More Sweet Brinkman-y Goodness.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: More Sweet Brinkman-y Goodness.

Postby AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 am

taiwandeutscher wrote:You guys should try him out for real!

Didn't say he couldn't fight all i am saying is that as far as IMA is concerned it is not what i am after, Tiga Pukul's point about the stance at 0:06/7 is exactly the point, if that is what you want, more power to ya.

When we read the classics regarding IMA, shoulders relaxed, elbows sunk, dang round etc. a lot seems to be contrary to the clip presented, that is all. :-\
AllanF

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:07 am

Dmitri wrote:

(As a side note -- this thread is going to be a serious test for Shawn's tolerance and self control... :) Deep breaths Shawn, deep steady breaths...)

I think we can push him over there edge. How's this:

"Why would anybody learn this bad Chinese Wrestling when they can learn proper Judo instead?"

I think that'll do it…. ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:25 am

Guys , :01 into the clip I stopped, it is not the stance at :07, it's the haunched shoulders at the opening of the clip when he is trying to lock out the elbow, classic broken force all upper body while the legs try to climb up. Glad you guys all said it first. I think there's a quite lot of us that can make demo clips and they will all be critiqued, but it shows the evolution of the forum, some guys had to go back and get there wrestling skills that they never got on the playground :P ;D but for the most part the fist is learning internal.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:29 am

(As a side note -- this thread is going to be a serious test for Shawn's tolerance and self control... :) Deep breaths Shawn, deep steady breaths...)

Dmitri: Nah, brother. I'm so happy with what I'm getting from the Gao that hearing a bunch of barking about it just makes me feel sorry for their ignorance. Thanks for worrying about my blood pressure though. :)

Graham:
Last edited by shawnsegler on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:38 am

Shawn - yeah, I used to post that video at people here too… then I tried BJJ…….. and now I'm the guy people post that video at ;D

The circle of life my friend! ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 am

A steaming hot, circle. :)

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 am

That was pretty hot.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:16 am

AllanF wrote:
Bao wrote:Re: lifting shoulders
He does rolling techniques using the elbows. It's impossible to do such techniques without lifting the shoulders. I can't see that he does anything wrong.

Btw, it's an applications demo, not an instructional vid on perfect shenfa.

Not impossible it is relatively easy and shenfa should be present in application...especially a demonstration with a co-operative uke!
:-\

Well, it depends on angle. Easy or not, doesn't matter, enganging shoulders is not a sign of bad shenfa, but treating any body part as dead is. That you can't raise your shoulders is a common mistake, but it's completely wrong. Fighting is not the same as qigong practice.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:28 am

Bao

Keeping the should sunk and relaxed has nothing to do with a part of the body being "dead" quite the opposite in fact. And is wholly martial in approach.

Yup to you guys though each to their own as i said.

Shawn interesting comment about ignorance, good luck to you!
Last edited by AllanF on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AllanF

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:35 am

You too, brotha! Just remember structural components are not necessarily the same between arts.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:11 am

AllanF wrote:Bao
Keeping the should sunk and relaxed has nothing to do with a part of the body being "dead" quite the opposite in fact. And is wholly martial in approach.

Using a body part is not the same as tense up.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:08 am

Compare this with the recent dai clip, in which the teacher demos much the same concepts in the beginning without compromised structure and the "uke" is unharmed
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Wanderingdragon wrote:Compare this with the recent dai clip, in which the teacher demos much the same concepts in the beginning without compromised structure and the "uke" is unharmed

1. The Dai XY clip doesn't have the same kind of techniques of rolling the elbows over the opponents arms.
2. BGZ shenfa is not the same as xinyi, xingyi or taiji. BGZ use twisting movement, down from the feet right up to the fingertip. Good BG shenfa should engage the whole body. There should be visible movement from the spine and shoulderblade. If not, it's either bad bagua shenfa or subtle "hidden shenfa". (Brinkman has quite a strong developed body, so I doubt he can hide his movements very much.)

AllanF wrote:When we read the classics regarding IMA, shoulders relaxed, elbows sunk, dang round etc. a lot seems to be contrary to the clip presented, that is all

That is about TAI CHI SHENFA, not a bagua quote. In fact BG shenfa can be very different from what most IMA teach. This was also the reason why I gave up my bagua. It was too different from my Tai Chi shenfa and I needed to have a certain focus as Tai chi is and will always be my main art.

All this about bad shenfa, raising shoulders and compromising shenfa is, IMHO, just ridiculous. You can have a look at Xie Peiqi, legendary Yin Bagua master. Why does he raise his shoulders and elbows? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1A6YorAh2k

So, you mean that this encyclopedia of knowledge compromise his shenfa? Maybe you guys should go to his student He Yinbao and teach him all about good shenfa? Because he was undoubtly taught wrong?!

I have never met the fellow, I hardly know anything about him and just saw a couple of clips, but, IMO, it's darn evident that Brinkman has a better bagua shenfa than most of all of those taiji and qigong infected bagua teachers around the youtube.
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:30 pm

Pei / Brinkman, unified movement / broken force, the perfect contrast. IMO internalachanics are the same no matter the art, just different patterns of movement. Shoulders down, chest round elbows down, not particular to Taichi.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links