Huang Taiji free-style applications

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Huang Taiji free-style applications

Postby cloudz on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:44 am

well yea, they are co-operative, but one up from the OP clip lol
man you really got it in for him, remind me not to upset you Matt. :D
will PM you mate.. not about this.

ps. I can certainly understand how his overall presentation can rub the wrong way though.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 am

A lot of times I hear in Neija's tone, " yeah but can it fight", and I admire that. Now days I can see what can and cannot fight and I just look for the flaws. If I think the op is open to constructive observation I'll question it , usually gets me in trouble with the fans though, and then there are those who I am sure, the only way to reach is to have an opportunity to touch their skill, so nothing you can say online will help.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby bruce on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:21 am

i think some of the positions and ideas adam shows are good. one of his flaws in my opinion is that he allows his students to attack in unrealistic ways with no follow up and no regard for the response made by adam to the attacks.
they attack but they seem to not listen. you can do this at any speed with out injuring your training partner. give a honest attack and follow up for adam to show his example from. everything i see adam do has potential but the students seem to just take a fall.

i wonder what it looks like when he just free plays.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:01 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:
Gringorn wrote:
Could it be this one?
There are some examples of a bit more "lively" applications throughout the video.

the applications look to acted out. Def Academy award winning Hollywood level. As one guy who brought Mizner to USA say to me: "Adam can't do those things in his videos to me unless I allow him to. he is a master of self-promotion."

If you believe that why would you bring him to the u.s.
It is not so much adam that is at fault here but those who promote him
It wasn't the guy with the chili was it
The other thing that should be mentioned is in the more active stuff there is clever editing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby neijia_boxer on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:56 pm

Not just myself but others started noticing the funniness about 6 to 7 years ago.

comments:

Matt Stampe
6 years ago
looks good. what type of taijiquan is that? what kind of fight record does he have against an actual unwilling to compromise opponent?

HMEdisciple
6 years ago
in reply to Matt Stampe
this is yang taiji..these teachers don't fight for sport but the last person on the street who arched up to one of them got is nervous system shut down from a light tap on the collar bone. No joke.

kamhungfai
7 years ago
Your stuff looks like high end southern mantis. I noted you have a background in southern mantis. Is my observation valid?

andymach33
7 years ago
in reply to kamhungfai
yes sifu has a background in tong long, that said what we do is very different, the energies are not similar neither is the structure or power generation. some of our training methods are similar and we both focus on hand strikes rather than kicks.

planes3333
4 years ago
seems like sticking hand a bit, (kung fu), you can tell the guys got impressive power in grappling and push and pull energy etc.I am unsure of however how it would fare against a fast jab, good footwork, and someone who doesnt rush in to attack but calculates and maneuvers properly. anyways thanks for uploading, nice demo
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Postby Andy_S on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 am

I quite like some of this guy's stuff - he is very good at underhooking and turning the opponent's corner, and also is one of the few people who (I think) might be able to make his "push" work as a realistic combat technique.

OTOH, what Matt's mate says about his lack of applicative ability is also instructive.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:46 am

Andy_S wrote:I quite like some of this guy's stuff - he is very good at underhooking and turning the opponent's corner, and also is one of the few people who (I think) might be able to make his "push" work as a realistic combat technique.

The underhooking/arm drag is a trademark move in Huang style Taiji. It's taken from one of the 5 loosening exercises Huang created based on his previous Fukien White Crane training.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:21 am

All the 5 exercises are in tai chi and hsing i exercises I have learned
Don't get me wrong huangs version are great especially in the order and manner they were taught before he modified them
The underhooking comes more from the pushing hands exercise he calls swinging arms which comes straight out of the traditional San shou 88
Last edited by wayne hansen on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:59 am

What's going on with the crazy clothes? Is that part of the "guru" look? I need to get me a black polo beck and a cardigan....

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby willywrong on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:14 pm

C.J.W. wrote:I've always liked this Australian teacher's interpretation of CMC Taiji via Huang Sheng Shyan's lineage.

