Lars Anderson; Re-Discovery of archery

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Lars Anderson; Re-Discovery of archery

Postby yeniseri on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:02 pm

A great fellow who rediscovered the ancient art of archery!
His research and technique are/has been flawless and is surely reperesentative of the great archers of yore.

When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Re: Lars Anderson; Re-Discovery of archery

Postby GrahamB on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Putting the martial back in martial arts one arrow at a time.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Spncr on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:51 pm

Don't forget about Lajos Kassai!

Spncr
Huajing

Postby willywrong on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 am

Spncr wrote:Don't forget about Lajos Kassai!

Do you know the draw weight of these bows shown in the clips?
willywrong

Postby wushutiger on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:30 am

Exactly......
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby RobP2 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:31 am

wushutiger wrote:

Exactly......

Enough to go through chainmail it seems. And please feel free to post your own archery skills video ::)
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:49 am

I like how Lars punches the bow hand forward while pulling the string back. If you think about it, this is the Beng Quan of Xingyi.

How is it different? It's not.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:08 am

very interesting,
difference like hell, between those two - in terms of shutting speed , due to the arrow side placement.
Hungarian Rider is doing also "unnecessary double stretch".

btw., this year we hold in Poland - European Championships in horseback archery.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:29 am

To know the draw weight of the bow is necessary info for anyone who wouldwant to start practicing archery. They draw these bows so easily, I just would like to know if that is strength or light weight, to draw with such ease is a skill all alone.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:31 am

Go to your sporting goods store and try bows out. I'm not sure if draw weight is actually that much of an issue, unless you mean that it needs to be light in order to shoot fast. In any case, that's a general rule. But, for the type of shooting done in the videos, the bow needs to be of the type used by light cavalry (such as the Mongols or Apaches), not the long bows with heavy draws used by foot soldiers (like the English longbow). The heavy longbows were used for distance shooting, not accuracy.

The Robin Hood references were interesting. I think his argument against quivers a la Hollywood is spot on, but it's doubtful that archers ran through the forests shooting arrows at each other the way that cowboys used six-shooters in the old West. Arrows are easily deflected in the woods. It doesn't matter how accurate you are if there's something in the way. Ask any bow hunter. It takes being close, quiet and clear.

Anyway, I think a person could start training with any conventional short bow that is possible to draw, even a kiddie bow. Compound bows are compact, and the pulley system makes for a light draw; but they're probably too complicated to practice the real skills. Imo, the hardest part of what Anderson does is holding multiple arrows and accurately nocking each of them quickly.

I tried to find some clear pictures of Apache using bows from horseback. Here's one of buffalo hunting, and the bow size is clear. It's not so clear which side of the bow is used or where the arrows are held. Apaches didn't need to hold onto reins.
Btw, Apaches and other Amerindians did use quivers.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 am

I have a bow with a 35# draw, fine for me I was wondering if the warriors draw was greater, I know that the draw on some hunting bows is as much as 60#, was just curious if that was something to work towards. I am planning on buying a Mongol bow and would like to know if I should go heavier, my bow is a target bow, that I use at between thirty and sixty yards. The bow I am now using is almost identical to the one in the second clip.
Last edited by Wanderingdragon on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 am

When I came for my 1st archery lesson /my aunt took my on her training, she was quite deep in sport archery/
they gave me old bow with extremely shitty look and the string,
then was the short instruction how to put those two to work and...
it come out that it has 90 kg draw - you know kinda old gym joke ,
/they knew that I trained judo couple of years already/
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:36 am

I can see the Hungarian fellow on a hunt (based on type of bow) but in battle, he would have to be far more agile and nimble versus the static archers who may need greater draw (distance) for first line volley against an enemy.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Yeah, though, I think that there would have to be hundreds of guys like him riding past the enemy lines in arrays. Ya know, the phrase, "parting shot" comes from the Parthian archers who specialized in shooting backwards. They'd ride within range, then turn around and fire as they rode away. Iinm, the Mongols used a similar strategy, and had similar bows. Eventually, the Han incorporated the Mongol bow technique (of recurved composite parts) into the "Han" crossbow. Stephen Selby has written several books on this, iirc. His work is an excellent resource.

But, afa training, I'd still say to start out with the lightest draw possible, especially if you're working on draw consistency or speed. Of course, if you're like me, the tendency will be to go for a good quality bow. So, if you're going Mongolian, you might not want to buy more than one. I guess that getting your hands on the bow beforehand to try it out would be best. Reminds me of Frank Bear. He began hunting with a bow he carved from a stick. He bagged his first deer some years later and went on to become a legend.

I don't know if Anderson speaks enough in the video about instinctive aiming, i.e., "not" aiming. That's impossible to do without consistently being able to put the shaft on the bow. A good article on this is http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/ste ... o-aim.html
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Interloper on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:54 pm

The Lars Anderson video is going viral on the 'net, including Facebook.
Best demonstration of archery I've ever seen. The guy is brilliant.
Pariah without peer
Interloper
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links