Interesting documentary about various Chinese arts (English)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Interesting documentary about various Chinese arts (English)

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:31 am

I was impressed with the old Chinese teacher.

jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Re: Interesting documentary about various Chinese arts (English)

Postby liokault on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:46 am

I didn't see anything in there that made me think it's a valid fighting art. It's like they are well practised in what they are doing, but what they are doing stopped having anything to do with fighting a long time ago.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby wushutiger on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 pm

wushutiger
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:22 am

jonathan.bluestein wrote:I was impressed with the old Chinese teacher.

Used to believe all that stuff 40 odd years ago then I grew to perceive it somewhat differently as I realized how come it always took at least two good guys to beat one bad guy (Shaw Brother movies). :D Oh and wasn't impressed with his two hand pushing with the hands moving in juxtaposition. His wrist lock was sloppy although I do like their attitude even if it lacks realism in self defence style fighting. :)
willywrong

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 am

Some people can have excellent gongfu even when they cannot fight with it... Other can fight but will never have gongfu.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby Hanan on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Jonathan,

Gong Fu is skill acquired with time and practice (among few other things), hence you can have good Gong Fu in Violin playing, other have good Gong Fu in being a construction worker etc.

In every doing most of the people are just the average and only few are very skilled and have something that others have not!

Fighting is also a skill.....those how can fight....and fight good....do have some kind of Gong Fu.....

Without Gong Fu, you can't be good in fighting.

There are many things to write about this term 'Gong Fu'..... I tried to make it short.

Hanan
Last edited by Hanan on Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Flow, Be the Flow.
Hanan
Mingjing

Postby willywrong on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:31 pm

jonathan.bluestein wrote:Some people can have excellent gongfu even when they cannot fight with it... Other can fight but will never have gongfu.

Please give me your definition of Gongfu (kungfu). :)
willywrong

Postby D_Glenn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:00 pm

willywrong wrote:
jonathan.bluestein wrote:Some people can have excellent gongfu even when they cannot fight with it... Other can fight but will never have gongfu.

Please give me your definition of Gongfu (kungfu). :)

There's the gongfu (training over a period of time) where it's solo, practicing and training done in order to know yourself, know your own body.

Then there's the gongfu of fighting, where you need to know the opponent and how an opponent moves their body. (This is more difficult to learn because really you have to actually fight in order to practice your gongfu for fighting, or gain knowledge of how an actual opponent moves. And if you get hit in the head too much during this training, then all the knowledge you should be gaining is just being knocked out of you.) ;)

It's a conundrum, but in China they kind of solved it by arranging fights between equally matched students of different schools. There's enough rivalry between the students that it was still as close to a real fight as you could get.

'Knowing yourself, and knowing your opponent, [and you will have] a hundred battles, and a hundred victories.'

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My story is the story of a raging Christ figure who tore himself off the cross and with blood in eyes looked up at the Romans and said “My turn cocksuckers.”

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Return to Video Links