Hong Yi Hsiang student

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Hong Yi Hsiang student

Postby Josealb on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:41 am

Wanderingdragon wrote:Can't decide if its his height or is something missing. He seems connected but it just doesn't seem to flow. Looks as throw all power is generated by movement, but only forced by the legs, the upper body seems absent in the power generation other than coordinated movement. That is my befuddlement, maybe his open and close is so subtle that I cannot detect it do to his height, I'm pretty sure if he were to actually noticeably opening and closing, or showing the spinal wave, I'd be sitting here calling it over exaggerated. Again if you can't touch it you can't know it.

Whats missing is dragon body (look at his back and how it doesnt speak the same language as the limbs). The edges of the movements are square as well, and thats why it seems like he is segmenting every move into smaller parts. Just some feedback on his form, which says nothing on how he applies it, of course.

All this is fine of course, if someone has made a direct relationship between their flavor movement and their application. Whatever method you use, even if its not the standard, you might specialize in it and even be more effective using it than someone else that uses a more traditional method. Whatever works, however it looks, i say. Just dont call it something it is not.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:41 am

This clip of Luo Dexiu shows a form that is much closer to the way I learned it at Master Zhang's school - really only minor differences.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 am

This clip shows Master Zhang doing our Monkey form. The monkey portions are linked by movements from the Chicken set.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Abi Moriya on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Thank you for your greetings Tom.

Overlord: I really can't follow very well what you are saying. "GM Hong was very serious about the details of this form". By referring to Hong Yixiang as GM I guess you never learned with him. I wonder how you concluded his form was more compact ? Did you ever met him ? Any form is a self-expression. A big man does not move like a small one, so as long as you keep the correct principles it is fine. Teacher Hong watched me preform this form endless times. Even he wasn't as critical as you...

Different periods of life, different expressions. There was a short time I competed with this form in the USA when I was younger:
1991 - Tat Mau Wong International: 3rd place in the Xingyi / Bagua category. Ken Fish was one of the referees.
1995 - NY Open: 2nd place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO81lY09Ryo

Enjoy watching and have a good night.
Abi Moriya
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:39 pm

That one is much better than the first clip
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Abi Moriya wrote:Thank you for your greetings Tom.

Overlord: I really can't follow very well what you are saying. "GM Hong was very serious about the details of this form". By referring to Hong Yixiang as GM I guess you never learned with him. I wonder how you concluded his form was more compact ? Did you ever met him ? Any form is a self-expression. A big man does not move like a small one, so as long as you keep the correct principles it is fine. Teacher Hong watched me preform this form endless times. Even he wasn't as critical as you...

Different periods of life, different expressions. There was a short time I competed with this form in the USA when I was younger:
1991 - Tat Mau Wong International: 3rd place in the Xingyi / Bagua category. Ken Fish was one of the referees.
1995 - NY Open: 2nd place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO81lY09Ryo

Enjoy watching and have a good night.

Abi,

Ken basically asserted GM Hong was expelled by Zhang Junfeng.
And AFAIK, this is not true.
You are Hong's student, tell me what is your stance on this issue? No ambiguity please.

I told the truth, Hong's rooster form is lower and more compact, and the Bengquan is really deadly.
You don't have to believe me, take it or leave it. It's not my job to convince you.
BTW, did you change the form?

And yes, the last years of Hong's skills are way more refined.
Last edited by Overlord on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Overlord

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:44 pm

+1
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links