Late Master Wang Yongquan, disciple of Yang Jianhou

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Late Master Wang Yongquan, disciple of Yang Jianhou

Postby Bob on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Bob
Great Old One

Re: Late Master Wang Yongquan, disciple of Yang Jianhou

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:30 pm

Interesting - the woman standing by the chair leans down and asks him "where does your force come from?" and he answers "from my back". He then goes on to demonstrate the various qualities of force - duan, kong, etc.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Bob wrote:Late Master Wang Yongquan, disciple of Yang Jianhou

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBrwGG9g ... re=related

I still think there's something incredibly artificial about this clip - like he's been cut out and put on a different background - the way his image distorts at one point, but nothing else does... the people moving in the background are at a different speed.... the performer and the background seem to have different light...

It's weird. It's like the freaky movie clips in the film The Ring.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:51 pm

both clips were awesome, even if i'm gonna get killed by watching them.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOB5ImcQ ... re=related

The written exchange below is also interesting.
Bob
Great Old One

Postby Briggy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:58 pm

qiphlow wrote:both clips were awesome, even if i'm gonna get killed by watching them.

YEH, Nice clippage.
Briggy
Santi

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:51 pm

I question whether Wang Yongquan (1903-1987) could have realistically studied with Yang Jian-Hou (楊健侯)(1839-1917) long enough to receive "the complete teachings" of the Old Yang Style, since Wang would have been only 14 years of age when Master Yang died in 1917. It would be interesting to know, therefore, when Wang is claimed to have begun his training with Yang Jian-Hou, since a minimum of several years of instruction would have been necessary for Wang to learn even the fundamentals of the Old Yang Style curriculum, especially considering the slow and exacting manner of teaching that was the norm in those days. I have never heard that the Yang's taught young children, other than their own of course. ;)

It is easier to believe that Wang could have learned TCC in greater depth from Yang Shao-Hou (楊少侯)(1862-1930), Yang Jian-Hou's elder son, who died in 1930 when Wang was 27 years old. It is most probable, however, that Wang's skills were primarily the result of instruction from Yang Cheng-Fu ( 楊澄甫)(1883-1936), Yang Jian-Hou's younger son, who died in 1936 when Wang was 33 years old. Wang was officially listed as Cheng-Fu's student, and his stylistic manner of performance is that of Yang Cheng-Fu's Style, not the Old Yang Style, IMO. :)

Doc
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby Overlord on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 am

Guys, gong fu is not push fu! I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this! But this is honestly how I feel ! Just step back, the frail old man can't even walk! Martial art is still about muscle to muscle; bone to bone!
Last edited by Overlord on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby Dmitri on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:37 am

Overlord wrote:Guys, gong fu is not push fu! I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this! But this is honestly how I feel ! Just step back, the frail old man can't even walk! Martial art is still about muscle to muscle; bone to bone!

It certainly takes gong fu to do what he shows.
Besides, at least as I see it, he's demonstrating ideas and principles, specific skill bits, -- he's quite clearly not fighting anyone there.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Return to Video Links