The Professor: Tai Chi's Journey West

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Postby Bob on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:06 am

Has anyone seen or know the release date?:

http://www.tai-chifilm.com/

by Barry Strugatz

A documentary about the great Tai Chi master, Cheng Man-Ching, who brought his profound teachings West in the swinging, turbulent 60s.

The Professor: Tai Chi's Journey West is a feature documentary about Tai Chi and one of its greatest masters, Cheng Man-Ching, a man who brought Tai Chi and Chinese culture to the West during the swinging, turbulent 60’s. Though Cheng is an important transformational figure, his teachings have been overlooked. This film tells the story of his remarkable life and features Tai Chi as a martial art and a spiritual practice. Over the past decade, we have shot approximately fifty hours of footage in New York, North Carolina, and California. The film is now in the post-production and will be released in 2015.
Bob
Great Old One

Re: The Professor: Tai Chi's Journey West

Postby allen2saint on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:10 am

I don't mean to be negative about this, but isn't it a stretch to say that CMC's "teachings have been overlooked?" Many( I do not have the data to say "MOST" though I believe it to be true) Westerners directly or indirectly received the art from his influence and the man's form and approach are practically synonymous with the common Western understanding of what Tai Chi is. He was not all that generous( to put it kindly) with what he knew, as far as I know and did not advocate that the art was "spiritual" in any way, as he attested that it did not change his demeanor( 13 Chapters).

I am always glad to see quality working being done to either record or expound upon the lives of martial artists, but I am a little worried about the perspective in this case, just for historical accuracy's sake. As far as a personal memoir or means of honoring a teacher, I wish them the best.
allen2saint
Wuji

Re: The Professor: Tai Chi's Journey West

Postby Bob on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:32 am

I think when they speak of spirituality the are imagining along the following:

"Some people consider it a spiritual practice, a moving meditation -- a physical expression of concepts like yin/yang and non-action. Deeply rooted in classic Chinese culture and philosophy, Tai Chi combines mental concentration with slow, controlled movements to focus the mind, challenge the body, and improve the flow of ''qi'' (also spelled ''chi'') -- the life energy thought to sustain health and quiet the mind. Regular practice of Tai Chi can improve strength, flexibility, balance, and coordination."

http://www.tai-chifilm.com/whatistaichi
Bob
Great Old One

Return to Video Links