More Sweet Brinkman-y Goodness.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: More Sweet Brinkman-y Goodness.

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:25 pm

It reminds me of the shitstorm back in the day here about people condemning the way su dong chen's hsing-i looked because it didn't look "just like" the hsing-i they knew rather than taking into account the depth of his shenfa.

As they say...

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm

NoSword wrote: Whether what he’s doing is “the same” or “different” from someone else isn’t, for me, a terribly interesting question.

shawnsegler wrote:It reminds me of the shitstorm back in the day here about people condemning the way su dong chen's hsing-i looked because it didn't look "just like" the hsing-i they knew rather than taking into account the depth of his shenfa.

I would really want to discuss these things outside this thread. This thread is sadly not the most comfortable place to visit here on the RSF, it feels a bit uncomfortable...

... But anyway ... I just want to say that the best practitioners or "masters" that I have met are the first people to break the rules or ideals of a perfect shenfa or do it differently. They will raise shoulders, collapse, act limp ... etc etc. If a person understand body method and have practiced exercises in a very orthodox and precise manner for 20 or 30 years, they tend to take a more relaxed approach to it because they allready have the goods. It's like painters, musicians or any kind of artists: If you do it too technically, you will lose personality and soul.

Be open and don't judge a personal approach after an ideal that got stuck in your head.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Bao, please PM me if you'd like to continue the conversation by other means.

Bao wrote:... But anyway ... I just want to say that the best practitioners or "masters" that I have met are the first people to break the rules or ideals of a perfect shenfa or do it differently. They will raise shoulders, collapse, act limp ... etc etc. If a person understand body method and have practiced exercises in a very orthodox and precise manner for 20 or 30 years, they tend to take a more relaxed approach to it because they allready have the goods. It's like painters, musicians or any kind of artists: If you do it too technically, you will lose personality and soul.

Be open and don't judge a personal approach after an ideal that got stuck in your head.

+1

D_Glenn wrote in a good thread on chansijin:

Having the capability to 'Be Broken (斷 Duan) but not be broken' is the goal that one is seeking to find from training to develop the 'silk reeling power'.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21243&start=120
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:39 pm

" ... But anyway ... I just want to say that the best practitioners or "masters" that I have met are the first people to break the rules or ideals of a perfect shenfa or do it differently. They will raise shoulders, collapse, act limp ... etc etc. If a person understand body method and have practiced exercises in a very orthodox and precise manner for 20 or 30 years, they tend to take a more relaxed approach to it because they allready have the goods. It's like painters, musicians or any kind of artists: If you do it too technically, you will lose personality and soul. "

Let me just say, and what a dream it would be able to do it, but a real Master will hear/feel/recognize, the most subtle break in structure and destroy you for it in the blink of an eye. That level of skill is the lost art, and that which we should truly strive for in TCIMA. No musician ever changed the scales, but the best learn how to play them their way , the greatest painter knows well the primary colors, it's how they blend them that they learn, no writer has ever turned a phrase without knowing the alphabet, and no fighter will ever achieve internal excellence without proper posture. Electricity must have unbroken current to conduct power.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:59 pm

I would also throw in that once you have the right level of internal connection it's not obvious at all from the outside what's going on on the inside.

It's possible to be in a position that would be "breaking" for a beginner and still keep internal connectivity through will power and the deep connection built over years of training and internal proprioception.

Just sayin.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:07 pm

I'll stop at this , when the lights are flickering there's very probably a short in the wiring.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:13 pm

Never consider yourself fighting someone of lesser talent.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 pm

XiaoXiong wrote: Tim Cartmell is wrong about ima. It doesn't take anything away from what has been accomplished by them, but they don't have the whole picture.

Oh cool. You mean if Tim learns internal skills, he can win more bjj competitions?

According to the guy with no competition record? :D

I'm pretty sure Rickson also doesn't have internal skills. Maybe you should enlighten him as well.

------------------

-I have special knowledge of this rare skill. No offence, but you don't have it. You're not seeing the whole picture.
-Awesome. Is it useful? Can you prove it works?
-Of course. I can show you in a demo, a drill, maybe some light sparring.
-What about competition?
-I'm not good enough, you'll have to find someone else......

Ad infinitum.
Ian

Postby XiaoXiong on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 pm

?? Sure whatever. I bet I could have a good conversation with Tim or Rickson or a lot of people. I think if myself or any other who was doing internal work was to go into Tim's school and book a private lesson and tell him what we are doing and show it to him, he would be open and receptive, even though that seems like an awkward situation to create. Rickson too.

I plan on competing and posting results. I registered for a tournament coming up. I have not entered a formal competition since training in internal work, but I actually have competed in tournaments in external arts with full contact, and won. I also did a bullshido throw down with some guys trying to test out their shit, and did very very well when I was new to bagua like ten years ago. I also was a senior student who got tested by every acolyte who came to the school, many with more experience at the time. I didn't always win, but I won a lot more than not.

Anyway, I see that people don't like what I'm saying, not that that is any part of my goal in what I'm saying, but I don't want to upset people. It just happens to be something I just do by expressing myself honestly. But I'll ask; what am I doing that doesn't help my cause? What do you think is my cause? What you do differently and why? Post to pm. Brinkman is great. Back to that.
Jess
Last edited by XiaoXiong on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Sounds good. Since you've used words like "dominating" and "near flawless" in relation to yourself and your method, you should do quite well.

So why don't you:
-compete
-dominate
-video, and show us how your work is different than guys who don't train internal skills
-post here, collect accolades

I'm not upset at all. On the contrary, this whole topic is entertaining ;D

XiaoXiong wrote: But I'll ask; what am I doing that doesn't help my cause? What do you think is my cause?

No idea! I don't think about it, tbh.

Good luck with your competition.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Postby XiaoXiong on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:47 pm

Brinkman is really cool doing this video. Let's discuss that here and the other thing somewhere else out of respect.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:04 am

I think if myself or any other who was doing internal work was to go into Tim's school and book a private lesson and tell him what we are doing and show it to him, he would be open and receptive, even though that seems like an awkward situation to create. Rickson too.

I am pretty sure this has happened with a couple of people who claimed very unique internal skills. By all account the encounters didn't quite go according to plan ... ;/

Best of luck with the competition XiaoXiong. I hope you enjoy it and get something from the experience.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:02 am

shawnsegler wrote:I would also throw in that once you have the right level of internal connection it's not obvious at all from the outside what's going on on the inside.

It's possible to be in a position that would be "breaking" for a beginner and still keep internal connectivity through will power and the deep connection built over years of training and internal proprioception.

Just sayin.

IMO the further you go into your internal study the more you will understand that it is ONLY about connection, for all parts to flow freely, there must be in harmony, not one after another but all together, they must be complete in every moment and action. Disconnect, reconnect?, waisted time and broken force, no high level combatant will do it intentionally, it is a losing strategy, a desperation move like a wolf gnawing his foot off to get out of a trap. The only, the necessary thing propeioception will do is allow you to know the the connection is jeopardy and the structure at risk, this is what the years of repetitive training is for it is the reason for slow motion in form this is the study. The absolute truth is at elite levels the connection is NEVER broken, as a spider knows your here the moment you touch his web, whether you see him or not he is aware that he has you, as you tap the water bottle it's structure never breaks but the water ripple straight to its center, haha, a little beyond what Bruce understood, but I'll say it anyway, be water my friend. 8-)
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:06 am

Umm...ok, I guess.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 am

My favorite line from my favorite TV series, "The Seven Swordsmen", "Train More"
Some friends on FB posted this it's an absolute clinic on control and connection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwacKNlUd8
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links