Basic exercises for whole-body connection

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Basic exercises for whole-body connection

Postby dspyrido on Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:32 am

I-mon wrote:Dspyrido (what is your name anyway?) - Yeah all of the movements shown in this thread I will sometimes practice with full extension/contraction and full power, sometimes with "sound of thunder" xylh type vocalisation, especially on movements pulling back in to the center.

Call me I-mon. Oh wait a second...

I ask because some of the moves had elements of xylh basics which also get built to fajin basics. You explained it nicely.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:39 am

Oh yeah, I forget that sometimes. I was listening to a lot of Jamaican music around the time I first joined the forum. My name's Simon.

I love that about those movements, the fundamental movement elements of most systems and sports are contained in those relatively few combinations of flexion-extension, lateral flexion (abduction/adduction) and rotation of the torso, legs and arms, in the standing position. Just add diagonals (not shown in any of the videos), figure eights, circles and spirals and rolling and hey presto you're starting to get somewhere.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Patrick on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:10 am

I think your system is very good. I wish I could train a bit with you. Seems more to my liking than a currently famous handstand man ;).
Too bad that you are in australia.
http://www.dhyana-fitness.at- The philosophy and practice of a healthy life
Patrick
Wuji

Postby Bao on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:59 pm

Again, very nice exercises. :)

Good to see movements or exercises broken down into many different variations.

Is this way you usually practice? Do you practice them in other ways as well?
I have had a quite a few teachers that teach different kinds of arm swinging exercises. They looked very different due to the teacher and the focus of practice. Some would focus on coordinating different parts of the body, some would look very compact, practicing leg and core movement and just let the arms be empty, like dead parts swing as they liked. Different focus, different goals.

...Just some thoughts. Interesting to see how the same exercises can have such a different feel and flavor. :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks guys!

Patrick, thanks for the compliment. What I do has a lot more basic IMA in it than any of the famous handstanders that I know, plus I have less and less interest in anything people would consider "spectacular". I hope to come through Europe and North America sometime next year to visit all you lot and see what you're up to.

Bao I'm not sure if I have a way that I "usually" practice, exactly, it tends to change in a somewhat cyclical manner, sometimes more martial, sometimes more meditative, sometimes more parkour-ish. I have many other variations of these which I practice, some of which are more obviously or explicitly martial. I'll probably chuck some of them up on the tube before too long.
I-mon
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Video Links