Taiji Fighting Tournament 1988

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Taiji Fighting Tournament 1988

Postby CaliG on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:02 am

CaliG

Re: Taiji Fighting Tournament 1988

Postby Andy_S on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:55 am

Nice clip. Masich pulled off some very, very clean throws there, damn near textbook.

The lass made a good point about Taiji too: As an exercise, it in interesting. Very different to jogging or aerobices, indeed.

(Waits for joggers and aerobics people to dive in and start pummelling)
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:06 am

Nice composure from Sam.
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:09 am

isnt this the guy being slammed in that clip of Kumar doing ba gua application?
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bob Mnemos on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:24 am

I didn't see any Taiji but there were some really nice silk suits in the vid. ;D

Bob
Bob Mnemos

Postby waterdaan on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:32 am

isnt this the guy being slammed in that clip of Kumar doing ba gua application?

yes
really nice silk suits ;D
waterdaan
Santi

Postby Chris Fleming on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 am

The moving push hands on that clip was what I wish it would be like in tournaments nowadays. The last time I saw moving push hands it was nothing more than a sumo match or perhaps a 2 man rugby match. No taiji whatsoever.
Chris Fleming

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Those throws that Sam did were SWEET!!!!

Too bad he's not teaching fighters these days (though from the looks of it he has way more in his throwing dept than in his striking).
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby charles on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:34 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Those throws that Sam did were SWEET!!!!

Too bad he's not teaching fighters these days (though from the looks of it he has way more in his throwing dept than in his striking).

He studied judo in his teens, and one of Liang's specialties is SC, hence the throws.

He's never publically taught fighting/fighters - he teaches forms, push hands, qigong, a few applications mostly under the heading of the 2-person form choreography.
Last edited by charles on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:51 am

charles wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:Those throws that Sam did were SWEET!!!!

He studied judo in his teens, and one of Liang's specialties is SC, hence the throws.

He's never publically taught fighting/fighters - he teaches forms, push hands, qigong, a few applications mostly under the heading of the 2-person form choreography.

Yeah, thats basically what I had heard around.
Some of my friends and past teachers really like his material, but I've never gone to one of his seminars.
For the most part he seems to be on the post modern taijiquan bandwagon and I don't really dig it.
Nonetheless those throws were pretty great. :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Frank Bellemare on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:06 am

Chris Fleming wrote:The moving push hands on that clip was what I wish it would be like in tournaments nowadays. The last time I saw moving push hands it was nothing more than a sumo match or perhaps a 2 man rugby match. No taiji whatsoever.

True it was pretty, and much closer to the cooperative exercice that we learn in class, but were they doing it for demonstration purpose, or as a competition? If they were doing it as a competition, what were the rules, how would the judges determine who won? With the silk PJs and all the soft "listening" and "following" going on, it looked like a cooperative exercice, not a competition.
Frank Bellemare
Anjing

Postby charles on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:35 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Some of my friends and past teachers really like his material, but I've never gone to one of his seminars.

He has a small loyal following. In a galaxy far, far away, I attended 11 of his seminars. Time, money and effort mostly wasted.

For the most part he seems to be on the post modern taijiquan bandwagon and I don't really dig it.

;)

Nonetheless those throws were pretty great. :)

They were good.
charles
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:02 am

Frank Bellemare wrote:
Chris Fleming wrote:The moving push hands on that clip was what I wish it would be like in tournaments nowadays. The last time I saw moving push hands it was nothing more than a sumo match or perhaps a 2 man rugby match. No taiji whatsoever.

True it was pretty, and much closer to the cooperative exercice that we learn in class, but were they doing it for demonstration purpose, or as a competition? If they were doing it as a competition, what were the rules, how would the judges determine who won? With the silk PJs and all the soft "listening" and "following" going on, it looked like a cooperative exercice, not a competition.

Well at some point the two would have to be doing some unbalancing skills when the opportunity presented itself if this was a real match. I'm saying this still should follow taiji principle, rather than linebacker principle or sumo principle.
Chris Fleming

Postby CaliG on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:00 am

What's meant by post-modern taiji?
CaliG

Postby shawnsegler on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:36 pm

I think they're trying to say "kind of new-agey".

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links