Wei Shuren

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Wei Shuren

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:14 am

I often search for new Tai Chi clips, but this one was a bit hard to find. A new clip with a very old Wei Shuren.

The young guy John must be the same who posted a few interesting clips in the channel ImperialTaichi, a frequent contributor at the kungfumag forum. I don't know if he lurks around here... But it would be interesting to hear stories from his meetings with the old master.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Wei Shuren

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:31 am

I like Wei Shuren's stuff. HE appears to bridge "old" and "new" era taijiquan in the manifestation of his external form. Some element of 'pre Yang before the Change into what is today known as Yang style. Similar to Liu Chengde's template!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 pm

yeniseri wrote:I like Wei Shuren's stuff. HE appears to bridge "old" and "new" era taijiquan in the manifestation of his external form. Some element of 'pre Yang before the Change into what is today known as Yang style.

Yeah, I like a lot of the stuff he does. I don't know if it's only his form you mean, but they call it Imperial Yang, so it should have some differencies. Some of what he does looks like small frame mechanics but with bigger movements. The mechanics are more refined and detailed, but visually it's a medium frame.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby oskar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:56 am

Don't know if you guys have heard but Wei Shuren passed away just last week, June 11, 2013. He was my teacher Lü Baochun's Yang taiji teacher. What i have understood Lü's understanding of taiji was greatly influenced by Wei Shuren.

http://slantedflying.com/master-wei-shuren-passes-away/
oskar
Anjing

Postby oskar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:05 am

Here is a short clip where my teacher is being tossed by Wei. (The second guy being tossed)

oskar
Anjing

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:36 am

R.I.P.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:17 pm

oskar wrote:Don't know if you guys have heard but Wei Shuren passed away just last week, June 11, 2013.

Damn, what a loss. Had no idea. Thanks oscar.

R.I.P
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Jarek on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:54 am

Sorry to hear that Mr Wei passed away, it is a huge loss to Taiji community.
I visited him back in late 1990s in his home near Tiantan Park in Beijing, and spent an afternoon interviewing him and feeling his power. I did not challenge him, we did some gentle push hands, but his power was overwhelming. Just by coincidence I found the compact cassettes with the interview today. Must transcribe them and publish one day.

R.I.P
Jarek
Great Old One

Postby Fubo on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:17 am

The quality of his movement, power and body mechanics seems very similar to Ip Tai Tak, compared to any other Taiji guy I've seen.

RIP
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Walk the Torque on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 pm

RIP

What little exposure I've had to his teachings have been very eye opening.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Return to Video Links