Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!

Postby Spncr on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Just came across this, couldn't resist posting it...
Spncr
Huajing

Re: Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!

Postby klonk on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:48 pm

I suppose landing on your head, which is never the recommended breakfall, is the the grappler's equivalent of walking into a punch.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:16 pm

When you feel that your balance is gone, you should use both of your arms to protect your head so your head won't hit on the ground. This "common sense" seem to be ignored in most of the modern sport. Why?
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Lucky it wasn't concrete
As a rugby player I became quite adept of landing on my tackler
Good music by the way
In The rohnda rousey clip I noticed how close a lot of those being thrown came close to breaking their necks
Last edited by wayne hansen on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm kinda amazed at the lack of reflexes in these sportive events players. Have not seen a fast person yet, although I don't watch too much. Maybe that dude who just trashed his leg, Silva, was an exception and had good reflexes.

In that whole video posted here, only one or two of the Japanese fellers looked half-way quick. The rest of 'em, I mean, er....

Maybe it's like Wayne said. I'd guess a lot of rugby players are meaner and faster than the MMA'ers on youtube.
Michael

Postby GrahamB on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:44 am

Michael wrote:I'm kinda amazed at the lack of reflexes in these sportive events players. Have not seen a fast person yet, although I don't watch too much. Maybe that dude who just trashed his leg, Silva, was an exception and had good reflexes.

In that whole video posted here, only one or two of the Japanese fellers looked half-way quick. The rest of 'em, I mean, er....

Maybe it's like Wayne said. I'd guess a lot of rugby players are meaner and faster than the MMA'ers on youtube.

Your smug arrogance makes me throw up in my mouth.

I don't think I can deal with the Qi Warriors here anymore.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:51 am

Not my words
I think they are plenty mean and fast
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Michael on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:27 am

GrahamB wrote:Your smug arrogance makes me throw up in my mouth.

That's going to slow you down in the ring, basically a no touch victory.
Michael

Postby middleway on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:53 am

When you feel that your balance is gone, you should use both of your arms to protect your head so your head won't hit on the ground. This "common sense" seem to be ignored in most of the modern sport. Why?

Covering your head wont stop your brain slamming into the side of your skull ... It is the force created by going from moving to static in an instant. The best option is to decelerate your impact in some way, that said, I agree that covering your head to avoid direct impacts which could crack your skull should also be a priority.
Last edited by middleway on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:55 pm

middleway wrote:

Covering your head wont stop your brain slamming into the side of your skull ... It is the force created by going from moving to static in an instant. The best option is to decelerate your impact in some way, that said, I agree that covering your head to avoid direct impacts which could crack your skull should also be a priority.

The fetal position cover does create a low fall buffer for body drop height in a similar way that arm slapping & shoulder/back rolling takes the sting off body drops. For jumping height though you are right and need to tuck and roll with it. This is all on mats of course. I dont think too many people can pull this off on concrete.

JW - they dont cover because their arms are locked in with the waist or double leg clinch. Letting go to cover also allows the opponent to potentially roll and take the sting out of the impact. Plus if they slam someone that does not mean you have ended it. The next step is to follow through with the submission and pulverising so letting go to cover would mean losing the whole setup move.

The guy on the receiving end might have a better chance to cover but loss of balance and disorientation of suddenly being in the air means they need to be really well conditioned and familiar with being upside down. Can be tough to do if you've gone several gassing rounds with someone.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Video Links