Extreme Speed...

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Extreme Speed...

Postby Teazer on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:40 am

What ever happened to that Tommy Carruthers chap?
Why does man Kill? He kills for food.
And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Teazer
Great Old One

Postby Aqui on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:45 am

Teazer wrote:What ever happened to that Tommy Carruthers chap?

He jumped on the online-training-bandwagon, but I have no idea how well that goes:

http://www.tommycarruthers.com/
Aqui
Anjing

Postby Greg J on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 am

Michael Babin wrote:I knew a boxer in his 50s who was that fast in short bursts and all the strikes had impact. Some people are well-trained or natural athletes or have, as others in this thread have pointed out, learned to be functionally relaxed.

I don't know anything about camera and film manipulation to hazhard a guess about trickery although I thought to see something "off" in the very fast bursts.

This kind of speed is very disconcerting to a slower opponent and is extremely useful as part of a "bag of tricks". Unfortunately, hand speed is also often used as a way of impressing newer students in a recreational martial arts setting and it's pointless if you can't deliver impact with most, if not all, of your lightning fast barrage... much less against someone who fights back with heart and skill.

Agreed! Also, while the pak sao/ lop sao / gua choi / vertical flurry loops demonstrated here lend themselves to speed when practiced against a compliant partner, I find that even experienced JKD guys slow waaaay down when sparring against a live opponent who is firing back.

But back to the question posed by Aqui - how can we develop speed as an attribute?

Aqui wrote:But apart from this video (being fake or not), is relaxation and movement patterns really enough to get such speed?

Dont you need to train your nervous system to fire better/ faster to activate more muscle fibers in a shorter time?

And again how do you do such things?

How about training the mind to activate more nerves to get there...?

Any ideas?

My instructor likes to say "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." Practicing movements slowly, then speeding them up, then practicing them at high volume, then practicing them under pressure, and periodically visualizing myself doing the moves quickly and smoothly are how I try to train myself to do specific movements quickly.

As for general drills that help build speed as an attribute, I like short (2 min) sprints. It's one of the best ways I've found to help me move from stillness into motion (and get my aerobic system working).

What do others do to build speed as an attribute?

Best,

Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby Aqui on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Greg J wrote:
My instructor likes to say "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." Practicing movements slowly, then speeding them up, then practicing them at high volume, then practicing them under pressure, and periodically visualizing myself doing the moves quickly and smoothly are how I try to train myself to do specific movements quickly.

As for general drills that help build speed as an attribute, I like short (2 min) sprints. It's one of the best ways I've found to help me move from stillness into motion (and get my aerobic system working).

What do others do to build speed as an attribute?

Best,

Greg

Hey Greg, thanks for your post, that method sounds great!!!

Any others here with other methods???
Aqui
Anjing

Previous

Return to Video Links