Hong Yi Hsiang student

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Hong Yi Hsiang student

Postby Mr_Wood on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:43 pm

A good reference for what the Chicken form as taught by Master Zhang Junfeng should look like. (Hong learned initially from Master Zhang).

Yeah this is the same as what I was taught via L9H Hsu Hong-Chi etc.. From the original post some of the footwork looked different and timing not quite right.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby wushutiger on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:04 pm

I practice Hebei Xingyi and we both issue force and sometimes not, depending on what we are focussing on at the time. There is no set rule. As for this guys XY, I feel its all arms...
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Ah! Someone else has seen it
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:35 am

I practice my chicken form very close to what Luo shows in the vid that Ken posted. Abi's version hurts my eyes. He has added all sorts of extra motions that do not add anything to the form.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:15 pm

the first time i saw lou do this i thought this a hsu hong chi form
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Kenneth and Bill - how long back can you trace your rooster form? The rooster form I know is significantly different from the one passed down through Zhang Junfeng (even though there are of course very general outlines which remain the same, and both forms can be instantly recognized as XYQ roosters). I wonder when down the line from Li Luoneng the form was changed, or whether there were several distinct forms for rooster to begin with. Unfortunately, I cannot say who of my grand-teacher's 4 different XYQ teachers taught him our rooster, and they came from different lines. The form we practice begins with a 'chicken pecking' movement, during which you advance with a half-step and make a short Pi 'pecking' strike with the palm to the chest area. This pecking movement is repeated 4 times in succession at the beginning of the form. In terms of shenfa, I think our rooster is the animal we have that retained the closest connection to Dai XinYi. Some of the movements are anyhow similar to what Li Tailiang does here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYfZJGZqJA (the two consecutive pecking movements he does with an open palm are similar to those I wrote of in our form).
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:13 pm

I learned directly from Master Zhang Junfeng and his wife, Zhang Xu Baomei. Master Zhang learned from Gao Yisheng (who learned Xingyi from Li Cunyi). Master Zhang also learned from a close student of Li Cunyi.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:31 am

kenneth fish wrote:I learned directly from Master Zhang Junfeng and his wife, Zhang Xu Baomei. Master Zhang learned from Gao Yisheng (who learned Xingyi from Li Cunyi). Master Zhang also learned from a close student of Li Cunyi.

Did Zhang ever refer to things that he himself has changed/added to the art, or that his teachers have?
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:15 am

Our Rooster is different to this aswell. Our style is Shang style, and the closest video I have seen is done by Liu Junfeng, which is another Shang stylist but off a different lineage after Shang Yunxiang.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 am

Jonathan:

My study with Master Zhang did not focus on academic or historical interests or details of lineage
Last edited by kenneth fish on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:10 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Jonathan:

My study with Master Zhang did not focus on academic or historical interests or details of lineage

I was just asking because usually, Chinese teachers don't tend to mention stuff like "this I added to the system", or "that was an addition of my teacher". However, a few generations down the road, it becomes interesting to know what had been the original version of a certain movement/method, and why such and such teachers thought it should be changed.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Gao Yisheng, Master Zhang's teacher, learned Bagua for 15 years from Zhou Yuxiang, a major student of Li Cun Yi and Cheng Tinghua. Gao also learned Xingyi from Zhou Yuxiang. Master Zhang also studied Xingyi "in the school of" Li Cunyi (in other words, he learned from a student of Li Cunyi, but officially bowed to Li as a student). In addition, Gao Yisheng learned for a time from Yin Fu. I have seen other people from Li Cunyi's line do their 5 elements and some of the animals the way Master Zhang taught. Some of the animal movements are identical to Xue Dian's version (particularly Tiger). As Xue was very influential in Xingyi in Tianjin during that time, it may be that Master Zhang picked up some of his material from there.

But, as Grace Slick noted, it doesn't mean shit to a tree.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Abi Moriya on Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing my vid and taking your time to comment.
It is not available in the above link, but you can watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDSkezcttZ0

A few remarks:
The performance was quit spontaneous. I was teaching Xingyi in the park and was asked by the orgenizer of the "World Tai Chi & Chi Kung Day" to give a small demo, so this is the result.

Regarding my Xingyi training I was learning with teacher Hong Yixiang during 1986-1989, when I lived in Taipei. My Kung Fu brothers are Markus Brinkman, Christopher Bated, and Ashley Hines.
After teacher Hong passed away in 1993, till today, I was learning with Hong Zehan, Luo Dexiu, and Su Dongchen in Taiwan, Japan, and Israel, whenever possible. On top of that I learned some Yiquan with Fong Ha.
I have no background in Chen Taiji, as this was speculated here.

The staff form is not traditional Xingyi. I created it by myself, based on the "Feng Mo Gun" form (no connection to Pigua's form) I learned from Peng Hanping in Taiwan. I later mixed it with Xingyi staff movements with some of my ideas.

Best regards,
❖ Abi
Last edited by Abi Moriya on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abi Moriya
Santi

Postby Overlord on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:20 pm

AFAIK, GM Hong's Rooster frame is more compacted and lower.
And Bengquan used in this form is powerful and deadly.
This type of Bengquan is considered for "indoor student" only in today China.

GM Hong was very serious about the details of this form.
A lot talk on Hong's teaching but little to defend his honour.
Sad....
Last edited by Overlord on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overlord

Postby Overlord on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 pm

jonathan.bluestein wrote:
kenneth fish wrote:Jonathan:

I was just asking because usually, Chinese teachers don't tend to mention stuff like "this I added to the system", or "that was an addition of my teacher". However, a few generations down the road, it becomes interesting to know what had been the original version of a certain movement/method, and why such and such teachers thought it should be changed.

True
Last edited by Overlord on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links