90 year old Hung Kuen master?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

90 year old Hung Kuen master?

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:09 am

Can someone share some light over this fellow, Leung Daiyau? Really 90 yr old? I can't believe it. Just look at the straight back and the softness and movability of back, scapula/shoulders. He moves and use his body better and "younger" than most 50 yr old practitioners out there. I really don't care about his age, it's an amazing performance for any age of a senior.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cPEIyKXYqS0

(Sry if this vid has been posted earlier. I think not.)

Edit: ...though it's a shame that they have tampered with the speed...
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: 90 year old Hung Kuen master?

Postby lazyboxer on Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:58 am

I'm much more inclined to believe it than many of the official government approved "internal" old masters from the North, most of whom don't make old bones. On the rare occasions they live beyond 70, their PR doesn't seem to find it slightly unusual to add another 10, 20 or even 30 years.

You can't get away with smoke and mirrors training the externals. If you can't display power, agility and stability well into your old age you're going to look a bit stupid even hinting at your martial prowess.

Alas, the same can't be said for taiji, which is why it's generally considered an old person's art.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:01 am

This is Five Pattern Hong Chuen (not Hong Jia or Hung Gar) - it is a much older system. Judging from his face I would say he is at least in his 80's.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 am

lazyboxer wrote:Alas, the same can't be said for taiji, which is why it's generally considered an old person's art.

Also the martial tai chi practitioners seem to live longer than the "health tai chi" practitioners. I believe in the health aspects of TCMA but qigong and health tai chi seem to be slightly overrated...

kenneth fish wrote:This is Five Pattern Hong Chuen (not Hong Jia or Hung Gar) - it is a much older system. Judging from his face I would say he is at least in his 80's.

Ah! I couldn't recognise the form and thought it could be some Ha sei Fu variation. Well, I was pretty close then. ;D
80 something or older. Yeah, seems likely. Thanks for your comment.

And well, did you enjoy the performance?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:54 am

Yes - I'd seen this before - I liked the performance and I also like the system. I knew Yuan Yik Kai who represented the system in Hong Kong, I believe he told me that the system originated in Fujian.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Jim_F on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am

Very impressive and yet Lam Jo, aged 100, would have kicked his ass ;)
Jim_F
Anjing

Postby kenneth fish on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:09 am

Lam Jo did not have to kick anyone's ass. All he had to do was give them a withering look.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Jim_F on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11 am

Haha, true! Even with the sunglasses on.
Jim_F
Anjing

Return to Video Links