Eccentric exercise, breathing, body contraction, grip

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Eccentric exercise, breathing, body contraction, grip

Postby Patrick on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:06 am

Bhassler wrote:
Patrick wrote:For max. power the ideal method of excentric training is: explosiv(=with max. voluntary contraction)/140%/1-3 Reps.

Can you explain the notation at the end of that sentence? I understand the 1-3 reps, but not the 140% or how explosion and/or max voluntary contraction relate to negative reps.

Thanks,
B-

Yeah sure.

140% of your 1 repetion max (a weight that you can ideally lift only once)
Explosive refers to the following: People think ´explosive` means as fast as possible, when in actuality it refers to max voluntary contraction. If you lift concentric, the more you increase the load the more the speed is decreasing. If you lift your 1 RM with all you have got, the speed will be very low, but you are still lifting it explosively (max. voluntary contraction). If you lift eccentric, the more you increase the load the more the speed increases. If you resist with all your might in an eccentric lift, the speed will be relatively low, but only because you are resisting so much. If you increase the weight to a point, where your muscles cannot react fast enough (e.g. 30ms), the weight goes flying and you cannot use max. voluntary contraction.
Last edited by Patrick on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:43 am

Patrick wrote:
Bhassler wrote:
Patrick wrote:For max. power the ideal method of excentric training is: explosiv(=with max. voluntary contraction)/140%/1-3 Reps.

Can you explain the notation at the end of that sentence? I understand the 1-3 reps, but not the 140% or how explosion and/or max voluntary contraction relate to negative reps.

Thanks,
B-

Yeah sure.

140% of your 1 repetion max (a weight that you can ideally lift only once)
Explosive refers to the following: People think ´explosive` means as fast as possible, when in actuality it refers to max voluntary contraction. If you lift concentric, the more you increase the load the more the speed is decreasing. If you lift your 1 RM with all you have got, the speed will be very low, but you are still lifting it explosively (max. voluntary contraction). If you lift eccentric, the more you increase the load the more the speed increases. If you resist with all your might in an eccentric lift, the speed will be relatively low, but only because you are resisting so much. If you increase the weight to a point, where your muscles cannot react fast enough (e.g. 30ms), the weight goes flying and you cannot use max. voluntary contraction.

I'm more confused now. Are you talking about 140% of the 1RM 'weight', so if your 1RM was say 200lbs, you'd want to use 140% of that which would be 280lbs.

How could you even lift that much more weight using the concentric motion, in order to get to the eccentric portion of the lift, or would you need two people helping you do, say a bench press, and just quickly lower it down to your chest (the eccentric movement), then have the spotters lift the weight back up?

Last edited by D_Glenn on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Haven't posted on here for ages - very busy with some personal stuff at the minute with my mum in hospital so can't spare much time to post but -

Ken - thanks sincerely for the plug re the book

Patrick -

Dave´s book was made with love, but I feel the information is dubious or wrong. But he is very honest about it.

Thanks for recognising the love and care that went into the book and it's honesty - but all it states is that (empirically):

1. Attilla taught a series of exercises to Sandow and others utilising small dumbbells and that they all felt these exercises were important for both body and strength development

2. The exercises work and induce a surprising amount of hypertrophy considering their briefness and lack of heavy external resistance

3. Attila taught the exercises to Boxer (Gentleman) Jim Corbett and they were also used by the legendary Jack Johnson and for a while were ubiquitous in boxing

4. They are similar in aim, design and performance to some yi jin jing versions

5. One can use them for as little as 20 or 30 mins a day to produce a decent aesthetically pleasing physique.

None of this information is "dubious or wrong" - indeed it is all historically accurate and demonstrably true.

