a smile ;D merry Christmas
All my brothers "€
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links