Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:37 pm

a gen question
how much time do you spend in the other arts relative to the pracitce of bjj
do those that spend a lot of time rolling still feel they are representative of their other arts

I dont see the same amount of hands on explanation offered as those that are offered or critiqued here.
I think it would tend to make a lot of threads a little more interesting in reading.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:00 pm

If we talk about techniques here nobody asks "is it internal?" That kind of helps....
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:40 pm

GrahamB wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Haven't done jits in two weeks and I don't care. :P

I may train tonight though. I hit major bjj burn out. I hope to be back but emotionally it doesn't even matter to me.

Weird...

What the hell is this? Snap out of it man! Or yeah, sometimes a break is needed. It's hard to find your fire if you're running on empty. Refuel and recharge.

Not sure what it is, it came out of nowhere. Probably just the monotony of getting to the gym and working on the same thing.

I'll be back, I'm just going let it play itself out.

It's sort of comparable to listening to one style of music everyday for years then one day waking up and deciding you don't feel like hearing it.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:13 pm

grzegorz wrote:Haven't done jits in two weeks and I don't care. :P

I may train tonight though. I hit major bjj burn out. I hope to be back but emotionally it doesn't even matter to me.

Weird...

Another option is to add a different element into it: put on some gloves and roll lightly, use some sticks for entry, blade around with training knives.

Also, it's summer time and it's nice just to chill and spend time with the family. As you know, jiu jitsu isn't going anywhere.

I was just off the mats for 6 weeks and while I am happy to finally be back again, I am definitely re-entering nice and slow. No comps ahead, no hard rolling for probably another 6 weeks. Will be taking a seminar on striking while grappling and then also will be starting up with the stick fighting class.

My major life goals for the next year or so are more focused on family, writing and finishing my Feldenkrais studies.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:24 pm

windwalker wrote:I dont see the same amount of hands on explanation offered as those that are offered or critiqued here.
I think it would tend to make a lot of threads a little more interesting in reading.

In this little corner of RSF, we just want to share what we are learning on our journeys and varied studies. As Middleway's sig lines says many paths, one mountain. In this thread, we pass each other on our paths and say hi.

In other threads, people often are telling others that their path is not a path. Why waste time going down that rabbit hole?
fuga
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Why waste time going down that rabbit hole?

I think because if more people attempted to do so, it would become more of sharing and discussion of understanding
some of the more recent threads seem to be evolving towards what you guys have going on here.

It would be nice to see the same type of discussions about using IMA,
or other CMA arts.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks Pete,

You're right there's no need to stress since BJJ will always be there.

Thinking about it we usually take time off to deal with injuries so why not take some time off by choice instead, once in awhile?

I'm sure I'll be back by the end of the month. I'm going to go see the UFC in San Jo next weekend I'm sure that will recharge my batteries.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:27 pm

GrahamB wrote:If we talk about techniques here nobody asks "is it internal?" That kind of helps....

Nevermind "internal".

It's much worse than that. How about that old, "techniques don't really matter once you understand the principles..." or "You just relax and follow his movement...no specific techniques in xyyz..." and "If he does A I do B is just too slow"...etc.

Or variations on that theme.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:11 pm

windwalker wrote:
Why waste time going down that rabbit hole?

I think because if more people attempted toit do so, it would become more of sharing and discussion of understanding
some of the more recent threads seem to be evolving towards what you guys have going on here.

It would be nice to see the same type of discussions about using IMA,
or other CMA arts.

I hear you Wind.

But having met some on here I'd say that most are looking for functional training more than preserving an ancient art.

I respect those who wish to uphold and carry on traditional arts. At one time that was my goal. I tried teaching though and it just didn't work out. I may teach again someday but next time I'll just do taiji for health.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:42 am

On the mats with the legend Nino Schembri today!

Had a fantastic roll with him. He was really just playing with me/us - very gentle. His jiu jitsu is a big influence on my professor, so it was good to go back to the source. He's such a relaxed mellow guy, and he's incredibly flexible - really feels like he's made of rubber - I tried to X-Guard him and he just stretches, so there's no sweep!
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 am

Dude, how much weight have you lost in the past 2-3 years? Looking good man
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 am

Dmitri wrote:Dude, how much weight have you lost in the past 2-3 years? Looking good man

Not enough! Still over where I should be, but it's coming down!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 am

Looks like fun. I am slowly returning to the mats. Just drilling. Only a few select light rolls per week.

And even with only that I am still a sweaty mess.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Bjj is cool - you can literally meet legends - and actually fight them! What other sport/ma can you do that with? It would be like yang Lu chan doing a seminar in your hometown, putting on gloves and getting down! ;D
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Jianhua on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:51 pm

GrahamB wrote:On the mats with the legend Nino Schembri today!

Had a fantastic roll with him. He was really just playing with me/us - very gentle. His jiu jitsu is a big influence on my professor, so it was good to go back to the source. He's such a relaxed mellow guy, and he's incredibly flexible - really feels like he's made of rubber - I tried to X-Guard him and he just stretches, so there's no sweep!

Awesome! Did you get to experience his omoplata or gogoplata?
Jianhua
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links