New class clip

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

New class clip

Postby RobP2 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:50 am

Our latest class download explores the connection between sword work and striking, plus work on body movement and working without thought

"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Re: New class clip

Postby ashe on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:03 am

I'm fairly flummoxed by dudes posting clips of their own practice and getting basically zero response these days...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:36 am

The lack of silk jammies and not being an older Chinese person probably has some say in that... ;D

(OTOH Rob's online presence is nothing new (and has been abundant), so that's a factor as well I bet.)

Good stuff; the bit at around 0:17-18 looked particularly interesting, maybe will try tonight... 8-)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 am

Consider it the evolution of the forum, many have moved past some of the basics being posted and wish not to debate the eficacy of styles, technique and processes. There is a thread a million pages long for those who have decided their art was not complete and they had to add bjj to their skills, another moot point. I have noticed more response on the quality of movement, the application of principle in practicality, and greater debate on theory by way of the experience we have gathered. This clip is excellent work but same.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Simon on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Really nice work Rob. Always enjoy your clips.
Simon
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:21 am

Shave those sideburns, hippy!
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:21 am

Ashe:

You can't be "fairly flummoxed." Flummoxed is either all or nothing.

I often comment on Rob's clips - usually when I have a question about one thing or another. This is a decent clip (as all Rob's are - bar that hideous one of him tipping a bucket of H2O over his head), but holds no mystery for me.

It's all good.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Rob's clips don't really need comments - you can try out most of the drills yourself straight away.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:There is a thread a million pages long for those who have decided their art was not complete and they had to add bjj to their skills, another moot point.

So liuhebafa was revealed to the style's founder in a dream - in its complete form - and all the masters in your lineage only practiced one style?

:)

http://www.liuhopafa.com
Master Wai Lun Choi, was born March 29, 1939, in Toi Shan prefecture in Kwangtong Province of Southern China. He moved to Hong Kong in 1954. He began his martial arts study in 1957, which would encompass the external arts of Lama, judo, Thai boxing and ultimately Liu Ho Ba Fa.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 pm

To apply one art to ANY style is to understand EVERY style.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Ian on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:36 pm

To apply one art to ANY style is to understand EVERY style.

Let me try out your formula: 

To apply [hapkido] to [wing chun] is to understand every style (presumably including liuhebafa). 

Interesting.

--------------------------

Mr. Choi cross trains, and that's considered good.

RSF guys cross train, and that's considered going off the path, because they've "decided their art isn't complete." 

What kind of double standard is that?

--------------------------

You haven't answered my question - was liuhebafa revealed to the style's founder in a dream, already in its completed form? 

:)
Last edited by Ian on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:To apply one art to ANY style is to understand EVERY style.

really weird that one simple sentence is hard to understand,
but to help you understand, Master Choi did not cross train he continued to train until his understanding culminated in one reality
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 am

He didn't cross train, yet he was a brown belt in judo...

Something isn't adding up.

Did he or did he not train judo?

If he did, it's dishonest to say that he didn't, that in fact he was training liuhebafa. Using judo techniques and judo training methods and with judo training partners, sure, but it was liuhebafa nonetheless!

Seriously, what is this?
Last edited by Ian on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 am

A child crawls then learns to walk, then run , then climb stairs, at the top of the stairs, when he runs down is he still training his crawling skills ? Past is prologue.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Ian on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:25 am

1. Crawling and walking are indispensable prerequisites to running (you can't run before you crawl and walk). 

You're comparing liuhebafa to running... so are you saying that liuhebafa only has "graduate stage" training, but lacks "elementary, middle school, high school, college stage" training? 

If so, liuhebafa isn't a complete system.

A corollary to this is - practitioners won't reach Choi's level unless they first train other styles. 

If you didn't train those styles when you were young, better start cross-training now! 

2. Mr. Choi trained xingyi, taiji, bagua, lama pai, muay thai, judo... you're assuming that he considered these styles low level and liuhebafa high level. 

Where's the evidence for this?

3. I feel like channeling John Wang here - even when you do a master's degree, you don't just study one discipline from one professor. 

---------------------------

Sorry for the derail, Rob.
Ian

Next

Return to Video Links