Ten Celestial Stems

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ten Celestial Stems

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:05 pm

This video was filmed in Taipei about 30 years ago, and demonstrates a version of the BaGua Ten Celestial Stems exercise as taught in the Hong Yi Xiang line. It differs in a number of ways from the set as taught to me by master Zhang Junfeng and from what I have seen in Taijin (which is mostly the same as what Master Zhang taught) but that is not important. I am posting it to give a general idea of the depth of the stances and exertion required to perform the sets and obtain any useful training from them.
The level of skill demonstrated is beginning intermediate. There are numerous deficiencies in the performance - for example the lack of foot movement - the feet should move as if grinding something underfoot, and power generation should be from heel to hand and heel to crown. No matter - the point is that these exercises require deep stance work, exertion throughout the body for each movement, and understanding of the type of mechanical movement that each "stem" is supposed to train.

Last edited by kenneth fish on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Re: Ten Celestial Stems

Postby vietle87 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:08 pm

The video is on private. Can you change that?
vietle87
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:20 pm

Oops. Try it now.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Thanks for posting this, great way to compare and contrast the Tian Gan forms.
They are one hell of a good workout!
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby zack on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Thank you for posting these examples Dr. Fish.
zack
Santi

Postby Baguaplayer on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 pm

That was very kind of you to share that. I enjoyed very much, thank you.
Baguaplayer
Great Old One

Postby Finny on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Cool - thanks Dr Fish

Quick question - he does most of the deep, side to side movements with quite a 'slingy', fast rhythm - is that advisable? Or better to slowly stretch through them? Or both?
Finny
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:24 pm

There is a lot that is supposed to be going on mechanically, some of which is seen in this clip. The side to side movement in pubu (low, one leg extended squat) should be at moderate speed at this level of training. One should thrust oneself from the heel (picking up the toes slightly and rotating on the center of the foot) twisting the thrusting leg as you push yourself from one side to the other. Also, Master Zhang taught us to keep our backs vertical in all of these movements (and I saw the same in Tianjin).

Glad this clip has found a receptive audience.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Ralteria on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:08 am

Is that push and grinding twist of the foot (with connection to opposite hand and crown) you are speaking of fairly common in the basic exercises of most CMA? I remember you mentioning similar for Taiji and that would explain a lot in terms of flaccidity now a days.
Last edited by Ralteria on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:51 am

Yes - although I did not say to opposite hand. The force from the thrust goes to the lead hand. If one is moving into a left foot lead bow stance, then the thrust is from the right leg - and if one is striking with the right hand, that is where the force is directed.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Ralteria on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:06 am

That makes sense, thanks for sharing the video!
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby Bill on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks for posting this.

kenneth fish wrote:The level of skill demonstrated is beginning intermediate. There are numerous deficiencies in the performance - for example the lack of foot movement - the feet should move as if grinding something underfoot, and power generation should be from heel to hand and heel to crown. No matter - the point is that these exercises require deep stance work, exertion throughout the body for each movement, and understanding of the type of mechanical movement that each "stem" is supposed to train.

I concur.

What is he doing after the punching exercise? Is it the same but adding a wrist circling after the punch? My phone screen is too small for me to see clearly.
Last edited by Bill on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:41 am

After Beng 崩, which is performed in large, extended frame and small, close frame, he does two versions of Zhua 抓 (grasping).
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:59 am

Thanks Ken

You mention about always keeping the back verticle. In the third exercise I was taught to reach far out while performing the palm down block, so far extended that the back, while straight is almost parallel with the ground.

Note: I was never taught individual names for these exercises.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:09 am

Master Zhang's versions are pretty much what I have seen from the lines descended from Wu Mengxian and Liu Fengcai. The back is vertical on those movements, which really works the quadriceps and requires supple strength in the kua. The change in the dynamic seems to start with Hong Yixiang and Hsu Hongji - but again, that is not the point.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links