Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Deep Butterfly Half for Graham & Pete

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:23 pm

Yes, you definitely get to "face your fears" in BJJ!

Reminds me of this quote from the children's book:

"Does it hurt?" asked the Velveteen Rabbit .

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand. But once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

4 years in and I still get smashed by 'big Kev' who is 2 weight classes above me and a 3rd dan in JJJ. You've got to learn to love simply surviving ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:45 am

Hey Omar,

I had the same experience as you. It just happens. I wanted to learn BJJ as a technical art that had amazing pressure and leverage work.
My gym had a huge focus on tournaments and athleticism and first I found that very appealing. But many at the gym were often injured
and the alpha male atmosphere was just annoying after a while. Also people there confused athleticism with being healthy.

Take Care

Patrick
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby bailewen on Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:52 am

I wonder if the gym atmosphere will change.

The new coach is pretty positive and I never felt the class to be that agro. It's just very clear that there's a lot of emphasis on endurance. (And part too is probably just the language barrier) B for instance, he makes even basics an endurance sport. Once the running and the jumping jacks and the situps and the crunches and the more running and all the same basics I did before but as circuit training, even the drilling is aerobic. Last class I remember, he set up us 2 stripes or less (pretty new school, just a handful of blues, one purple and a bunch of whites), he set up newbies up to drill kimura'ing the guy in you guard. The last coach would tell us to do say, 10 reps on each side and then switch. This guy would just let you doing sit-up kimuras for like 10 minutes straight before switching. Or maybe 10 minutes straight of just triangling the guy. Not really step-by-step, just keep grips on both sleeves while you press one wrist down, pull the other over and pop your legs over. Rinse and repeat. No need to totally finish it.

I can really see the value if you're goal is to compete. Just drill the living daylights out of the basics till you can do them in your sleep and make sure your are NEVER the one who gasses first. Even his guard pass was very smash-and-pass. The last guy was all about standing up. Both of them were little guys though which makes the smash 'n pass strategy interesting.

FWIW, the first one was from a team I'd never heard of before but I see him pretty regularly on facebook back in Brazil or judging stuff internationally. The new guy is from BTT so...no f'ing joke. I REALLYdon't want to leave the impression he's not a great coach. Just not the best match for me.
Click here for my Baji Leitai clip.
www.xiangwuhui.com

p.s. the name is pronounced "buy le when"
bailewen
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:01 am

btw, all 3 of you, great comment. Thanks for the feedback. I just felt like my post was getting too long to address all the comments one by one.

p.s.

good times...

Last edited by bailewen on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:42 am

Looks like you've got him right where you want him Omar ;D

b.t.w this is a great throwing video - all my favourites:

https://www.facebook.com/BJJPix/videos/910977125629665/
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bailewen on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:25 am

Most important part is the smile Graham. He's just show-boating there.

*not that you didn't know it already*

Nice vid, btw.

One item, kind of a shame...maybe one of my absolute favourite 2 or 3 classmates from the old BJJ group, huge dude, maybe 2 meters, crazy long legs (spider guard), left class and moved on to Shuai Jiao. I mean, not a shame he's doing Shuai Jiao. That's cool. Just a shame he's not in the group any more. He was a real gentle giant. Real supportive. Nice guy.
www.xiangwuhui.com

bailewen
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:13 am

Yep - you've got to find your buddies on the mat - the ones you can work on stuff with without having to kill each other ;D

In other news - I'm very impressed with this guy's cerebral approach to technique:

Guard recovery seminar:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vLQgkuGHU0
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:03 am

Patrick wrote:Hey Omar,

I had the same experience as you. It just happens. I wanted to learn BJJ as a technical art that had amazing pressure and leverage work.
My gym had a huge focus on tournaments and athleticism and first I found that very appealing. But many at the gym were often injured
and the alpha male atmosphere was just annoying after a while. Also people there confused athleticism with being healthy.

Take Care

Patrick

I hear that! I didn't mind for the most part but I can remember tapping out a cop and he could never get over it because he was a wrestling champ. One day during class he was sitting on the side of the mat just staring at me and I would look back like you would with anyone you know then finally after a few minutes of this he screamed, "What the f*** you looking at!?!"

Another time at the same school a very flexible guy in his forties came in and had a ton of energy. He was a karate instructor and was on a liquid only diet which he said is why he had so much energy. In the locker room I asked a guy twice as big and half his age how he did with the "old man" and he told me that he kicked the old man's a**.

Yeah, the cheese is old and moldy.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Omar,

The long road of jiu jitsu is tough.

It's hard being the old guy in the gym. Even harder also being one of the smallest.

It's frustrating when you hit valleys in your training. It's a jolt to the ego when a lower belt taps you.

Sometimes it's hard to deal with the testosterone and the politics or the power structure in the club.

You get injured. Good training partners never show up again.

Jiu jitsu is not for everyone.

There's no reason be embarrassed about losing interest. Most people quit at white belt. Not a judgment. Just a fact.

You get to a point in your life and if something is not fun or meaningful, you can make a choice to eliminate that activity. Nothing wrong with that. But just because things are different and not how you imagined them does not mean that you should necessarily give up on jiu jitsu, especially if on a basic level you were enjoying it.