Exactly what is this guys lineage as I don't seem to recollect him being one of Huang Sheng Shyan's caucasian students from the late 70s onwards (into the 80s). I have quite a bit of footage of Huang when he visited Sydney in the 80s also of Patrick Kelly and Tony Ward pushing hands at Bondi. I'm curious as to which of these would be his teacher or did he get it (whatever it is he claims he has) from one of Huang's asian students. I pushed hands with James Ting for four years 78 to 82, 3 times a week and in the same four year period I pushed hands five times a week with Wayne Hanson a minimum of two hours per pushing session. James Ting was a student of Huang's son-in-law if I remember correctly. Huang's representative in Sydney at the time was a little bloke called Joseph Mack (quite skilful but tricky). When the modern media wasn't available as back then it was easier for people to demonstrate what really couldn't be done in reality without the compliance of their students. I found the degree of relaxation admirable. But I've always believed and still do that that lineage trains its students to be thrown. I personally teach my students how to avoid what I'm doing, it would not be to their benefit or mine if I was to guide them otherwise. Even seniors need to be challenged within their skill sets. I don't recollect this fella's name being mentioned anywhere round the ridges in those days. Perhaps someone can supply me this guys lineage as I'm curious. Thank you. :)
willywrong

Postby UniTaichi on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 pm

willywrong wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:I've always liked this Australian teacher's interpretation of CMC Taiji via Huang Sheng Shyan's lineage.

Exactly what is this guys lineage as I don't seem to recollect him being one of Huang Sheng Shyan's caucasian students from the late 70s onwards (into the 80s). I have quite a bit of footage of Huang when he visited Sydney in the 80s also of Patrick Kelly and Tony Ward pushing hands at Bondi. I'm curious as to which of these would be his teacher or did he get it (whatever it is he claims he has) from one of Huang's asian students. I pushed hands with James Ting for four years 78 to 82, 3 times a week and in the same four year period I pushed hands five times a week with Wayne Hanson a minimum of two hours per pushing session. James Ting was a student of Huang's son-in-law if I remember correctly. Huang's representative in Sydney at the time was a little bloke called Joseph Mack (quite skilful but tricky). When the modern media wasn't available as back then it was easier for people to demonstrate what really couldn't be done in reality without the compliance of their students. I found the degree of relaxation admirable. But I've always believed and still do that that lineage trains its students to be thrown. I personally teach my students how to avoid what I'm doing, it would not be to their benefit or mine if I was to guide them otherwise. Even seniors need to be challenged within their skill sets. I don't recollect this fella's name being mentioned anywhere round the ridges in those days. Perhaps someone can supply me this guys lineage as I'm curious. Thank you. :)

Hi Willywrong,
You might have seen the below youtube before but anyway he is in there with the other indoor disciples of GM Huang. Perhaps you can asked around from there. In fact, they(this grouop) have just concluded another yearly forum in Sabah or Sarawak just around 2 mths ago. Most of the top masters are there.

http://youtu.be/epDbJfQz3nA?list=FLzrMr ... HTjtjPjIdQ

The sifu I am learning from presently is also a indoor disciple of GM Huang.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJjn-o ... e=youtu.be

I know, a rather suspicious performance, but that guy can really fight! He is out the the Huang camp, but also has a Shaolin background. I would prefer him to Mizner anytime!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby liokault on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:01 pm

taiwandeutscher wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJjn-oNkso&feature=youtu.be

I know, a rather suspicious performance, but that guy can really fight! He is out the the Huang camp, but also has a Shaolin background. I would prefer him to Mizner anytime!

That is a joke right? Please tell me it's a joke!
liokault
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Hermann:

That is an extremely dubious performance for almost every reason one could give.

But I did like one part: His funky salutation at the start. Very kung fu.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby taiwandeutscher on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Well, showmanship and entertainment are very important here, as anywhere else.

And no, it's not a joke, the same man can do the works!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links