bas' exploding chi punch, mackin skills, and more

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

bas' exploding chi punch, mackin skills, and more

Postby Ian on Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:30 am

Ian

Re: bas' exploding chi punch, mackin skills, and more

Postby Dmitri on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:52 am

The first one (spleen busting) is ridiculous, sorry. Way too many variables are way off mark on that synthetic dummy compared to a live moving human body.

The third one is silly too, -- they're comparing a forward knee shot with a shin kick?!

(His general skill level notwithstanding.)

I did like the fact that the most powerful penetrating punch he could come up with was not falling into any of the "hook", "cross", or whatever category (first clip), but had this coiling 3-D kind of trajectory and penetrating intent behind it... Hmm, where have I heard that one before? :P :)
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Dillon on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:13 am

The spleen punch looks like kyokushin's uraken shita tsuki to me. Anything with Bas Rutten in it is good by my book.
Dillon
Santi

Postby Ian on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:10 pm

There's just no pleasing some people, eh? :)

Dmitri wrote:The first one (spleen busting) is ridiculous, sorry. Way too many variables are way off mark on that synthetic dummy compared to a live moving human body.

Come on! Bas' liver and spleen shots have been proven numerous times in the ring. Maybe he didn't explode any internal organs, but he's showing you how to do it and that's cool in my book.

The third one is silly too, -- they're comparing a forward knee shot with a shin kick?!

They very clearly compared a thai shin kick to Bas' shin kick.

I did like the fact that the most powerful penetrating punch he could come up with was not falling into any of the "hook", "cross", or whatever category (first clip), but had this coiling 3-D kind of trajectory and penetrating intent behind it... Hmm, where have I heard that one before? :P :)

MMA is a subset of IMAs, then? :)
Last edited by Ian on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Dmitri on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:18 am

Dude, what I was calling "ridiculous" had nothing to do with Bas and everything to do with the TV program. Like I said, "his skills notwithstanding..."

Look how rigid the support for that dummy is. Is the consistency of the simulation "organs" the same as in a human body? Where's all the in-between liquid that would undoubtedly help dissipate the blow? Where's the muscle layer protecting it? Where the fascia contraction? Etc., etc.

They very clearly compared a thai shin kick to Bas' shin kick.

OK you're right, I missed the first clip -- I only looked at the second one, where they put the two of them on a split screen (1:54 - 1:59) with the Thai boxer clearly throwing knees, hence my reaction. Fair enough.
(That is leaving alone the little idiocies like "...and now let's see how MMA measures up!" spoken in a dramatic voice. Please tell me you recognize that that's a load of crap, that it doesn't compare the arts, but those two particular people...)

MMA is a subset of IMAs, then? :)

Um, no. :P :)
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:32 am

Dmitri wrote:That is leaving alone the little idiocies like "...and now let's see how MMA measures up!" spoken in a dramatic voice. Please tell me you recognize that that's a load of crap, that it doesn't compare the arts, but those two particular people...

OK, I see what you mean.

Guess I was just ignoring that stuff because I don't take these shows too seriously, and I was having fun watching Bas explain his style. :)
Last edited by Ian on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Return to Video Links