Hippy Sifu Does Bad-looking, Kungfu-ey Sort of Shit

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Hippy Sifu Does Bad-looking, Kungfu-ey Sort of Shit

Postby grzegorz on Fri May 29, 2015 1:45 pm

tvdpracphl wrote:Current student here.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. Sifu Phan has lived and taught only in Philadelphia since coming to the US from his birthplace of Vietnam. He encourages students not to push pain, low stances are important but can be supplemented and slowly worked into. Rockville, MD may be a knockoff, lots of people are impressed by the Chinese name Shen Chuen, or Spirit Fist, and the calligraphy, and the style. Many imitators around, especially due to Sifu Phan's years of championship competition. Lots of people here seem to think Kung Fu should look like it does in the movies, or be done very slowly? Huge misunderstanding of the fighting art. But I'm not here to correct ignorance, I'm here to comment on the Rockville, MD school. If anybody has information or link to another Than Vo Dao style being taught, please share.

Please enjoy a recent video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jShA5 ... e=youtu.be

Thanks!

I know you mean well but you be interested in knowing that the slow moving stuff is only one part of a ton of training.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby vietle87 on Sat May 30, 2015 4:25 am

I visited his school in Philly and had an opportunity to have a frank conversation with him in Vietnamese. He admitted that "Americans didn't really get it," that he had made stuff up. Regardless, his strain of Seven Mountain Spirit Fist is totally unlike what I saw in Vietnam. Spirit possession is popular in that part of the South, and I presume it was imported from Cambodia.
vietle87
Anjing

Postby tvdpracphl on Sat May 30, 2015 8:02 am

I visited his school in Philly and had an opportunity to have a frank conversation with him in Vietnamese. He admitted that "Americans didn't really get it," that he had made stuff up. Regardless, his strain of Seven Mountain Spirit Fist is totally unlike what I saw in Vietnam. Spirit possession is popular in that part of the South, and I presume it was imported from Cambodia.

Vietle it is true that the western mind struggles with the true esoteric teaching, but in Asia the western mind is prevalent now. The art hardly exists anywhere anymore and Sifu Phan is reviving it.

And Sifu Phan does not make teachings up. He has a jovial, joking, and laid back personality, and you may have misinterpreted something that he said. Most Vietnamese Vo Dao is westernized art combined with TKD, BJJ, etc. The spirit art is incorrect in Vietnam, and Sifu Phan is reviving it. People try to piece it together but nobody teaches the way Sifu Phan does. He has a full mastership of the art, he is not piecing things together like many Vietnamese masters. Shen Chuen (Than Quyen) is also popular in the North.

In Thailand, they still have the art for protection (GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGPizJnYyOs), but they have lost the physical art (Vo/Wu Dao).
tvdpracphl
Santi

Postby tvdpracphl on Sat May 30, 2015 8:07 am

grzegorz wrote:I know you mean well but you be interested in knowing that the slow moving stuff is only one part of a ton of training.

Thanks. Seemed that there is a misunderstanding of the art because people could not recognize the fighting characteristic in the videos posted. Especially because it was called "Kungfu-ey Sort of Shit".
tvdpracphl
Santi

Postby D_Glenn on Sat May 30, 2015 10:07 am

Taste of Death wrote:Attack of the 80lb beaver and 50 foot woman

This could distract the 50 foot woman for awhile and give the army a chance to bring in some Blackhawk Helos:

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sat May 30, 2015 11:28 am

D_Glenn wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:Attack of the 80lb beaver and 50 foot woman

This could distract the 50 foot woman for awhile and give the army a chance to bring in some Blackhawk Helos:

My neighbor had one of those weiner mobiles. I miss that dog.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby tvdpracphl on Sat May 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Would prefer Sushi I think!
tvdpracphl
Santi

Postby BonesCom on Sun May 31, 2015 7:23 am

I know how tvdpracphl feels. I used to be a student of Stephen Yan...
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby Strange on Sun May 31, 2015 4:57 pm

"slow moving stuff"

actually, the essence of martial arts lies in non-movement.
just sayin'; please continue.
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun May 31, 2015 9:06 pm

tvdpracphl wrote:
grzegorz wrote:I know you mean well but you be interested in knowing that the slow moving stuff is only one part of a ton of training.

Thanks. Seemed that there is a misunderstanding of the art because people could not recognize the fighting characteristic in the videos posted. Especially because it was called "Kungfu-ey Sort of Shit".

Fair enough, I thought the title was harsh too.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links