Why TMA Punch to Chest

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Why TMA Punch to Chest

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Fractures of the 4th or 5th metacarpal resulting from hitting someone in the jaw are so common that they have a name: "boxer's fractures". When I trained at Gleason's Gym it was made clear that getting into scraps outside of the gym was a good way to get thrown out of the gym, as no trainer wanted an up and coming boxer to be injured outside of the ring.

In my Chinese martial arts training hand conditioning was de rigueur. I can still punch a hard surface (e.g. a plaster wall, tree, lamp post) with no negative effect....but it took a lot of training to get to that point.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I worked with a guy called freddy eiles he had over 300 fights on the street including 8'australian boxing champs
Freddy was never beaten
I didn't know freddy at that time only as an older man
His hands were a series of broken knuckles not one unscathed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:05 pm

Finny wrote:
willywrong wrote:
jonathan.bluestein wrote:Furthermore, in my experience one doesn't require a lot of hand conditioning to hit well a face with an unprotected closed fist. Takes less than people think.

My experience of hitting people in the head is having their teeth embedded in the bones of my fingers just beneath my knuckles a most unpleasant after-effect to deal with. This amongst others is one of the reasons I prefer the open hand to the first. :)

Yeah I was going to say... maybe you're not hitting that hard then. I've broken my hand twice punching with closed fist. For certain reasons I don't use an open hand. But I'll take a broken carpal over a broken face any day...

When I said their teeth were embedded in my hand I met that literally. Their head was usually with them and they were on the ground. :D
willywrong

Postby willywrong on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:08 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I worked with a guy called freddy eiles he had over 300 fights on the street including 8'australian boxing champs
Freddy was never beaten
I didn't know freddy at that time only as an older man
His hands were a series of broken knuckles not one unscathed

Wasn't he the guy who when asked what his secret was replied "they seem to move in slow motion and I always hit up". :)
willywrong

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:22 pm

No he said just aim up
Meaning don't hold back
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links