We will miss you Master David...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: We will miss you Master David...

Postby JRRodriguezIV on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:19 am

Hi Wayne, thanks Andy, honestly the only thing I know about Liu Hong Ba Tsu (that's the way we were told to spell it, but I'm aware of the other spellings like Lu Hong Ba Shi or Baji) is very little.

I know it's possibly a form of Long Fist, I also know that Wu Yihui taught it in tandem with Liuhebafa. Master David himself is not very sure about it's history, he really didn't care much about history to begin with. He said that Lu Hong is always associated with LHBF, they are taught together. LH can teach someone to fight in 4 months, but after 3 years the LHBF practitioner can beat the LH practitioner. All of LH's moves are already inside LHBF, so it isn't very essential to teach it to our students, though we were taught it early during our time. It has eight sets, and you have to do it both ways, left side and right side. Fighting with it relies a lot on your eyes, and not sensitivity. We have sort of incorporated a bit of sensitivity with it, and you can see that LH form used with the video of Dylan being thrown.

Master David also said that Lu Hong was the name of the one who invented the style, but that seems contradictory so I don't know if it's accurate. He said it's probably as old as LHBF, or maybe even older, again I haven't found any verification about its age.

Master David's Liu Hong Ba Tsu Quan was extensively given to him by Yin T’ien Hsiung, as he was somewhat a disciple of Yin T’ien Hsiung, which Lau Sam Mok was sort of jealous about, because he was also a disciple of Lau. Yin T’ien Hsiung was the classmate of Chan Yikyan under Wu Yihui, but he concentrated his time primarily on mastering LH.

Master David always called Yin T’ien Hsiung the Lu Hong master. Every time Lau's school (Hong Kong Hwa Yu Xinyi Liuhebafa Association) was challenged, it was either Yin T’ien Hsiung or Master David who would face the challengers. If master David loses the challenge, Yin T’ien Hsiung would win as he was undefeated, again I cannot verify.

I'll share two photos now, the family asked me to fix them for the wake and so I scanned and edited them, and here's the finished copies. Not everyone knew that after Bruce Lee died, Master David was the first choice to double him for the movie Game Of Death, but his immigration papers to the Philippines were set and his flight was scheduled 1 to 2 weeks after shooting would have started, so he rejected the offer. The producers got the 2nd guy to finish the movie. These photos were taken sometime before, during, or after the audition (most probably FOR the audition):

David Chan 1970's 600dpi 02 EDITED - Hong Kong by JR Rodriguez IV, on Flickr

David Chan 1970's 600dpi 01 EDITED - Hong Kong by JR Rodriguez IV, on Flickr
Last edited by JRRodriguezIV on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 am, edited 11 times in total.
JRRodriguezIV
Anjing

Postby Strange on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:03 am

JR, Thanks for sharing.
in the vid, from his moves, i had no wiff of an idea that he was on chemo.
no need to apologise, gets me hot all over when ppl cannot see any skill in plain sight: get educated, get lasik or get both.

yes, i was taught that Lu Hong is the name of the creator. It was a very famous fighting art; i was told by me teacher some ppl put up with learning lhbf just so they could get their hands on LH, back in the day heh heh.

very handsome pics there. you take care brother. peace.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:32 am

wow he does look a lot like Bruce Lee. Sorry to hear for your loss. RIP
neijia_boxer

Postby chud on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for sharing the pics and also the info about the Liu Hong Ba Tsu style.
chud
Great Old One

Postby JRRodriguezIV on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 am

Strange wrote:JR, Thanks for sharing.
in the vid, from his moves, i had no wiff of an idea that he was on chemo.
no need to apologise, gets me hot all over when ppl cannot see any skill in plain sight: get educated, get lasik or get both.

yes, i was taught that Lu Hong is the name of the creator. It was a very famous fighting art; i was told by me teacher some ppl put up with learning lhbf just so they could get their hands on LH, back in the day heh heh.

very handsome pics there. you take care brother. peace.

Nice! You're the first outsider (hehe, everyone are outsiders in my perspective), who confirms something similar that he taught us. It is difficult most of the time to differentiate tall stories from fact. Thanks bro.

Regarding the vids after chemo, now many may understand why I always said he was using only up to 20% of his actual maximum capacity. 8-)
Last edited by JRRodriguezIV on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JRRodriguezIV
Anjing

Postby JRRodriguezIV on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:07 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:wow he does look a lot like Bruce Lee. Sorry to hear for your loss. RIP

Like many during that era, Bruce was his idol. He said that Bruce would watch their lessons for hours on end in his school, Hong Kong Hwa Yu Xinyi Liuhebafa Association. That started after Bruce was rejected as a LHBF student by Chan Yikyan (also possibly Lau Sam Mok), but then he was allowed to watch the lessons if he wanted to. Again that story is according to Master David's experiences, but I still cannot find any verification on it. Hopefully one day I can meet his best friend who was also his martial brother, and he might confirm it or not. 8-)
Last edited by JRRodriguezIV on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRRodriguezIV
Anjing

Postby XinKuzi on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for sharing (those pictures are great). I'm very sorry for your loss.
XinKuzi
Great Old One

Postby allen2saint on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 pm

May perpetual light shine on him and may he be joined with all that he loves in the afterlife.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby transit on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:18 am

Grandmaster David Chan perfoming Liuhebafa's foundational form.
transit
Santi

Postby Overlord on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:34 am

In Baji and certain style of Bagua, there is a description of kungfu level called Hu Bei Xiong Yao ( Tiger back, Bear waist).
Amazing!
Last edited by Overlord on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby JRRodriguezIV on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:28 am

Fantastic, Transit! I didn't know this video existed. Thanks. What year did you shoot this? 8-)
Last edited by JRRodriguezIV on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRRodriguezIV
Anjing

Postby suckinlhbf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 am

Thanks, Transit. Great Performance.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 am

Really nice :D seldom have I seen this form done so recognizably, really a comfort to see, ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:57 pm

transit wrote:

This is some good lhbf
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby JRRodriguezIV on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 pm

wayne hansen wrote:

This is some good lhbf[/quote]

He was privately tutored by Chan Yik Yan himself for over two years, because Lau couldn't properly teach the fighting applications. The drama master David went through to become Chan's pupil is written in our website. In a nutshell, Chan corrected Master David's form and concentrated on fighting applications, at the end both their forms looked very mirrored when they performed together. 8-)
JRRodriguezIV
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links