Recent practice

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Recent practice

Postby RobP2 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:33 am

NoSword wrote:
The big difference between what I'm doing and the traditional way is that improvisation has historically been considered very advanced training for a privileged few. In most classical arts, improvisation is an elite privilege that has to be earned by first grounding oneself in the basics. I'm all for the basics, but in my own journey I came to feel that postponing improvisation any longer would be a mistake.

Ido Portal posted something recently on this subject that caught my eye: "Can one circumvent the Isolation and Integration phases and go to Improvisation directly without losing complexity:variety:quality ratio and while gaining freedom from 'boxes' and jails equipped with 'bars of gold'?"

Yep, fits in totally with my own Systema experience, but it's miles away form the intent-driven approach of CIMA. Just move, let the body solve the problem. It's quite alien to many martial arts people, though we find athletes, free runners, etc pick it up very quickly
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:15 pm

it should evolve toward dance

some inspiration ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engA3_onALA

The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah that's the stuff
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:58 am

NoSword wrote:One is the concept of concealed intent... The other is the idea of conscious inhibition.
I predict that the further I persist with this sort of practice, the less it will come to resemble martial arts at all.

It's not that I don't know what you're doing. Rather, I disagree with the way you're doing it. 

I like looking at how the 1% practice, e.g. Red Bull Air Race pilots. 

They extensively use visualization because they can't fly whenever they want, and it's impossible to make every run perfect. 

Even at a high level of abstraction, and if they're moving at all, the movements still clearly resemble flying.

The same goes for Gennady Golovkin, Kobe Bryant, Tiger Woods... how do you think they combine visualization with movement? 

In ways that are so abstract that the movements are unrecognisable to outside viewers?

Shaq on Kobe:
You'd walk in there and he'd be cutting and grunting and motioning like he was dribling and shooting - except there was no ball. I thought it was weird, but I'm pretty sure it helped him

There is a potentially infinite number of ways to, say, throw a punch. You could easily spend all your practice time rehearsing different combinations of punches at different levels and angles. Or, you could look at the place where all of those punches come from, and practice that place.
Ido Portal posted something recently on this subject that caught my eye: "Can one circumvent the Isolation and Integration phases and go to Improvisation directly..."

Not if you want to get to the highest level.

"Let me show you exactly the way it should be done ."

Kobe shoots 400 perfect shots per day.
Last edited by Ian on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby RobP2 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:17 am

Ian wrote:

Not if you want to get to the highest level.

"Let me show you exactly the way it should be done ."

Kobe shoots 400 perfect shots per day.

But he is doing something extremely specific. So we can practice each punch, kick, lock etc 400 times a day...or perhaps learn how to improvise and fine tune existing movement patterns to suit?
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby NoSword on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 am

I recently listened to an interview with Daniel Coyle, author of The Talent Code: http://wellroundedathlete.net/021-danie ... t-podcast/

He distinguishes between "hard" (classical music, synchronized swimming) and "soft" skills (jazz, standup comedy) and the different processes that are necessary to master each. Most skills have aspects of both, however -- basketball is a good example of a sport that's right in the middle. You could make a similar argument about fighting.

Here’s another Ido post that speaks to the difference between hard and soft skills:

“In order for your Movement Practice as well as life to be complete, there is a need of two approaches to be used alternately:

1. The Classic approach - the pursuit of quantifiable markers of movement - sets, reps, time, numbers, etc.

2. The Romantic approach - the pursuit of sensations, feelings, images, analogies, even... legends!

NO PRACTICE WILL BE COMPLETE WITHOUT BOTH APPROACHES.

This kind of double approach have been my way since day one, but in the 2013 Movement Camp I was introduced to the words and terminology by my friend Frank Forencich from Exuberant Animal. (Frank's ideas and philosophy can be found here: http://www.exuberantanimal.com)

Many people fall into the trap of using one approach - for example some view the logging of training variables such as number of seconds spent in a handstand or reps performed in a chin up as 'limited', 'OCD', 'Short Term', etc, while others view the pursuit of sensations and images as 'esoteric', 'fantasy', 'non-scientific'.

For best results - combine both approaches - the Classical approach for the induction of proper momentum in the training process and the repetition and perfection of skill as well as the Romantic approach for refinement of positioning, movement quality, alignment, mindfulness, etc.”

There's no question that a purely classical approach can be very effective. A friend and sparring partner of mine is a pro MMA/BJJ guy and recorded himself each day throwing a couple hundred perfect jabs, crosses, uppercuts and hooks one summer as he was preparing for a match. This sort of an approach makes no sense to me personally -- I'm mostly interested in all the shots that are "between" each category -- but it was hard to argue with it as he was landing those punches.

Different approaches work for different people. I could never stick with my friend’s training regimen, not for a single day – but somehow I still manage to hang with him in sparring! I’m sure he finds my approach equally alien to his sensibilities. Of course, a different approach will also lead to a different quality of skill in the end. But I’m convinced that there are multiple ways up the mountain.

As far as comparing oneself to the 1%, I don’t think that’s a very productive approach. For one thing, the 1% are typically concerned with performance at the expense of longevity. But more to the point, I think that judging one’s own training by the standards of the 1% leads to a disconnect in one’s training, a type of cognitive dissonance. It’s a bit like RBSD types who have never been in the military or been the victims of a crime, but wear camo all the time and talk about tactical this and tactical that.

Far more important to really understand where you're at, at a given moment in your practice.

AK
Last edited by NoSword on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your identity is the enemy
NoSword
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links