Huang Taiji free-style applications

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Huang Taiji free-style applications

Postby willywrong on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:02 pm

UniTaichi wrote:
willywrong wrote:
C.J.W. wrote:I've always liked this Australian teacher's interpretation of CMC Taiji via Huang Sheng Shyan's lineage.

Exactly what is this guys lineage as I don't seem to recollect him being one of Huang Sheng Shyan's caucasian students from the late 70s onwards (into the 80s). I have quite a bit of footage of Huang when he visited Sydney in the 80s also of Patrick Kelly and Tony Ward pushing hands at Bondi. I'm curious as to which of these would be his teacher or did he get it (whatever it is he claims he has) from one of Huang's asian students. I pushed hands with James Ting for four years 78 to 82, 3 times a week and in the same four year period I pushed hands five times a week with Wayne Hanson a minimum of two hours per pushing session. James Ting was a student of Huang's son-in-law if I remember correctly. Huang's representative in Sydney at the time was a little bloke called Joseph Mack (quite skilful but tricky). When the modern media wasn't available as back then it was easier for people to demonstrate what really couldn't be done in reality without the compliance of their students. I found the degree of relaxation admirable. But I've always believed and still do that that lineage trains its students to be thrown. I personally teach my students how to avoid what I'm doing, it would not be to their benefit or mine if I was to guide them otherwise. Even seniors need to be challenged within their skill sets. I don't recollect this fella's name being mentioned anywhere round the ridges in those days. Perhaps someone can supply me this guys lineage as I'm curious. Thank you. :)

Hi Willywrong,
You might have seen the below youtube before but anyway he is in there with the other indoor disciples of GM Huang. Perhaps you can asked around from there. In fact, they(this grouop) have just concluded another yearly forum in Sabah or Sarawak just around 2 mths ago. Most of the top masters are there.

http://youtu.be/epDbJfQz3nA?list=FLzrMr ... HTjtjPjIdQ

The sifu I am learning from presently is also a indoor disciple of GM Huang.

Cheers,
UniTaichi

Thank you for the information but I have to tell you in all sincerity I found it difficult to watch more than a couple of minutes of that clip. As I said this is typical of that lineage that they teach their students how to be thrown. It's really very simple whenever a technique is put in place the students tense up which makes for the spectacular results.
If the students yield at the point of the technique being applied it wouldn't work. This to me really is the wrong way to teach a student. My Grand Master once pushed with GM Huang and tore the sleeve on his jacket if I remember the story well. I think you can find it in the articles on Nigel Sutton's webpage. I'm not saying that these teachers don't have some skill but as far as demonstrating is concerned it's bullshit. Perhaps you could tell me what decade he began training in GM Huang lineage. Once again thank you for your input in regards to my question. :)
willywrong

Postby UniTaichi on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi Willywrong,

I do not know Adam M. Perhaps you can ask Patrick Kelly or Tony Ward since you know them. Patrick was rumored to be at that particular meet but did not perform. Tony and Wee kin Jin(one of the demonstrator) trained together with GM Huang, so he might know.

GM Huang has quite a few disciple and it is not surpriseing if you do not know all of them. FYI or maybe you are aware, one of the performer is GM Huang's godson in Malaysia.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby willywrong on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:12 pm

UniTaichi wrote:Hi Willywrong,

I do not know Adam M. Perhaps you can ask Patrick Kelly or Tony Ward since you know them. Patrick was rumored to be at that particular meet but did not perform. Tony and Wee kin Jin(one of the demonstrator) trained together with GM Huang, so he might know.

GM Huang has quite a few disciple and it is not surpriseing if you do not know all of them. FYI or maybe you are aware, one of the performer is GM Huang's godson in Malaysia.