I attempted to explain HOW these exercises worked based on my own experience with them and with recourse to several peer reviewed papers concerning the McMasters university study and various studies into Japanes Kaatsu (occlusion) training. I cannot be certain that that this fully explains their efficacy but I feel the muscle hypertrophy mechanisms discussed in these studies are similar enough to offer a strong correlation - perhaps this is the bit you take issue with?

or do you just feel it is impossible to build muscle (induce hypertrophy) without the use heavy weights? the McMasters University study definitively proves this is not the case and it's conclusion has since been reproduced in follow up studies.

Also in the Limp Taiji thread this morning I saw a clip John Wang put up of Taiji strength training with bricks in the hands - all the exercises in it are analogous to exercises in my book and are done with similar weights so I guess they are dubious and wrong too?

anyway not intending to derail the thread but unfortunately can't ignore what could be an (unintentional but still) significant blow to my livelyhood without a reasoned response.

back on topic with the subject of GRIP AND TENSION -

a story about the legendary Norbert Schemansky:

Following the 1954 World Championships in Vienna the U.S. team (including Norbert Schemansky, Tommy Kono and Pete George) made their way to Lille, France while on a barnstorming tour across Europe. Bob Hoffman decided to have them drop in at Robert Cayeaux's Paris gym for a workout. While making arrangements to use the gym with his old friend, Hoffman inquired about the famous Apollon barbell.

The Apollon bell was a ponderous 360-pound weight made of two giant boxcar wheels with a thick axle thrust them. The improvised barbell had originally belonged to a 6-foot, 300-pound French giant named Apollon, who had actually never lifted it overhead but had instead used it in various stunts. While a generation of strongmen had deadlifted the weight, only two men had ever been able to lift the train wheels overhead. The first was the French professional strongman Charles Rigoulot, who did it in 1930 -- but only after practicing for weeks beforehand. In 1950 John Davis gave it a go, and his small hands and the chunky circumference of the bar caused him much grief on his hold. After several attempts Davis finally cleaned the bar by flipping it up to his shoulders, and then reversing his grip in mid-air in order to catch the bar at his shoulders. After this he was able to jerk the train wheels overhead. During one of Davis' unsuccessful tries the weights had crashed down heavily to the ground, badly bending one end of the bar and making it that much harder to grasp for anyone who might want to replicate the feat in the future.

It turned out the Apollon bell was no longer at Cayeaux's gym, but was being stored in the basement of another local gym. When Hoffman suggested the sensation of the recent World Championships might be interested attempting to lift the "unliftable" Apollon bell, volunteers were quickly mustered to move it via truck to its former home. "It as a very impromptu arrangement," Norb recalled. "I had no idea I would be asked to try it. But what the heck, I was game."

Word spread rapidly. The Americans changed tense to add tension . . .

Word spreads rapidly. The Yanks arrive at Cayeaux's gym where a large crowd has already gathered, including a number of reporters and photographers. Hoffman wishes out loud that the event was taking place in a large hall and witnessed by thousands of people. He forecasts the greatest display of strength which has ever taken place, a feat of strength unsurpassed and which will give Norb Schemansky just claim to the mythical title "World's Strongest Man."

The American lifters warm up with snatches, presses and jerks with a standard plate-loading Olympic barbell before taking turns attacking a 358-pound weight with a thick non-revolving handle. At this point the Apollon wheels were rolled out, more like dragged out as the Apollon bell's handle does not revolve.

Photographers ready their cameras . . . Norb takes the wheels . . . then, devoid of any personal drama . . . lifts them on his first attempt . . . and jerks the weight overhead . . . not once . . . not twice . . . but THREE TIMES --- before gently setting the bar back down on the ground at his feet.

He had literally handled the famous weight like a toy. It was over so quickly -- wham, bam, thank you Stan -- and then a moment of stunned silence filled the gym.

"My God, it was terrific!" said Hoffman.

Recalled Clyde Emrich: "Norb just walked up and stood over it, did a slow dive, whipped it to his shoulders, jerked it three quick times and then set it back down easily. It was tremendously impressive."

A half-century later, Pete George had basically the same memory of the event: "Norb just walked up to it and whipped it up like nothing. He completely awed everyone in that gym."

