Hung Gar sparring

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Hung Gar sparring

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:46 am

Very well done in my opinion.

jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: Hung Gar sparring

Postby pennsooner on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:41 am

Interesting. In boxing, the sparring is much much harder, almost but not quite full out. All the CMA sparring I've seen is about 1/5 or less intensity and speed.
pennsooner
Huajing

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:29 am

-box- -argh- :-\ , go to a boxing gym and tell the boxers to take off their gloves and head gear and go all or almost all out. The only place you see fighters testing boxing skills like that is in some inner city parks among teenager and adults in idiot mode.. -shrug-
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby ashe on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 am

pennsooner wrote:Interesting. In boxing, the sparring is much much harder, almost but not quite full out. All the CMA sparring I've seen is about 1/5 or less intensity and speed.

common beginner misunderstanding, and why working with beginners is always so dangerous. there is a difference between hard sparring for contact and technical sparring for precision of timing and spacing. there's a place for both but for my money the emphasis is always on technical sparring.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:02 pm

what I look for is foot work and body positioning that is characteristic of
the style.

compare the use of foot work and distance coupled with
body movement and hand usage.

some say CMA wont have the same flavor of what is trained, that somehow CMA looks one way and fights another.
compare the 2 clips. one of fighting the other of training.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:30 pm

windwalker -

Are you aware that the big black Hung Gar guy in the video I put up is the same big black Hung Gar guy in the second video you put up - AKA Don Hamby?

Which in turn indicates that, yes - he does apply what he practices in sparring.

Also, as suggested before, this is technical sparring not hard contact sparring. In that sparring session I put up, they target very dangerous areas and touch them lightly, or go near them.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:06 pm

only based on the clips, I would say that what he is doing in the first clip is not the same tactics discussed demoed in the 2nd clip.
seems kind of muddy,not really as connected, he doesn't take the space, after he bridges or occupies it.
it seems different. only commenting on what is shown,
dont really care much for the first clip..
others my find different.
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:12 pm

ashe wrote: there's a place for both but for my money the emphasis is always on technical sparring.

Well put, I feel the same. I know a Hung Gar branch very well and for a period I frequently practiced sparring with them. It was always very technical, sometimes faster, sometimes very slow. They were very good using their Hung Gar techniques.

For this clip I wish they didn't drop the guard so often, but that's the only critique I believe I am qualified to make.

@WW: if you knew the art and style very well, the techniques would be much more visible. I see Hung Gar very clearly in the sparring clip.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Bao wrote:@WW: if you knew the art and style very well, the techniques would be much more visible. I see Hung Gar very clearly in the sparring clip.

Not only that - I think they also diversified a lot. Every few seconds they would try a new thing. When they began they seemed to have already been somewhat tired, probably from previous practice, and then they also carried on for over 6 minutes straight.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby I am... on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 am

I don't know what standard they hold themselves to, but I would personally feel embarrassed to put up a Hung Gar sparring clip that looked like that. It does use some of our movements, but the methods of safe entry seem to be non-existent and overall I just am not a big fan compared to how I learned and what we do. Hung Gar in general is not "touchy" and doesn't chase bridges. You bridge when you can't hit, to create an opportunity to hit/seize/etc.

As always though, there may be some context missing from the video.
Last edited by I am... on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.appliedcombat.com

"Once you have firmly decided that you face certain death, overwhelming thoughts of fear will be exhausted in your mind..."
-Hirayama Shiryu-
I am...
Wuji

Return to Video Links