Recent practice

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Recent practice

Postby NoSword on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Just a little freestyle practice with some peppermint tea and a friend's cat. Input is appreciated.

AK
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Re: Recent practice

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:18 pm

is there anything in particular you are working on here ?
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Flow, transitioning smoothly from one movement to the next without getting caught in a frozen posture or having too many abrupt angles.

AK
NoSword
Wuji

Postby Mr_Wood on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:54 pm

cool, im also trying to incorporate smoothness into my xing yi which isnt such an easy thing. I like to play around with being completely rooted from step to step in more free practice, i find this very beneficial for where im up to. Similar to BGZ stepping I guess or any other stepping for that matter :)
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby I-mon on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Cool. God only knows how many hours I've spent doing similar stuff, when no one's looking.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby Ralteria on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 pm

I-mon wrote:Cool. God only knows how many hours I've spent doing similar stuff, when no one's looking.

And the odd looks from the wife when someone is, hahaha. Apparently this kind of thing is "distracting" or something.

Good stuff, AK.
Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear!!!! For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!!!!
Ralteria
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:52 pm

NoSword wrote:Flow, transitioning smoothly from one movement to the next without getting caught in a frozen posture or having too many abrupt angles.

AK

none of it seems to be connected
is this done perpoursly
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:20 pm

I understand what you are trying to do, but IMO you are not involving the necessary intent. Though it does seem to be smooth transitioning, it is as though you are trying to sneak a workout in avoiding the strange looks you mentioned, your postures are tall and there seems to be very little rooting, you don't have to freeze frame the finish bit the intent should still show up. The smoothness you seek is in the connection. I get caught lost in my mental training often, sometimes when you envision it you have to do it, to feel it, even if just in the tiniest manifestation, but you still must involve the whole body. It has helped in another aspect, the smaller least conspicuous move involves greater internal understanding.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby NoSword on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:45 pm

windwalker wrote:
NoSword wrote:Flow, transitioning smoothly from one movement to the next without getting caught in a frozen posture or having too many abrupt angles.

AK

none of it seems to be connected
is this done perpoursly

Can you define 'connected' In this context?
NoSword
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:30 am

There was a good minute or two in the beginning where you were just wandering back and forth, making tea and occasionally waving your arms around.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:29 am

Looks pretty deadly.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:54 am

GrahamB wrote:Looks pretty deadly.

Yeah, especially with the tea cup. Reminds me about old Kung Fu movies, like Game of Death 2. :o

But I like yr relaxed practice, No Sword, a great way to get a feeling for... uh... "stuff"? in deadly daily life.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:27 am

the title is "connectivity dance 10 17"

its not from my pov connected in a taiji sense, others or you may feel differently.
you asked for some comments, this is what I noted.

your elbows are raised independent of the body.
the timing of the hand movements, dont seem to match the timing of the body movements, they are independent of it
the back does not show much if any opening and closing, coordinated with the arm movements.
your watching your self move, and moving from this, this means your mind is not in sync with your movements, its not directing the movements from an inner feeling
the movements are being directed from an outer perspective of how something looks as opposed to feel.

Synchronising the changes throughout the Form is an important step in developing your Taiji. This is the natural timing that results when relaxation motivates your movement, sinking and issuing originates from the root below and closing and opening is from the centre within.

http://www.taijiquan-school-of-central- ... nt-points/

Use your intention and qi to carry the movement. The whole body should be relaxed. Sinking your qi and momentum to the lower place is taiji's correct rule. I (Teacher Li) have often seen taiji practicioners allowing their four limbs to move completely by themselves and to move without guidance. This may look fancy but it is a mistake.

http://www.qi-journal.com/Taiji.asp?Nam ... .D=Article

understanding that your not playing a from the essential elements should still be there regardless,
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Ian on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Is this at all related to martial arts? If so, what's the format?
Ian

Postby NoSword on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:25 pm

The format is Systema classes with an instructor here in Seattle and another in Portland, a weekly sparring get-together with people from various backgrounds, occasional stop-ins at various grappling and MMA schools. This is one of the things I do when I don't have a training partner.

If the relationship isn't clear to you, I don't know that I can persuade you.

AK
Last edited by NoSword on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoSword
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links