Norb felt he could have done six or seven reps with the Apollon bell. The most difficult part was the bend in the bar. "The bend made it hard to hold because it slips in your hands and the weight turns and shifts around," he explained.

Typical of Schemansky, when asked countless times over the years how he did it, his answer is short, sweet and always the same:

"I squeezed like hell and pulled."
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm

D_glenn Yeah exactly. You Need some help or Special equipment. 140% Makes only Sense with eccentric Lifting. Concentric Lifts are not possible with more than 100%.

Dave will reply tomorrow. I was only refering to the Part of exercise Science,Not History.
Last edited by Patrick on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Patrick wrote:D_glenn Yeah exactly. You Need some help or Special equipment. 140% Makes only Sense with eccentric Lifting. Concentric Lifts are not possible with more than 100%.

Ahh. I thought at one time someone made some machines or contraptions that would make training negatives easier but I'll have to see if I can dig it up but I think the easiest option is just the 1 count up, 3+ count bringing it back down.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm

tsurugi wrote:Haven't posted on here for ages - very busy with some personal stuff at the minute with my mum in hospital so can't spare much time to post but -

Ken - thanks sincerely for the plug re the book

Patrick -

Dave´s book was made with love, but I feel the information is dubious or wrong. But he is very honest about it.

Thanks for recognising the love and care that went into the book and it's honesty - but all it states is that (empirically):

1. Attilla taught a series of exercises to Sandow and others utilising small dumbbells and that they all felt these exercises were important for both body and strength development

2. The exercises work and induce a surprising amount of hypertrophy considering their briefness and lack of heavy external resistance

3. Attila taught the exercises to Boxer (Gentleman) Jim Corbett and they were also used by the legendary Jack Johnson and for a while were ubiquitous in boxing

4. They are similar in aim, design and performance to some yi jin jing versions

5. One can use them for as little as 20 or 30 mins a day to produce a decent aesthetically pleasing physique.

Thanks Ken for the link, and Dave for the book. I'm gonna have to charge up my Kindle and purchase it.
I may have missed this thread before, where you wrote about it: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16707&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75 but it's good for a re-read none the less.

Reading the preview on Amazon and it sounds like stuff that falls in line with our heavy Bagua saber training, so I'm interested to see what it's about.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby I am... on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:38 pm

That book was great. It gives some insight into potentially why some of the Hung Gar methods build the body they way that they do. Anything that helps you work on the signal sent while not creating massive tension should be of interest to a dedicated martial artist I would think.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Postby gau chau on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 am

Hi All

I'd thought I'd chime in... I purchased Daves book after reading about it in this thread viewtopic.php?t=16707
and over the past year have tried to train the exercises as he describes (they are highly specific and despite the low weight are incredibly challenging).

Based on my own experiences I can say that they do work. I am significanly stronger than I was before starting them and have experienced hypertrophy - especially in the arms, shoulders and back. Am I massive - no. Could I have gotten bigger with a more standard approach of heavy lifting - probably yes.

However I've found that this method dovetails nicely with my IMA training - I can practice everyday; my control over certain muscles has significantly improved (both in contracting maximally and keeping relaxed when not needed); my "body map" (stuff that I-mon talks about in his thought provoking website http://ancestralmovement.com/) has got more detailed which in turn has fed into the more complicated aspects of IMA training like chan si jin; and one of the nicest things is after finishing the exercises I dont feel drained /taxed. It is actually quite energising.

I dont know the science behind it but as my current teacher often says "the proof is in the pudding". I appreciate that all this is anecdotal

A
gau chau
Santi

Postby Patrick on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:06 am

Hi Dave,

I have read your post now.

all the exercises in it are analogous to exercises in my book and are done with similar weights so I guess they are dubious and wrong too?

No, not at all! The exercises are okay and your descriptions are well written.

