Lion mooching about!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Lion mooching about!

Postby ashapaul on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:28 am

BGZ basics. A simple move, but a classic. Just training the technique! Not fighting! Very simple!
ashapaul
Anjing

Re: Lion mooching about!

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Nice :) Paul at his best, ;) doing what he knows 8-)
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:38 am

I'm confused, is this not worthy of praise ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:45 pm

I know it's a technique but I kept looking and seeing how close the "attacker's" elbow kept on coming to his chest and face. Would this work? It kind of seems to me you need to have an "attacker" who is not really trying to knock you block off.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby David Boxen on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:41 pm

The elbow doesn't seem to be too dangerous since it is being hyper-extended when coming close to his chest. If anything I would think you would want it in even closer, using the shoulder or chest as a fulcrum rather than the palm.

I think it's a good clip to introduce some ideas of how to apply the kind of movement that comes from the tea cup exercises, among other things.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby D_Glenn on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Ba-men wrote:In CTMA I see practitioners explore/learn skill sets that don't warrant the amount of time they put into these skill sets. Its a sensitive issue here so I'll use modern Aikido as an example of what I see in much of CTMA's. Much of what we see in Aikido runs counter to would actually happen in a fight. In a lot of what they do the opponent would just let go of what was being grabbed e.g. a lapel, a wrist etc...

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby dspyrido on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 am

David Boxen wrote:The elbow doesn't seem to be too dangerous since it is being hyper-extended when coming close to his chest. If anything I would think you would want it in even closer, using the shoulder or chest as a fulcrum rather than the palm.

A small step will cure that woe. A bigger one will end it.

I think I will chalk this one down as a demo or training excercise.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:11 pm

D_Glenn wrote:
Ba-men wrote:In CTMA I see practitioners explore/learn skill sets that don't warrant the amount of time they put into these skill sets. Its a sensitive issue here so I'll use modern Aikido as an example of what I see in much of CTMA's. Much of what we see in Aikido runs counter to would actually happen in a fight. In a lot of what they do the opponent would just let go of what was being grabbed e.g. a lapel, a wrist etc...

To understand sticking is to know how not to allow one to let go once stuck. They don't warrant the time put in ??? Haha.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Return to Video Links