Chen Xiaowang Slams Feng Zhiqiang Applications

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Chen Xiaowang Slams Feng Zhiqiang Applications

Postby wushutiger on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:49 am

If one understands chinese seating arrangements, this photo should shed some important light on what happened in the village, what Feng's function and position was there and if Feng got his arse kicked or not.....

Last edited by wushutiger on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:29 am

Byron,

Feng, FaKe's daughter, and the others on the bench are direct students of Chen FaKe, making them 18th generation Chen-style, while the back row of CXW and the others ... those guys are 19th generation. So naturally they go to the back row. It's traditional to have the earlier generation in the front and it means nothing about ability, etc.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby charles on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:36 am

GrahamB wrote:Byron,

Feng, FaKe's daughter, and the others on the bench are direct students of Chen FaKe,

The woman in the photo is Chen Liqing, of Xiao Jia. She does not appear to have been a student of Chen Fake.

http://www.pachentaiji.com/index3.html
charles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:38 am

Charles - I think you are correct. However, she'd still be 18th generation Chen style.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby bartekb on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:25 pm

She does not appear to have been a student of Chen Fake.

wow so complicated, all the lineage, hstory and ancestory...if only there was a way to see whose taichi is better...oh wait...
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby charles on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:44 pm

bartekb wrote:wow so complicated, all the lineage, hstory and ancestory...if only there was a way to see whose taichi is better...oh wait...

How dare you interject reality in our fantasy. ;D

It's sooooo much easier to talk about than do. :P
charles
Wuji

Postby bartekb on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:46 pm

end of this week Im visiting a small judo group to ask whether I can come to their class duringh holidays and train/spar. Most likely at the end of the class there will be randori and at the end of this randori we will all know exactly where I fit into that group:)
The older I get the more I appreciate simple approach.
Last edited by bartekb on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartekb
Great Old One

Postby willie on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:49 pm

This is how my teacher moves Charles. "Note that forward lean". Zhang Lu Ping was from Chen Zhaokui.
so about half is from Chen Zhaokui's side, the other half from Wang Hai Jun / Chen Zhenglei side.

Last edited by willie on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willie

Postby wushutiger on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:26 am

Byron,

Feng, FaKe's daughter, and the others on the bench are direct students of Chen FaKe, making them 18th generation Chen-style, while the back row of CXW and the others ... those guys are 19th generation. So naturally they go to the back row. It's traditional to have the earlier generation in the front and it means nothing about ability, etc.

This photo is from Feng's trip to teach in Chen Jia Gou. I am neither a Chen practitioner, nor a student of anyone in this debate, but I think the changing of history today, the making up of bullshit stories, as well as the discrediting of Feng, in spite of what is common knowledge, is distasteful.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:43 am

I am neither a student of anyone in this debate or Chen style either. My point was that whoever you are a student of seems to colour your version of history, and that we can't know either way what happened.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 am

My point was that whoever you are a student of seems to colour your version of history, and that we can't know either way what happened.

That's why it's called his story ;)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 pm

willie wrote:This is how my teacher moves Charles. "Note that forward lean". Zhang Lu Ping was from Chen Zhaokui.
so about half is from Chen Zhaokui's side, the other half from Wang Hai Jun / Chen Zhenglei side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGWJxJndw6o

Interesting it seems to have a Wu style flavor to it.
I wonder if its for the same reasons.

nice clip ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby lazyboxer on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:44 pm

How the taiji forms could be applied practically in a fight baffled me for years. Most of Yang Chengfu's application photos seemed absurd and ridiculous, as were Cheng Man-Ching's similar interpretations. The dilemma persists today, as those who remember the bickering here about Single Whip a while ago will know.

Once someone in the know shows you how, the clouds disappear. The form is simply a method to develop the subtle body skills and physical framework, in which the techniques remain deeply hidden at first. When the right feelings start to arrive (the different 'jins') the applications appear naturally from the forms.

Most of them are pretty counter-intuitive and invisible to the ordinary observer, who may assume that, for instance, when your front hand pushes forward and your gaze follows that you must be striking something with it. Not so - you may be training to to stretch, open or snap something. Is a clenched fist only for hitting? I may do it because I want to smash something with my ulna or elbow; the fist is there simply to transfer extra solidity to the point of impact.

Watch how He Jinbao applies bagua principles to fight, often in seemingly weird ways, or the many shoulder, back and elbow techniques hidden in Feng Zhiqiang's demonstrations and you'll start to get the general idea behind this. Plenty of people here already know that, of course.

Wanting to hide the real skill is a traditional Chinese cultural thing and made practical sense in martial arts' original context (would you show a potential enemy you have a gun?). Martial sports-minded Westerners dislike it, but then plenty of Chinese dislike it too - which is why they prefer more obviously practical systems like sanda, boxing or muay thai. Once they understand what IMA really have to offer they often modify their views.

GrahamB wrote:I am neither a student of anyone in this debate or Chen style either. My point was that whoever you are a student of seems to colour your version of history, and that we can't know either way what happened.

If you're interested, find someone with decent background and skills who isn't a student of FZQ or CXW and has touched hands 'for real' with both of them. At least you'll then have a chance of discovering part of that elusive 'truth'.

Just because you don't know doesn't have to mean that no-one else does either.

Btw, I'm referring to the recurring question about who has what and how they got it. The larger historical background may be of interest mainly to theoreticians, philosophers and scholars. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just one man's view, of course.
Last edited by lazyboxer on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby charles on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:23 pm

willie wrote:This is how my teacher moves Charles.

Thanks.
charles
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:27 am

"If you're interested,"... and that's where you lost me....
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links