post your sparring, push hands, applications videos here.

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

post your sparring, push hands, applications videos here.

Postby bruce on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm

here is some of our ima practice from the other day. semi non cooperative and of coarse pulling punches.
i enjoy working to a clinch to grapple/throw/lock from this kind of attack but my main focus in this practice is too understand distance and not get hit.
my root is mostly in my forward foot at impact so i can weight my rear foot with the follow up strike of grapple.
i try to switch between which leg is forward often.

this is a variation of what i call push hands. i will show a few other methods i play with later. i label all study of ima usage together as push hands though lol.

if you have the means please post a bit of your practice and let us know what you are working on.

comments are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ssRzbI ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by bruce on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bruce
Great Old One

Re: post your sparring, push hands, applications videos here.

Postby GrahamB on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:23 am

I thought that was a very accurate demonstration of your respective posting styles on the forum! ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Pandrews1982 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:33 am

Bruce,

I saw this on facebook and sent a message to Jose. I think you guys have a great group going and are doing some good training. A lot of my own training these days involves these kind of sparring match ups where you are looking at specific ideas and concepts and experimenting with them.

I gave Jose a few comments on his use of Hou xing, as its one I tend to use in this kind of situation too. I said he should also consider playing with trying to draw a reaction by playing with range and distance, height of attacks and looking to switch directions in succession also use of distraction is something hou xing does too. There are a couple of times Jose does pretty good and makes you flinch or switches direction and gets a momentary advantage in terms of position.

Your strategy looks more like what I would call "bear" from my xing yi, relaxed and non-committal waiting for an opportunity. Think most of what you're doign is fine but those couple of times where you flinch a little I think could have been avoided with a little more active footwork and I think Jose would have found it much harder if you'd have followed up on some of your initial strikes.

I remember maybe a year or two ago doing some similar training with my teacher and Graham's tai chi teacher present. I was kind of in Jose's position sparring with a larger and stronger opponent and I was picking at him with opportunistic shots. Afterwards both of the senior teachers said that the practice was good but that it lasted too long and at some point you need to just get in there and mix it up whether you get hit on the way in or not. In fact they said more you practice this the more you find you can deal with those shots as you enter. Their take was look for the advantage and once you have it try to follow it up, maybe something to work on too?

Good stuff guys :)
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 am

Nice, :D wish we had spent more time on that type of play when you were here , good work ;)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Sean on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:39 pm

Sean
Wuji

Postby bruce on Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks for the comments paul.

Next time wd

Nice one sean I like that practice.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:42 pm

hi paul,

i hope all is well ... long time ...

Pandrews1982 wrote:Bruce,

There are a couple of times Jose does pretty good and makes you flinch or switches direction and gets a momentary advantage in terms of position.
yep lol one of the times he got me in the mouth and somehow wrapped a long hair through my teeth.

Pandrews1982 wrote:Your strategy looks more like what I would call "bear" from my xing yi, relaxed and non-committal waiting for an opportunity.

patience. i try to treat each small interaction as the start of the conflict instead of looking at it as one long fight.

Pandrews1982 wrote:Think most of what you're doign is fine but those couple of times where you flinch a little I think could have been avoided with a little more active footwork and I think Jose would have found it much harder if you'd have followed up on some of your initial strikes.
Their take was look for the advantage and once you have it try to follow it up, maybe something to work on too?

your observations are correct.

in that clip i was playing with distance. and giving some basic resistance so jose could try his thing. i will try to show a different type of movement in the next video to show what some of my preferences are when i have not narrowed the scope of the "rules"

Good stuff guys :)[/quote]

thanks for commenting.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks for posting your practice guys.

Im having a sparring session with one of my students Saturday so will film n get it up :D

Hopefully more will follow suit :D
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:50 am

Looks like you guys are moving towards the right ideas.
neijia_boxer

Postby Josealb on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:40 am

There might be a good sanda guy coming tomorrow to play. If Bruce remembers to bring his camera + tripod, we might have some interesting stuff afterwards.
Man carcass in alley this morning...
Josealb
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Hate to say it. But flailing hands are somewhat annoying to me, in contled sparring I guess they can help with seeing and timing and footwork, but for fighting you just gotta crash through them and finish it. In some sparring I have found you can force the commitment by getting in, instead of getting away, but because you cannot strike with your own commitment and many times empty strikes are not always acknowledged, it ends up a grapple.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Antony Wood on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Hi guys,

Here is a couple of my students trying out stuff in sparring. They are going a bit easy, though..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=97 ... =2&theater

Antony
Antony Wood
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:14 am

Don't quite see the point of all that protective gear for slow non contact
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Antony Wood on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:24 am

yeah, it wasn't supposed to be such light sparring, sometimes its hard to get some students to open up and go for it.

Antony
Antony Wood
Anjing

Postby Antony Wood on Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:53 am

Here is one of my beginning students a while back sparring my friends wing chun student. My guy (the smaller one) only had about one month of class. Thought he did pretty well hanging in there, keeping his hands up, and going for the outside line.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=97 ... =2&theater

Antony
Antony Wood
Anjing

Next

Return to Video Links