Do we need to imitate boxing stance in CMA?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Do we need to imitate boxing stance in CMA?

Postby leifeng on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:19 am

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDA3MzQ0MTM2.html?x&from=y7.2-1-98.3.4-1.14-1-1-3
This has always been a question for me. What do you think?
leifeng
Huajing

Re: Do we need to imitate boxing stance in CMA?

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:57 am

what style, or styles of CMA do you practice?
Whats the problem?
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:25 am

Why should it be necessary or even good? What to gain?

Why all these questions around trying to fit TCMA into different sport formats? What's the point?

If we intend to throw someone on the street, do we need to first put on a Gi? If we intend do use ground techniques, should we lay out a clean math first?

Invite a boxer to fight on high poles, invite a BJJ guy to fight on a dirty pavement full of broken glass, invite a Judo guy to fight with a rule set where no throws are allowed. Of course, no protections allowed, no susps, no anything. Also, of course, every kind of attack with the Seven stars are allowed, as head attacks, elbows, breaking bones and putting your fingers into your opponent's eyes.

Why should always TCMA be subject for adjustments and modifications? I just don't understand the logic in this.

Someone here said that turning TCMA into sport is what is Killing traditional Gungfu. So true.
Last edited by Bao on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:32 am

You do not need to.

The engine that powers the stance is what makes it "cma".
Practicing for competition the "boxing" stance may be good but the body method and structure should not deviate from the ideas of your style of cma.

For self defense the "boxing" stance as shown in the linked video will build some attributes but I think more can be had if in practice instead of squaring up and assuming the "boxer" stance like one would do when you are agreeing to fight.

In a self defense situation you are not agreeing to fight you are forced to fight. In practice one person must be the aggressor.
What stance or ready position would you use to keep in line with your arts methods?
bruce
Great Old One

Postby Mr_Wood on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:38 am

Taking a stance would indicate to the other that you are preparing to engage. Ok for sports but not for real life. It has never been recommended to me to adopt any form of stance in real life situation. There is no stance. You just go.
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby liokault on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:59 pm

A stance is a thing that should change and adapt to the emergent circumstances of an evolving situation.

It's not a one size fits all, proscribed thing.
liokault
Great Old One

Postby leifeng on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

I guess my confusion is from practicing different styles. In MT/boxing my teachers wanted me to stick to the common boxing stance keeping my hands up close to my head all the time. CMA seems to be more free and the stance as well as the position of the hands seem to change all the time and it seems to work well for the guy in white in that video.

@windwalker: Xinyi and taichi
Last edited by leifeng on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leifeng
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:08 pm

How about: do you spar on your toes or your heels?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:27 pm

leifeng wrote:I guess my confusion is from practicing different styles. In MT/boxing my teachers wanted me to stick to the common boxing stance keeping my hands up close to my head all the time. CMA seems to be more free and the stance as well as the position of the hands seem to change all the time and it seems to work well for the guy in white in that video.

@windwalker: Xinyi and taichi

I think you will tend to stay confused until you resolve what your trying to do, or wanting to practice.
from what you listed the reasons why and how each approaches foot work is quite different IME.
" It’s all in the Form; but only if it is, ALL in the Form."

empty circle taiji
windwalker
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Why do you want to use boxing stance for? The boxing system is a "pure punching system". It does not include kicking, locking, and throwing. It doesn't even have "grabbing' intention in it. Have you ever seen any boxer use a "wheeling step" or just a simple "stealing step"? I have not.

IMO, if you train TCMA but you want to fight like a boxer, you probably should just train boxing instead. The TCMA is much more than just a "pure punching system". A TCMA guy doesn't have to fight like a boxer. YOU can fight like an octopus, a rhino, or even a Chinese zombie (with stiff arms) instead.

Last edited by johnwang on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm

any stance is a good stance! If you get clocked then that is a different matter! Well! laying down stance is still good ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby leifeng on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Let's assume that like the video above both sides agree to use boxing rules. Do you think that the way the tongbei guy fights makes sense against a boxer?
leifeng
Huajing

Postby wayne hansen on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:47 pm

When Bruce lees shaolin teacher came to Australia
They asked him how many people could he beat at one time
50?
Yes if they are 5 years old
If it's Mohammed Ali that's a different matter
Tong bei v boxing
5 years old or Ali
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby leifeng on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:36 pm

Let's assume the boxer and the CMA guy have spent the same amount of time sparring using their styles. So if everything else is equal we are just left with Boxing vs Tongbei(the boxing part).
leifeng
Huajing

Postby yeniseri on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:18 pm

"Boxing" (what is called thus ??? ) has proven itself to be superior on all counts whereas XXCMA does not have that record to date. Outside the ring, as long as one is efficient, then any working stance is as good as the other. I might think.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links