Ten Celestial Stems

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Ten Celestial Stems

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:11 am

Can I ask - are you supposed to move from the hips, or from the dantien when performing these exercises?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am

You move the same way as if you were on your back, now, is that from your hips or your Dantien ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:43 am

This is not an instructional tape (and it is rife with things I would not suggest copying). In addition, there is a quite a lot of mechanical work that has to be learned before doing this exercise - so again, I would not treat this as an instructional tape.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:06 pm

kenneth fish wrote:This is not an instructional tape (and it is rife with things I would not suggest copying). In addition, there is a quite a lot of mechanical work that has to be learned before doing this exercise - so again, I would not treat this as an instructional tape.

Sure, but my question is not about wanting to copy or learn from a tape, it's about the 'philosophy' of the exercises:

by GrahamB on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:11 pm
Can I ask - are you supposed to move from the hips, or from the dantien when performing these exercises?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Deadmonki on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks for posting this Dr Fish, most interesting.
Deadmonki
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 pm

i originally learnt them this way but hsu hong chi later changed them to be more hsing i
the ones done from a small stance like the opening tai chi stance have 3 methods
waist only hips locked
shifting stance with waist
whole body rotating hips
and then like done in the clip above from a long stance
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby allen2saint on Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:46 am

Ah. Robert Smith's second edition of his Bagua book has all these movements in there, performed to the best of his memory and understanding, which are pretty darn close, really.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:42 am

Ken:

Thanks for posting and nice to see, but I am not desperately impressed: his rear leg seems to be awry in several movements. There are other clips on YouTube of these exercises performed with (to my eye) more orthodoxy to principle and with more authority.

And IME, low and SHORT stances are far more difficult to carry off than are low and LONG stances (as seen in this clip).

Certainly keeping the spine vertical requires awareness, concentration and strength in the lower back, lower abdomen and inner/upper thigh. (And for years I struggled with getting rid of a very slight forward bend at the hips in lower stances.)

But do you emphasize a vertical spine at ALL times? Do you not practice any kind of gather (mingmen back, upper spine bows) and release (mingmen flattens, upper spine unbows)?

Graham:

RE: Hips or dantien?
Very good question. I don't practice these particular exercises, but do a number of similar ones; perhaps someone else with knowledge of these will chime in.

But I would hazard a guess:
At a more intermediate-advanced stage, the idea is to move from the dantien, not the hips. This is where you start to see the pelvis tilt forward and back, sending a wave up the back (vertical); or you see a rotation around the spinal axis (horizontal) rather than a gross movement of the hips.

Hence in (say) the Chen punch, the hips don't rotate; the power comes up the spine after the dantien unrolls. (I know this forum has issues with Chen Xiaowang - as do I - but his fajing is, IMHO, excellent. Compare the mechanics of his "hidden hand punch" to, say, a boxing cross or a karate reverse punch. Plenty of examples of all of them on YouTube, and the slo-mo button is at your command.)

To me, the spinal work was more interesting to see in the clip than was the length/depth of stance that Ken focuses on in his comments.

IMHO and YMMV.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:26 am

Andy: As I said, there are more than a few things wrong with this performance - but that was not the point. The set is designed to be trained in deep, long stances - and to develop some kinds of mechanical strength that cannot be developed in low, short stances (there is separate work done in low, narrow stances). I would be curious to see what other variations are out on the net - but again, as I said, this is also the way the set is trained in Tianjin, and for the same reason. I have seen some clips where the Tian Gan are presented in an ordinary standing posture, or even presented as a Qigong exercise - and that is one of the reasons I dug this clip up and posted it. If one is not training the set for what it was designed for, and in the manner it was designed to be trained, then one will not gain the mechanical skills the set is designed to impart.

As for hips versus dantian - the answer is neither. I would, however, be very interested if you were to start a separate thread describing the anatomacal structure of the dantian and how it might motivate movement in the rest of the body (again, that is not the point of this thread. My intent was to give a general idea of how the set was intended to be trained. )
Last edited by kenneth fish on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Ken:

Fair enough.

Interesting set of exercises, and there are many variants - Luo Deziu has a tape out covering many of these.

IIRC, Smith's first bagua book was devoted exclusively to these exercises and their applications.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:47 am

I would love to see Lou do them
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 am

Can anyone name all ten for me? Back when I learned and practiced them we just ran through them without naming the individual moves.

Thanks.

I plan to start another thread on how they were altered and refering to them by their names will be helpful.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:33 am

Lets see....Al, Jimmy, and Harry - oh, wait, that's the Ritz Brothers....er, Manny, Moe, and Jack...eh, no, that's the Pep Boys....Harpo, Chico, Groucho, Gummo, and Zeppo....no, that's not right either...oh - here it is:
These are the Chinese characters, phonetics, and English names of the movements

1. 砍 Kan - to hack
2. 搬 Ban - to move by lifting or carrying
3. 按 An - to press down with the hand
4. 斜挂 Xie Gua - Gua is a kind of chopping maneuver. Xie Gua is chopping in a lateral plane.
5. 扚 Diao - to strike quickly (a quick block with the back of the wrist moving immediately to a palm strike)
6. 掖 Ye - extended bow stance and palm strike (rotate around the central axis and extend)
7. 插抓 Cha Zhua - thrusting with a spear hand upwards, then horizontal, then down. Variation - thrust and grasp
8. 崩 Beng - vertical punches in a horse stance
9. 挫 Cuo - to push down, grind (variations on palm strikes in a deep horse stance)
10. 撞 zhuang - to crash into - double palm strikes in bow stances
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby allen2saint on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 am

Lol...Nice one Dr. Fish. I'll see your martial arts stand up act any time.
allen2saint
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:00 pm

The Ritz Brothers ? That's going back aways. :D

Thanks for the list.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links