Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:40 am

Got an example of how the 'folding them in half' thing works? Video preferably...

With these 'grip masters', you can get past their legs and they still recover guard because there's an obscure grip somewhere going on you hadn't even noticed ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:07 am

Yeah I know what you mean... annoying as hell. :)

Sorry I've no idea how to find a video example -- it's not a technique, its just something I found useful for me against those guys (we have a couple brown belts like that, they're ridiculously good without that shit as it is...) Basically, first you get them into a position where they're looking at you from between their shins :), or close to it, and just see if you can keep the pressure/don't let them "unfold" themselves from there, and slowly feel for their movements and neutralize (PH style) their attempts to spin, which is just about the only option they have from there.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:42 am

OK right - kind of like the double unders guard pass.

Or the gynaecologist position LOL ;D

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:51 am

Funny. Nah, to me that position seems bad for a come reasons, one being "hands can't protect face" problem :)

Anyway, what I was talking about is more like this:

Sorry I guess I should have just said "inverted guard" but that's not 100% accurate either... but very close. I find that those guys usually at some point during their game end up in this (or very similar) position.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:58 pm

Set your pass up on your terms rather than how they might be baiting you.

And then figure out the hierarchy of addressing grips and hooks. Generally there is an order to deconstructing their guard.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Yeah I didn't mean inverted I just meant people with really good defensive guards like Giani here fighting Marcelo:

http://youtu.be/NP1RVmH6TLk
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:28 am

Gina has started training at our club. It's an honour to share the mats with such an inspirational person and athlete:

Channel4 TV mini programme:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/disa ... on_twitter

Newspaper story:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Gina-Hopki ... story.html

There were no other female disabled athletes so she had to fight the guys last year in NYC. She brought back a gold in her division and bronze in the absolute!
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:56 am

^^ very cool.

GrahamB wrote:Yeah I didn't mean inverted I just meant people with really good defensive guards like Giani here fighting Marcelo:

I see now what you mean; the guys I was (and thought you were) talking about are more "spinny" and usually end up in inverted at some point -- and spin back into normal very easily. Major pain in the butt (to me).

Against a more "normal" guard like in that clip, -- I usually have/use only one pass, it's very slow and usually low, keeping head down and out of their reach, focus on/pin one leg first, keep constant weight/pressure on it and (somewhat) control their hips through it, and then find a way to gradually (and usually very slowly, when the guy has good skills) transition over it to the side. Have to be extremely patient and methodical. Omoplata or kimura are the usual dangers there, maybe an occasional triabgle attempt, -- just need to be aware of those. They could also try and get up -- but if there's enough pressure on that leg, that shouldn't be a big threat. FWIW
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:23 am

Yeah, she's amazing. This is a more up-to-date article on Gina:

http://www.bristol247.com/channel/sport ... h-ju-jitsu
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:26 am

Dmitri wrote:^^ very cool.

GrahamB wrote:Yeah I didn't mean inverted I just meant people with really good defensive guards like Giani here fighting Marcelo:

I see now what you mean; the guys I was (and thought you were) talking about are more "spinny" and usually end up in inverted at some point -- and spin back into normal very easily. Major pain in the butt (to me).

Against a more "normal" guard like in that clip, -- I usually have/use only one pass, it's very slow and usually low, keeping head down and out of their reach, focus on/pin one leg first, keep constant weight/pressure on it and (somewhat) control their hips through it, and then find a way to gradually (and usually very slowly, when the guy has good skills) transition over it to the side. Have to be extremely patient and methodical. Omoplata or kimura are the usual dangers there, maybe an occasional triabgle attempt, -- just need to be aware of those. They could also try and get up -- but if there's enough pressure on that leg, that shouldn't be a big threat. FWIW

This sounds like one of my favourite guard passes - the one Marcio Feitosa shows second in his Rolled up Episode - where he traps the bottom leg, then uses shoulder pressure to pin their hips while working his way around to the side - I find this works amazingly well on most people, then you come up against that one super amazing guard player with long legs ... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37lfCKVBGyA
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:41 am

We had this purple belt from Latvia a few years back, very nice guy and very skilled, who was 6'7" or 6'8" (don't remember now) -- now that was a whole different sort of experience... (OTOH that's probably how Pete feels all the time. ;D)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 am

lol ;D

We have TWO of these giants in our school! TWO!

You should see them roll with each other. :D
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:47 am

damn if those are A4 gi, the bloke on the left must be above 2m:)
Graham I think your teacher is your size? lucky for you:) Small guys bjj is completelly different to bigger ones:)
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:05 am

Yeah, we're the same height, except he's a wider frame, due to more muscle :)

They both go hard in rolling too :) I've rolled with the guy on the right (in the pic) quite a bit - my strategy is get on top, stay on top ;D If you end up in their closed guard it's so easy for them to sweep you because of the long legs.
Last edited by GrahamB on Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:14 pm

GrahamB wrote:my strategy is get on top, stay on top

thats frustrating for me when fighting smaller faster guys - Im ok with the guard, I can just sheer pressure them on top - (100kg shoulder pressure in my case is literally 100kg:)) but once they get me on the bottom and they keep moving - tough to catch up:)
Big guys rolling hard its a touchy topic:) I feel with weight advantage one should go hard only on bigger or higher belts:)
bartekb
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links