On a side note, training only 1 or 2 days per week makes it really hard to get a baseline of conditioning to handle classes. It was not until I was three months into training and had increased to training 3-4 times per week that the cardio things got a little easier. Even then being older, conditioning is always a challenge so I put extra effort into it so that the limiting factors are more around technique.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:31 pm

It is tricky because the competitiveness of bjj is the reason why it enjoys so much success.

The same is true for judo in most other countries. I can't imagine doing judo in Korea for example, I hear they go so hard on each that each match is considered life or death and as a result they produce some of the best in the world.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IAu6iT2qJyU

I do agree that it's probably best to try to get through at least one year before moving on.

Omar's flexibility will definitely come in handy in developing a good guard.

Even with the testosterone filled stories I'd still go back if I could but I would have to switch jobs before committing to regular training again.

Even when I was doing bjj and judo three times a week it wasn't until I started running that my cardio became an advantage, as Pete said when you get older you have more homework outside of class to keep up with the twenty year olds.

Of course kettle bells always help too.
Last edited by grzegorz on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:52 am

We've got BJJ legend Nino Schembri coming to our class this Friday - I'm pretty excited! He's doing a seminar on Wednesday 22nd at our gym, and also various other places in the UK throughout the following weeks. Check Salvo's Facebook page if you want to find out where they are...
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:25 am

White Belt Story - interesting doc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=330&v=mBFnQMsQ5B0
Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:30 am

Tips on grappling over 30 - number 8, yay steroids! Get juicing! ;D

http://www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com/2013 ... -after-30/
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:10 am

In case anyone missed the McGregor thread.

grzegorz wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Renner was a commentator on the first Metamorris and was genuinely terrible - he didn't explain the action very well and kept saying "interesting" over and over, and saying "my grandfather's jiujitsu" every 2 minutes. He was a disaster.

You mean it wasn't "AMAZING?"

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wgxqo48NXM
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 am

GrahamB wrote:Tips on grappling over 30 - number 8, yay steroids! Get juicing! ;D

http://www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com/2013 ... -after-30/

My old coach posted this on his FB page. It seems to pertain to what we've been discussing with regards to getting older.

Crosley Gracie

Yesterday at 10:41am · Edited · 

Came across this article this am and felt like sharing a bit of what I think on the subject. First off, great insight, whoever wrote it. Thanks for contributing to the success of others in our loved art.

When I was on my 20's, I used to think that I had a tremendous advantage over guys who were 30+. I used to see them as "old" (respectfully) and probably not as physically gifted or hungry as I was. Now that I'm on the other side, although most of what the article mentions might be perceived as we are at an disadvantage, I believe not (and again, it's always about perspective and what you believe and don't believe, anyway). I always believe in myself over anyone else, regardless of age difference, but facts are facts and having a good understanding of it will definitely maximize our successes.

The approach has to change. Training smarter, not harder, became a cliché phrase. But if you know what you are doing as a 30+ year old, I don't see a 20 year old having any advantage over me these days. Keeping healthy is key. I've taken maintaining my health with the ingestion of healthier foods and supplements a lot more serious now. Same with sleep and how to train in comparison to just rolling without warming up, although I catch myself doing this occasionally, still. 

Except for a herniated disc I acquired 5 years ago, I haven't had any serious injuries to my body and joints. Ever since that injury, though, I changed my approach to supplementing my training with weight lifting. I no longer feel the necessity to do squats or deadlifts with anything but my body weight. Despite it not affecting me at all these days, my routine now consists of 4, 5 sets of 45 reps, low weight, to strengthen my tissues and joints, not to just build muscle. Everything I do for myself and teach in my classes has a more functional approach than before. And I'll continue implementing more of those as I learn.

I would have never had this perspective on my 20's. Back then it was all about working out to get stronger, which was great for that time. But we must ADAPT, and that's a key word to not only extend the lifespan of your Jiu-Jitsu training, but to life overall (ask Charles Darwin). 

It's about education and discipline to implement what you know, even when you don't feel like. Jiu-Jitsu training isn't only about over lasting your opponent, Jiu-Jitsu is much bigger that that. It's a bible for the human body, mind and soul. Too bad the vast majority of practitioners will not train long enough to be exposed to the deeper meanings of it, and some who do, won't learn how to apply it.

With that, I'll leave a comment that I tell of our students who say they wish they had come across Jiu-Jitsu 15, 20 years ago:

"Be thankful that your came across this (Jiu-Jitsu) in your (life) path at all. Many people out there could learn and apply the teachings of the classes into their lives even more than you or I, but was, or never will be lucky enough to know anyone who knows or come across this information on their own, their entire lifetime."

Enjoy each day from here on out and be appreciative of every lesson learned about yourself, good or bad. At the end of the day, it all about self-improvement as learning is a lifelong pursuit. - Crosley Gracie Ac

8 Tips For Grappling After 30 | Jiu-Jitsu BrotherhoodAn article describing how to make the most of your training in grappling after 30.

http://www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links