More Sweet Brinkman-y Goodness.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

More Sweet Brinkman-y Goodness.

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Specifically on Yizong hand methods.

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Re: More Sweet Brinkman-y Goodness.

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Great vid, as always. Really represents what I like to see in Chinese martial arts training. Looks super fun to train with him.
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby leftwose on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:23 pm

ugh - get a sound editor and a writer

also, at this point, why are your shoulders still up?

(mostly trolling SS, but I believe this too)
leftwose
Anjing

Postby AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:49 am

yup, not sure why a guy who has studied IMA for such a long time still has rising shoulders and moves from the hips. -shrug-
AllanF

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:55 am

Can you please define moving from the hips?
Ian

Postby AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:18 am

hips drive the movement as opposed to the Dantian driving the movement. i.e. the latter involves a connected body.
AllanF

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:38 am

But what does that actually mean?

17 of the thickest, longest muscles attach to the hip.

Say you're trying to work on developing a heavy, fast low kick. 

If you drive from your center of mass, and you move biomechanically correct (e.g. planted foot turns out to prevent torquing of the knee)........ your hips are naturally going to move in space. Even with a connected body, your hips are going to move.

Then how do you distinguish between "hip-driven movement" and "muscles-attached-to-the-hip-driven movement"?

Do you have access to some ultra-sophisticated EMG equipment?

Ian

Postby AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:18 am

Do you have access to some ultra-sophisticated EMG equipment?

...er...surprisingly no i don't!

If you drive from your center of mass, and you move biomechanically correct (e.g. planted foot turns out to prevent torquing of the knee)........ your hips are naturally going to move in space. Even with a connected body, your hips are going to move.

I said Dantian "drives" the movement. What you are describing has nothing to do with the dantian. But it could do if the movement start with dantian. There is a difference and it takes time to find the dantian and longer to train it. It pulls on facial tissue to move around the bones/joints, rather than pulling on bones/joints.

Say you're trying to work on developing a heavy, fast low kick.

See the last sentence above.

Then how do you distinguish between "hip-driven movement" and "muscles-attached-to-the-hip-driven movement"?

That is not what i am talking about, both are the same above, i am talking about movement that originates in the dantian and where you can see movement in the dantian, particularly when someone issues.

Please not Chen Yu here...ignore the techniques and watch his body when he is doing solo stuff. Is it the same?

In addition it is imperative that the body weight is balanced between left and right vertically when you move. Which is not the same as having 90% of your weight on one side when you move. i.e. body is divided in the quarters, from left to right quarters 1+2 are the top half, 3+4 are the bottom half; so when moving 1+4 should be full while 2+3 are empty and vice versa.
AllanF

Postby Tiga Pukul on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:32 am

He has some nice applications and a good flow.
Some points of criticism:

- What's up with the stance at 0:07, 0:28, 0:31. For me (but i come from a different background) this is not optimal structure. It's too easy to counter.
- I prefer closer range of fighting, for me he fights at medium range, but that's a personal flavour. I see a couple of situations where a sensitive attacker had the possible edge on countering (positional advantage).
- For me going down to the leg without protecting your face and just looking down feels really dangerous, no matter how fast you are, if you haven't set it up properly you will receive that nice hit or elbow to the face.
- the obvious one...the 'attacker' guy leaves his arm over extended, actually he justs presents it. The applications effectiveness are based on the long extended arm.

Perhaps these points of criticsm are perhaps explained because he wants to explain a principle, but still the actual application would have to be more checked or else you are in problems against someone who knows a little bit more.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby Ian on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:44 am

AllanF wrote:[The dantian] pulls on facial tissue to move around the bones/joints, rather than pulling on bones/joints.

I don't understand.

The neuromyofascial network is attached to the bones and joints. How can it pull *around* them rather than pull *on* them?

And if the fascial tissue doesn't pull *on* the bones and joints, how does the body even move?