The exercises work and induce a surprising amount of hypertrophy considering their briefness and lack of heavy external resistance

My only issue lies in the suppossed benefit of the exercises regarding hypertrophy. The stimuls is too low for inducing hypertrophy and the repetitions are too high. You are working primarily strength endurance. You were hinting at (as far as I can remember) that it will induce sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, but even here your standard weight suggestions are far too low. Your (or Prof. Attilas) suggestions are far below the standard suggestions in exercise science.
You will gain a little muscle mass, you will (with proper nutrition) gain defintion (as seen in your pictures), but you will not get super strong (but stronger than before) or grow big muscles.
There is even an article online where Liederman (I think) met Sandow, and Sandow hinted that he trained with higher weights.

PS: I am not even advocating training with heavy weights, but I am aware what to expect and what not.
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 am

Sandow did indeed train with heavy weights - but (according to him) it was the lesser percentage of his time in training. My teacher did as well - but the majority of the training was low weights, lifted slowly, with a slow return to the floor or bench. I should note that the "low weight" is a subjective term - and the weights I lifted and felt were "low weights" were heavier weights by and by (for example, say I was lifting one 45 pound plate on either end at the beginning of the year for my combo deadlift, squat, overhead press, back good morning, overhead press, squat, return weight to floor. By the end of the year I was doing that with about 50% more weight as my low weight.)
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby tsurugi on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:41 am

Gau chau and I am - thanks for the support - glad you like the exercises

Patrick -

Hi Patrick

yes I am aware of the accepted protocols for strength and hypertrophy training and how this old fashioned method differs radically from them (hence the subtitle of the book - "how to build muscle with stupidly light weights"). The entire first chapter of the book covers orthodox strength building and bodybuilding protocols and how - by those criteria - these exercises cannot work for strength or muscle growth ...and yet they do.

I didn't say the exercises result in sarcoplasmic growth only - I said that people who, like you, refused to accept on principle that such a regime could result in hypertrophy at all - but were then presented with evidence that someone training in this way got bigger muscles - would no doubt assume the hypertrophy was exclusively sarcoplasmic (ie just "pumped up" showy muscle with no strength improvement).

However, purely sarcoplasmic muscle - if there is such a thing - is relatively soft and has no significant improvement in contractile capacity. Myofibrillar hypertrophy on the other hand results in denser harder muscles that are not significantly bigger but which have a significant improvement in contractile capacity and thus strength. The type of hypertrophy this system produces results in very dense hard muscles and the trainee is expressly improving the contractile capacity exponentially - the musles also grow measurably (although as you say not massively) bigger so it seems both types of hypertrophy are involved to some degree.

The McMaster university study famously demonstrated that subjects who trained to failure with less than 30% of their one rep max actually stimulated more hypertrophy than those who trained to failure with 90% of their one rep max. Because of the very light weights used the first and most successful group necessarily used higher rep ranges to hit failure (the exact ones you - and orthodox strength training protocols - say will only train muscle endurance and will induce no hypertrophy)

This suggests that contrary to the accepted protocols which suggest progressively increasing weight and rep ranges of 8-12 reps per set, the key to inducing muscle growth seems to lie in inducing significant muscular fatigue and increasing muscle protein synthesis. In other words the weight doesn't matter as long as you keep going long enough with enough intensity to induce the correct biochemical state in the target muscle tissue.

Occlusion training involves stopping blood flow out of a bodypart and then using a light weight to repeatedly contract a muscle until significant fatigue and cramping has been induced. This entails high reps and the optimum time under occlusion seems to be around five minutes. This crazy protocol keeps blood in the tissue longer which optimises uptake of human growth hormone and other growth factors and has been shown - in peer reviewed studies - to result in similar levels of hypertrophy in three weeks as that produced by twelve weeks of conventional progressive strength training.

those are two completely unrelated protocols which don't rely on heavy weights and which use high reps and both empirically produce significant hypertrophy.

Attila's protocol also uses light weights, high reps and induces a high degree of tension and occlusion for five minutes per body part until significant muscular fatigue is induced - ergo it's results may be due to similar mechanisms and increased muscle protein synthesis within the target muscles.

