Taiji Tested (this time for real)

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Taiji Tested (this time for real)

Postby windwalker on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:48 pm

@aelred,

did you feel like your balance was being affected or only your body?
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 am

It's obvious that in a lot of "PH tournaments" based on pushing your opponent an inch or two in one direction or another, ZQ would lose. OTOH, he is very good at dropping his opponent while not being dropped himself - far more critical skills.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:33 am

This one was a good exchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc8kBjdQsbg

Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 am

And this is (I guess...?) Aelred's death match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayZmPW-s39k

Some nice instruction in there.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby aelred on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:33 am

LOL, no, I was in the original video I posted. That last one you referred to as the death match did contain some nice attempts at playing patty-cakes though. To be fair, the gentleman in question admitted before he stepped up that he had never done free pushing like that, only the fixed patterns.

@Andy: Yes, the exchange with the long-haired guy probably showed the cleanest throws.

@Windwalker: My balance was almost irrelevant. In the very first throw he did, where I dropped to one knee, I was "balanced", but had a forward lean, and he took the leg.

His root is simply amazing, as is his ability to soften and suddenly emit power. I can usually hold my own, but with CZQ I wasn't even in his league. Hell, I'm not even sure I was playing the same game.
aelred
Santi

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:39 am

aelred wrote:LOL, no, I was in the original video I posted. That last one you referred to as the death match did contain some nice attempts at playing patty-cakes though. To be fair, the gentleman in question admitted before he stepped up that he had never done free pushing like that, only the fixed patterns.

@Andy: Yes, the exchange with the long-haired guy probably showed the cleanest throws.

@Windwalker: My balance was almost irrelevant. In the very first throw he did, where I dropped to one knee, I was "balanced", but had a forward lean, and he took the leg.

His root is simply amazing, as is his ability to soften and suddenly emit power. I can usually hold my own, but with CZQ I wasn't even in his league. Hell, I'm not even sure I was playing the same game.

thanks, I asked because it didnt really seemed like he worked with your balance at all. Considering the type of training he does this would be expected.
Its a skill set, and he his good at it.
My balance was almost irrelevant

actually its very relevant, had you understood this, at your size and weight, there really is not much he or others, would have been able to do in this format.
thanks for the feed back. ;)

It's obvious that in a lot of "PH tournaments" based on pushing your opponent an inch or two in one direction or another, ZQ would lose. OTOH, he is very good at dropping his opponent while not being dropped himself - far more critical skills.

never was/not a fan of whats called "ph" tournaments even after having helped to judge some and working with people who enter into them.

based on pushing your opponent an inch or two in one direction or another

this is I feel is a common misconception, with those that doint understand is that an "inch or two" is all it really takes if one is working on disrupting the others balance.
After this anything else is relative to what one wants to do. If one can not achieve it, then it means they still have to deal with the others body, and total mass.

Once one loses their balance depending on how its done it's pretty much over unless one can recover, which if an art is based on this being able to recover is difficult if not
impossible for those who dont work on this level.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 am

this is a good clip that shows, the habits IMO/IME that many develop in "ph competitions"
look at the difference between the teacher and the student.
there is no way he can "push" on the teacher because his intent
structure, and balance points are not in sync.

while the teacher's is very much in sync. this allows him the freedom
by moving "one inch or two ;) " to do what ever he wants.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:59 am

Yes, I have always seen the true goal of pushing is to not allow your opponents touch to your where in any way, as the is when your center can be affected.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby aelred on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 am

actually its very relevant, had you understood this, at your size and weight, there really is not much he or others, would have been able to do in this format.
thanks for the feed back. ;)

Actually, I do understand this. The point I was attempting to make, and I apologize if I didn't explain myself properly, is that even when balanced, he was able to "take" my center.
aelred
Santi

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:18 pm

The last guy shows what happens when u don't play his game
The only times he was bested was when he played chens game
Chens big advantage is he gives his partner nothing
He just steps back not engaging never trying anything until the attacker overcommits or has a lack in concentration then does a blitz attack
Works well in this environment but not so good on the street or competition
I would like to know what people on this site are his partners in the clips
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby aelred on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Wayne, it is me in the first clip with CZQ.
Last edited by aelred on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aelred
Santi

Postby Dmitri on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:13 pm

wayne hansen wrote:he gives his partner nothing
He just steps back not engaging never trying anything until the attacker overcommits or has a lack in concentration then does a blitz attack

Kind'a like what TJQ's "engagement mentality" is supposed to be, no? :)

Might be worth noting that most people he's having any trouble with are MUCH larger/heavier than he is... It's not very easy to make things look effortless and impressive when the size difference is substantial AND the opponent is not completely lacking in skill.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:50 pm

edited:
not much to say

happy holidays ;)
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:31 pm

In the last three videos, Mr. Chen is calm, he is patient, he reacts smoothly as opportunities present themselves and can both root effectively and move effectively. Obviously he has practised a long time with many partners. It's still a training game format but he is very, very good at it and the skills he demonstrate can translate well into self-defence.
My Website [with a link to my Youtube Channel] https://sites.google.com/view/mbtaiji/home
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby fisherman on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:53 pm

In the last three videos, Mr. Chen is calm, he is patient, he reacts smoothly as opportunities present themselves and can both root effectively and move effectively. Obviously he has practised a long time with many partners. It's still a training game format but he is very, very good at it and the skills he demonstrate can translate well into self-defence.

I think that these are a couple of pretty important observations.
fisherman
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links