---------------------------------------

In addition it is imperative that the body weight is balanced between left and right vertically when you move. Which is not the same as having 90% of your weight on one side when you move.

Why is it imperative? And why only on the vertical plane? Why not on all three planes?

How would you fulfill these requirements when throwing a round kick?

Last edited by Ian on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:49 am

Re: lifting shoulders
He does rolling techniques using the elbows. It's impossible to do such techniques without lifting the shoulders. I can't see that he does anything wrong.

Btw, it's an applications demo, not an instructional vid on perfect shenfa.
Last edited by Bao on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:03 am

Ian wrote:
AllanF wrote:[The dantian] pulls on facial tissue to move around the bones/joints, rather than pulling on bones/joints.

I don't understand.

The neuromyofascial network is attached to the bones and joints. How can it pull *around* them rather than pull *on* them?

And if the fascial tissue doesn't pull *on* the bones and joints, how does the body even move?

---------------------------------------

In addition it is imperative that the body weight is balanced between left and right vertically when you move. Which is not the same as having 90% of your weight on one side when you move.

Why is it imperative? And why only on the vertical plane? Why not on all three planes?

How would you fulfill these requirements when throwing a round kick?

Ian

The point i am trying to make albeit badly is that the body and tissue need to move in a spiral manner rather than one more 2D/linear manner.
I will state for the record that i do not have the scientific background that you seem to have so will not be able to explain it in terms that appeal to you. My best suggestion is as you implied in a previous post that you may have access to sophisticated technology that can measure the body's movement that you seek out people who CAN actually move in an IMA way and seek if you can work out the difference for yourself.

I presume you do not believe in the existence of the dantian as an active part of the body capable to driving movement?

In addition i take it that you can not see any difference between the clip i posted of Chen Yu and the standard paradigm employed in the western hemisphere's view of martial arts?

[SNIP: Why is it imperative? And why only on the vertical plane? Why not on all three planes? [SNIP]

In the image above the 4 quadrants of the body are clear to be seen and i number them from left to right as you look at it, top; 1,2 bottom; 3,4

Firstly i am only talking about IMA, there are of course a myriad number of ways to move and many of them can generate impressive power.

I mentioned the vertical plane as there is a common conception that the weight differentiation should be horizontally, using the example from my previous post regarding the segmentation of the body quadrants 2+4 should be full when an opponent is attacking quadrant 1. This is wrong IMHO. The body weight of course, if spread as i describe is still balanced on the horizontal plane and as the body itself is 3D the balance is also there on the 3rd plane.

The question should really be what advantage could there be to moving in the manner i described?

In regard to your pic (i will attempt to address it in layman's terms, due to my lack of scientific knowledge), if quadrants 2+4 are full then he is, in taijiquan terms, double heavy and susceptible to throws. If quadrants 1+4 are full then should his leg get caught he is less likely to be thrown, or at least he should be in a better position or deal with an attempted throw. Furthermore if 2+4 are full and he missed then he will be more likely to over-swing and again be more vulnerable to counter. Whereas if 1+4 are full he has more control.

Hope this helps, if not then i'll repeat what i have said on other threads, perhaps to yourself, there are people out there who move differently and who are open to scrutiny, seek them out and see for yourself.
AllanF

Postby AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:05 am

Bao wrote:Re: lifting shoulders
He does rolling techniques using the elbows. It's impossible to do such techniques without lifting the shoulders. I can't see that he does anything wrong.

Btw, it's an applications demo, not an instructional vid on perfect shenfa.

Not impossible it is relatively easy and shenfa should be present in application...especially a demonstration with a co-operative uke!
:-\
AllanF

Postby taiwandeutscher on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:13 am

You guys should try him out for real!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:14 am

Mr Brinkman seems to have mastered application of bagua to fighting. 8-)

(As a side note -- this thread is going to be a serious test for Shawn's tolerance and self control... :) Deep breaths Shawn, deep steady breaths...)
Dmitri
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links