Cheers,
UniTaichi

I'm sorry if you got the impression that I knew Patrick Kelly, never met the man just have footage of him from the 80s pushing with Tony who I have met and had a push with sometime in the 80s. Tony had nothing and Patrick just had the usual tricks from that lineage. I have footage of Huang doing judo type stuff on the ground with his students including Tony and it's a hoot. When talking of lineage you need to understand that Tony Ward is higher up the lineage tree than I am in the CMC lineage due to the fact that he was a student of Huang's. Even though I'd been training properly 12 13-14 years before he began training I also remember putting Tony up on a wall in a very short push hands session late 80s. He had no skill then and this is not to put him down as there is always a higher mountain. I mention this because it sounds to me that you're impressed by lineage. I'm not and never have been even though I supposedly have a somewhat impressive lineage not just in the CMC lineage. This is just an accident of time and place.
Just a few words of advice in regards to lineage (take it or leave it) my quote "Proximity to the Spring does not necessarily mean that the water is purer". I won't pursue this matter any further with you as I really was just curious. Thank you again. :)
Last edited by willywrong on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
willywrong

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 pm

He was originally a student of Rodger cotgrieve who was a student of both tony ward and Patrick Kelly
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 pm

wayne hansen wrote:He was originally a student of Rodger cotgrieve who was a student of both tony ward and Patrick Kelly

So he's a newbie. :D :D
willywrong

Postby cloudz on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:48 am

I'd agree that this line has always had these kind of clips that are very co-operative looking particularly in the push hands, you only have to look at GM Huangs demos and the large amount of discussion and scepticism that has been directed at them. I think it's fair to say its just the way they "train".. Sometimes that crosses the line in how its presented. If it's oh look what I can do, then in terms of impressing, it should only impress up to a technical point, where you know the work is co-operative. So many in tai chi don't do solid testing and fall for the showboating stuff. Mizner definitely likes to showboat too and you also get the feeling he likes to keep his students at a certain level, at least the training set up can do that.

Willy made a great point, it's just not cool to not encourage students to break out from this kind of cooperative mode. I thought Bruce's observations were also spot on.
Last edited by cloudz on Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:24 am

UniTaichi wrote:

Hi Willywrong,
You might have seen the below youtube before but anyway he is in there with the other indoor disciples of GM Huang. Perhaps you can asked around from there. In fact, they(this grouop) have just concluded another yearly forum in Sabah or Sarawak just around 2 mths ago. Most of the top masters are there.

http://youtu.be/epDbJfQz3nA?list=FLzrMr ... HTjtjPjIdQ

The sifu I am learning from presently is also a indoor disciple of GM Huang.

Cheers,
UniTaichi

Unitaichi,

in my investigations of talking with people of the Huang lineage, I have found the following: in the demo here you posted , several of the Huang disciples including Wee Kee jin, thought Adams demo was way over-the-top meaning to excessive and contrived show boating. PAtrick kelly mentioned to me that Roger C. dismissed adam from the school in Gold Coast since adam made way to many claims. Patrick says that Adam does not represent Huangs teaching, just the opposite. which makes me wonder who certified adam? According to Facebook, his instructor in the lineage is now Lau King. I asked Lau King if Adam was his student, he would not reply. Lau did ask me to come to Sarawak to train with him.

matt
neijia_boxer

Postby UniTaichi on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:20 am

Unitaichi,

in my investigations of talking with people of the Huang lineage, I have found the following: in the demo here you posted , several of the Huang disciples including Wee Kee jin, thought Adams demo was way over-the-top meaning to excessive and contrived show boating. PAtrick kelly mentioned to me that Roger C. dismissed adam from the school in Gold Coast since adam made way to many claims. Patrick says that Adam does not represent Huangs teaching, just the opposite. which makes me wonder who certified adam? According to Facebook, his instructor in the lineage is now Lau King. I asked Lau King if Adam was his student, he would not reply. Lau did ask me to come to Sarawak to train with him.

matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the additional info. Very interesting indeed.

Hi Willywrong,

You are welcome.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
UniTaichi
Anjing

Postby willywrong on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:49 pm

UniTaichi wrote:
Unitaichi,

matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the additional info. Very interesting indeed.

Hi Willywrong,

You are welcome.

Cheers,
UniTaichi

Thanks Uni, Thanks Matt. :)
willywrong

Previous

Return to Video Links