Eccentric exercise, breathing, body contraction, grip

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Eccentric exercise, breathing, body contraction, grip

Postby everything on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am

Fantastic blog interview. I read the whole thing through just now. I was also wondering about the contraction being steady or explosive. Thanks a lot. Really useful extra info. From a yiquan point of view, it seems like this protocol should enhance shi li and "almost movement" right? Did you find these two exercises compatible? I only know some tai chi, no yiquan.

In case Dave ever logs on here again - thanks for the book - you gained another reader here on RSF, and your reader gained some useful knowledge and is putting it into action. I'm only on day 2, and my main issue now is "beginner's enthusiasm" - I feel like overdoing it a little bit.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:30 am

Reading my old posts...funny how my opinion changed a little bit overtime.:)

@everything I think it is a good addition for IMA in general. As you learn to be aware and to work directly with tension. It has improved my ability in reducing unnecessary tension in tight spots, and helped me in involving other muscles more (like the latissimus). More concrete it has helped my FALI ability, i.e. I can punch quicker and with more control. In addition - because of the increased strength endurance - I do not get easily tired in my shadow boxing rounds or general boxing work.
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 am

Patrick, thanks. That all makes perfectly good sense to me, but it's good to hear about your real experience.

So you have kept this routine up? For years? Do you do all of the leg ones? I see Prof Attila did squats, calf raises, toe raises, side leg raises, knee raises, pistols. I cannot do pistols, but am adding single leg RDL to balance quads/hams + improve the core. Possibly easy leg extension. I'll get back to kb swings at some point. Not sure about TGU. Right now on day 3, my nervous system still likes the novelty and seems to "want" to do more. It's still slightly hard to believe I'm not only working on strength endurance, but I do feel the pump and better sense of mind/body connection.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Patrick on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 am

I think I do it now for 2 years seriously and continuously. Sometimes I also use resistance bands or do some other form of muscle tensing or incorporate some body weight holds. But this is a form of workout that does suit me extremely well, so it does not bore me at all. And the effect it has on my aesthetics does motivate me too ;) (Like dave said, ripped, lean and athletic, but nothing like bodybuilding).

For the legs I do a lot of leg lifts (good for my kicking) with light weights and a different Plié/Horse stance squats. I have sensitive knees, so I searched the ballet sites for the best healthy structure in the Plie. So I never go over 90* knee flexion and try to use my hips/back. I don´t do pistols because of my knee issues again.
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 am

2 years and not bored at all sounds awesome. Aesthetics motivation is great too. I'm not unhappy but I'd rather be happy here.

I get a lot of leg work doing sports, but my quads/hams are out of balance and other spots are surely suboptimal. Interesting about the pistols. Injury prevention/avoidance is key, so I'll stop working toward them if I encounter any issue. I'll check out the leg lifts and plie.
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links