Master Yazi Liu performing Zhao Bao Taiji Quan Form

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Master Yazi Liu performing Zhao Bao Taiji Quan Form

Postby laps on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:43 am

Hi guys, it's my first post, nice to meet you all :)
Here's a video of my shifu, master Yazi Liu, performing one of the Zhao Bao style Taiji Quan forms, hope you'll enjoy.
"He who conforms to the way is gladly accepted by the way; he who conforms to virtue is gladly accepted by virtue; He who conforms to loss is gladly accepted by loss."
XXIII-Tao Te Ching
laps
Santi

Re: Master Yazi Liu performing Zhao Bao Taiji Quan Form

Postby NoSword on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 am

Welcome laps,

This might start a livelier discussion here:

Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby laps on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:09 am

NoSword wrote:Welcome laps,

This might start a livelier discussion here:

;) Hahaha, thanks NoSword; I posted the Taolu vid cause I found it difficult to find any of Zhao Bao style (at least this particular frame) from mainland China, while there's few about Tui Shou and Chin Na (some I think I saw them posted on this forum, although they seemed to be from Taiwan).
I'm also glad to give some info about Master Liu if anybody's interested.

Any comment is welcome
"He who conforms to the way is gladly accepted by the way; he who conforms to virtue is gladly accepted by virtue; He who conforms to loss is gladly accepted by loss."
XXIII-Tao Te Ching
laps
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 am

Laps:

Nice stuff. Where are you/he based?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby laps on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:48 am

Thanks Andy_S, I'm based in London and so is master Yazi Liu, he teaches in Kentish Town. Hopefully I'll put together some better quality vids soon.
XXIII-Tao Te Ching
laps
Santi

Postby Azer on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 am

I think I've met your teacher briefly before, if I'm not mistaken. I think we may be using the same venue - 3 Holmes Rd, Kentish Town?
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby laps on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 am

Yes, 3 Holmes Road! What do you practice Azer?
XXIII-Tao Te Ching
laps
Santi

Postby Azer on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:47 am

We have our I Liq Chuan study group there a few times a week, though not this week as many are out of town. We're usually there most Tue/Thur evenings though.

If you want to come have a look one of these days, just let me know and I'll let our head know we will have a visitor :)
Last edited by Azer on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All around, dude, try to imagine cold, cause the van is kinda hot, wrap the rat in tacky coat" - Duke Duke
Azer
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:36 pm

the clips' title is "taiji combat applications"
and yet all are done from a pushhands environment.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby laps on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 am

Hi Windwalker, based on my knowledge of taiji, I don't know what the difference is.
XXIII-Tao Te Ching
laps
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:26 am

Laps:

FYI (and as it is understood on this board) "combat applications" would mean usage against common attacks - such as kicks, punches, grabs.

Push hands, OTOH, is a Taiji training technique in which the arms are already in contact with the opponent. That having been said, the techniques will be largely the same.

The problem with a lot of Taiji, particularly the styles from Henan, is that there is often so much focus on PH, that there is little or no training of the art's entries (ie how do you move into the opponent) and bridges (how do you connect with him, so you can apply your techniques, from out of contact).

The problem with "applications" is they tend to be demonstrated in a manner that lacks realism - eg "attacker" attacks with a slow-motion punch from long range, "defender" applies his technique. In that sense, PH, which includes arm, body and often leg movement, is a bit more "live."

There again, PH is predicated on contact, so if you only train this, how do you deal with a guy who swings at your, or grabs your jersey, or...etc, etc, etc.

There are no perfect training methods or perfect demo methods.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:29 pm

laps wrote:Hi Windwalker, based on my knowledge of taiji, I don't know what the difference is.

what "andy" said 8-)
Last edited by windwalker on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby laps on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:30 am

Thanks for the explanation guys, I'm new to the forum so it's good to exchange knowledge with more experienced people.
Hopefully I'll be able to put together a more exciting video with a wider range of moves and situations (I made this video with clips recorded by people watching the training session, so it's mostly Master Liu showing and explaining techniques to students in "safe" mode) :)
Last edited by laps on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
XXIII-Tao Te Ching
laps
Santi

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:12 am

Laps:

It's all good, nice to see Zhaobao getting an audience outside Henan, and nice to see Brits asking for a bit of martial mixed in with their dose of taiji.

Keep it coming.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Return to Video Links