I've written a book saying "here is a lost system that produces strength and muscle hypertrophy in contravention of all presently accepted advice on strength training - and here's how I think it does it" - and you're saying "this can't work because it contravenes presently accepted advice on strength training" :-\

Also "big muscles" is an entirely subjective term. I don't claim anywhere in the book that this training will give you huge 20 inch arms (very few things will and you have to inject most of them in your arse) but that it will make your muscles bigger, harder, stronger and more responsive to your control.

Bruce Lee didn't have big muscles per se but it would be incorrect to say that his training regime hadn't resulted in a degree of muscular hypertrophy.

Also - as stated in detail in the book - there is very good evidence to suggest that there is a genetic limit to how much muscle mass one can add to one's frame with ANY system of exercise - based on hormone profile/skeletal frame/muscle attachment lengths etc...Casey Butt has produced detailed equations to calculate what that would be for each individual and he goes on to say that those ideals may be reached by only a few genetic outliers. Average trainers should expect to be able to shoot for 95% of those figures as a lifetime goal while at around 90% one would look lean and fit.

At the time the book was published my results measured 93% of my ideal possible muscular potential according to his figures. While that might not count as "big muscles" to you, its crazy to state that that amounts to "only some definition" or muscular endurance and not "hypertrophy".

I have continued to train and even progress slightly - currently FWIW I am 5 foot nine, weigh just under 170 pounds with arms - 16 inches, chest 43 inches, waist 32 inches, upper leg 23 inches, calf 15.5 inches (with a slight frame and 6.9 inch wrists) to you and many other people this may seem puny and weak but it is 15 - 20 pounds heavier than when I started using this protocol with arms 2 inches bigger than at the beginning. This is hypertrophy by any definition - maybe not the level and degree of hypertrophy You could have induced in the same time period training heavy 2 -3 days a week on compound lifting and eating a caloric surplus but hypertrophy none the less.
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby Dubster on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Just another plug for Dave's book from someone who has got real strength focused results from it - if you surf RSF for training shortcuts I would highly recommend his book. Real results based training. I haven't gained much mass but am lean and feel strong as fcck when I train it regularly. I switch between cycles of KBells & manual work & Dave's book to keep me moving.

Dave, good to see you on the board. Hope all is well off-line.

D
Dubster
Anjing

Postby Dubster on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:00 pm

Last edited by Dubster on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dubster
Anjing

Postby Patrick on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey Dave,

thanks for the answer. The theory you are suggesting is called metabolic stress theory (muscle growth induced by compensating the lack of ATP).
But according to my knowledge here is the problem: According to Henneman´s principle recruitment goes from type I ->Type IIa ->Type IIb.
If you work with low intensity you are training mostly type I fibers (Type II are getting recruited gradually only after 25%Fmax) , which are very resistent to fatigue and therefore very hard to induce hypertrophy.That you do work of this kind is suggested by the low weight, the high reps and your description in your book that you feel invigorated (that suggest strongly that your ressources are not depleted).
I could not find any real link to the McMasters paper, only some very lacking article.

Have you seen athletes that train in strength endurance based workouts? There seems to be a kind of misconception here. Noone is suggesting that strength endurance is useless or minor work (for your interest this is the work I suggest and train). Such athletes even have the figure that you adore in your book. Yet there is in contrast lesser hypertrophy (because at a point you do not work in the suggest hypertrophy range!) than in other specialized training.

Here is a picture from 60+ Steve Maxwell. Looks pretty similar to your Sandow, doesnt he?
[img]
https://scontent-b-vie.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 5505_n.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Bill on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:24 pm

I learned about Eccentric lifting back in 1980 when I got a job as a strength trainer at a Nautilus Gym. I found it effective then and I still use his principals to this day.
The inventor of the Nautilis equipment, Arthur Jones, was sort of a mad genius.

http://www.arthurjonesexercise.com/home.html
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links