GM Liu Yun Qiao talk on nurturing Qi

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

GM Liu Yun Qiao talk on nurturing Qi

Postby SPJ on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xt-W24E7As

nurturing qi and return to the source/origin.

8-)
Last edited by SPJ on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPJ
Wuji

Re: GM Liu Yun Qiao talk on nurturing Qi

Postby Bob on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 am

Wow, what a find! I believe this is the translation from the pamphlet/booklet that was put out with Liu in the same clothing---I suspect the pictures were taken from this session. Here is what I believe is the translation from the book which will fit the clip---Please, SPJ, make all commentary and corrections--although used this in baji training and we referred to it as baji qi gong for lack of a better term, I suspect it is really something much more general.

Baji Qi Gong

Liu Yun Qiao

Preface to the Qi Gong Set

The most important movement in the qi gong set is the hun yuan posture. The hun yuan posture is a method of nurturing the qi which is a combination of heaven, man, and earth. The posture is the beginning step to enter the Dao.

The most essential idea of the hun yuan posture is wu ji [emptiness]. Within emtiness there is reality and through reality is born tai ji. After tai ji there is liang yi [two ideas] which contains the si xiang [4 images]. The 4 images thereby create the ba gua [8 trigrams] of the body. After arriving at ba gua there is a return to wu ji [emptiness/nothingness], which is the hun yuan.

The complete process of hun yuan goes as follows: wu ji --> tai ji --> liang yi --> si xiang --> ba gua --> Liu shi si gua [64 hexagrams] --> ba gua --> si xiang --> liang yi --> tai ji --> tai ji --> wu ji.

Even though the movements of the qi gong hun yuan set is simple, the blood and qi move through the 12 meridians, 3 yin channels and 3 yang channels. There is a nuturing method to turn essence [jing] into energy [qi] and finally into spirit [shen].

With constant practice the set will benefit the body and mind. If one already has a background and is practicing the martial arts, one will gain even greater benefits by practicing the set.

The abdomen is the point of wu ji [emptiness]

The navel is the point of tai ji.

The two kidneys are the liang yi [two ideas]

The two arms and legs are the si xiang [4 images]

The eight sections of the legs and arms are the ba gua [8 trigrams]

Combining the joints of the appendages is the liu shi si gua [64 hexagrams].

Explanation of the Exercises

1) Wu Ji [emptiness]

Step 1: Relax the entire body
Step 2: Empty the mind
Step 3: Breath deep and long maintaining calmness

2) Tai ji [extreme polarity]

Step 1: naturally lif the arms, as shown in the picture, as if holding a ball at chest level
Step 2: place your attention at the zhong gong point

3) Liang Yi [two ideas]

Step 1: naturally lower both arms as if holding something tothe lower abdomen. Slightly bend the kness.
Step 2: Maintain you attention at the zhong gong point.

4) Si Xiang [4 images]

Step 1: slowly straighten the knees
Step 2: Both arms then are lifted up to the fron of the chest.
Step 3: move the qi down into the legs and up into the arms.

5) Ba Gua [8 trigrams]

Both arms straighten to the fron. At the same time breath out through curled lips.

6) Liu Shi Si Gua [64 trigrams]

Step 1: The straightened arms are now spread out to the sides of the body at should height with palms facing up. Stretch all the limbs including the toes, fingers, arms, legs and breath in.

Step 2: The toes grab the ground and the "bubbling spring" point is lifted up. The fingers of each hand slowly bend at each joint until forming a fist. Close [hold] the breath.

7) Ba Gua [8 trigrams]

Step 1: return the arms to the sides of the shoulders

Step 2: hold the breath.

8) Si xiang [4 images]

Step 1: move the fists together at the chin.

Step 2: continue holding the breath.

9) Liang Yi [two ideas]

Step 1 use force to press the fists together

Step 2: swallow the breath

Step 3: Both fists become palms and the fingers hand naturally and relaxed.

10) Tai Ji [extreme polarity]

Step 1: The body relaxes and the hands return to the zhong gong point.

Step 2: breath out through the mouth.

11) Hun Yuan Posture

Step 1: Both arms are lowere to the side of the body.

Step 2: remove all thoughts, empty the mind.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1591

SPJ, where do you believe this fits into Liu's training regime?

I've heard one person, not in my circle, refer to this as the qi gong that Liu practiced when staying in Yan Tai with Gong Bao Tian.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby count on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Thank you both, this is a good find, indeed.
Live it or live with it.
count
Great Old One

Postby SPJ on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Bob;

Yes, the information you posted is corresponding to the video clip.

In the video clip, GM Liu recommeded us;

1. after some practicing, we may use this set to relax or cool down.

2. we have to do the set as slowly as we can, over time, the set will help us to nurture Qi. The longer time we hold in each posture the better.

for the most part, the translated info is good.

GM Liu mentioned a few more details in the video;

such as in the posture that both arms stretched out and being level, we have to "raise" our "anus". focus qi upward etc.

agreed that the clip is gold or with great historical values.

8-)
Last edited by SPJ on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPJ
Wuji

Postby ghnorcross on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:06 am

Hi Bob, I always enjoy the videos you post. - What would be the english translation for zhong gong and hun yuan?

SPJ - Thanks for posting the video!
ghnorcross
Santi

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:35 am

Hey Bob,

I don't know that I've actually seen it but Dr. Xie has a "hunyuan qigong" set as well. I wonder if it's the same. The hands to the throat seems familiar.

I'll have to ask around.

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:55 am

D_Glenn:

How about throwing up a good defintion of hun yuan---I know another version of what Liu has in the clip---very close with a bit more more body movement. I also learned a set of qi gong from Dr. Chen Qingping which he said was hun yuan qi gong so I suspect this term is very general category of practice because he read Liu's pamphlet about 10 years back and told me the material I was learning was hun yuan qi gong and the same as what he was teaching me although the body movements were completely different.

http://www.chenacupunctureohio.com/

http://neigong.net/2008/07/07/the-funda ... an-qigong/

Hunyuan is a Daoist term which is difficult to translate, but which can best be imagined as the nucleus of a human cell. The chromatin, the genetic code which moves chaotically, that is spontaneously, is like prenatal chaos - the “primary mass”, the cosmic primordial ocean. In this prenatal and chaotic state the chromosomes are invisible, intangible. When cells begin to divide themselves, two energetic poles are created, and the previous “chaotic” chromatin begins to spiral toward the poles until the poles have gathered enough energy to produce a single cell. Hunyuan depicts this moment where the primary mass, or the “absolute highest” (Taiji), creates the polarity and appears in various forms only to ultimately return once again to the whole. Hunyuan is the sacred process of the creation of a form which is created from the void. Thus, what is typical of Hunyuan is that these processes flow in an extraordinarily circular manner. More about this in the next chapter
Last edited by Bob on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Great Old One

Return to Video Links