Hand-Body-Foot movement versus Foot-Body-Hand

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Hand-Body-Foot movement versus Foot-Body-Hand

Postby Bhassler on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 am

GrahamB wrote:Like Graham?????????

Damn right. Goddamn hippy.

;D
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:47 am

willywrong wrote:I think that people should have to walk the walk as well is talk the talk.

In the real world, I agree. But since all we have to work with here is reason and the interwebs, I think we should adapt to the tools at hand and hold true to the methods for testing that are available to us.

It is funny, though, how the conversation changes in face to face meetings when people know that the immediate response to any sort of assertion will be "show me", followed by a grab, punch, throw, the taking up of weapons, etc.

Good times, all around.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Niall Keane on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:55 pm

The classics and ban hao talk about three forwards, and we have triple tip theory in spear etc. Why?

They all move together for one very very important reason. The step also is of vital importance in a full contact or weapon arena , the step should be a seven star or nine palace move in western terms it seeks lead foot dominance this securing the success of any follow up. It also turns moves our targets away from the enemy, so he must readjust to counter, thus it delays his counter! And can be used tobsteer him into our trap.

And as I have mentioned before it allows us penetrating range and angle to gather power.

None of this is possible with planted feet.

I have spoken with many world class boxers and they all agree thatbeibg able to deliver strikes on the move as opposed to squaring up is a rare skill, the rearest being able to deliver ko power on the retreat ... Probably because most train on heavy bags as opposed to apad man who is constantly moving forward backwards and stationary from time to time.

So I see here modern fencing with its straight line approach relying on speed to touch and score, disregarding that shit happens and as important as targeting to the real fighter is minimising danger! Ie each step contains advantage! Hand moves with step as this also helps hide each other, something of a common theme in old fencing
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Postby Teazer on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Niall Keane wrote:so the op video is basically dont step, reach with the hand first, its faster.......

Mostly because it is safer rather than necessarily faster, though having tried it a number of ways, h/b/f is indeed very quick. With such a weapon there is a lot less requirement of generating impact, so while it is a weaker strike than stepping in, winding up, and then swinging, that's not really a bad trade off.
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 pm

Bhassler wrote:
willywrong wrote:I think that people should have to walk the walk as well is talk the talk.

In the real world, I agree. But since all we have to work with here is reason and the interwebs, I think we should adapt to the tools at hand and hold true to the methods for testing that are available to us.

It is funny, though, how the conversation changes in face to face meetings when people know that the immediate response to any sort of assertion will be "show me", followed by a grab, punch, throw, the taking up of weapons, etc.

Good times, all around.

I live in the real world and these methods of testing are no methods. My old faculty professor at University complained to me in 95 about the Internet and that there was no true vetting procedure and yet people were putting their PhD's on the net without them having passed University procedures for PhD's.
As time has passed I tend to agree with him. So I think I just leave this shallow unreal world to those who fit in it. Luck with those who use it, me I'm off to drill.
willywrong

Postby Niall Keane on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:19 am

Teazer wrote:
Niall Keane wrote:so the op video is basically dont step, reach with the hand first, its faster.......

Mostly because it is safer rather than necessarily faster, though having tried it a number of ways, h/b/f is indeed very quick. With such a weapon there is a lot less requirement of generating impact, so while it is a weaker strike than stepping in, winding up, and then swinging, that's not really a bad trade off.

If one has to wind up to issue, and move, then one is moving and issuing wrong, certainly from an IMA perspective!

Regardless, it doesn't satisfy the point of moving yourself as a target for a counter, as opposed to standing there like a hanging bag begging for combinations to be poured upon. The approach demonstrated only works for the initial strike which scores in modern fencing but even a stab may not be the end of an altercation and having not moved being seized is almost inevitable.... That's when the fun starts, and he will have wished he left his dollies at home!!!
The Emperor has no clothes on!
Niall Keane
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links