Chen Zhonghua Applications

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Chen Zhonghua Applications

Postby jaime_g on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:30 pm

jaime_g
Wuji

Re: Chen Zhonghua Applications

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 am

Very cool. This clip is the most "martial" performance I've ever seen from Master Chen. The use of intent to create contradictory forces and the specialized body movements demonstrated here are very similar to some of the indoor materials I've picked up over the years in Taiwan from several IMA teachers.

IMO, he is the real deal and definitely someone I'd love to learn from in the future.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:44 am

I don't know. Watching CZH's videos over the years and initially I wasn't impressed at all. It looks like he's been meticulously watching and studying other IMA teachers who have skill in spades and he's copying them. It's kind of like watching a Chinese bootleg DVD, where the last part is edited in and filmed with handheld camcorder in a movie theater and you can hear the sounds of him eating popcorn over the dialogue and sound.

:/
One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby charles on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:08 am

D_Glenn wrote:I don't know. Watching CZH's videos over the years and initially I wasn't impressed at all. It looks like he's been meticulously watching and studying other IMA teachers who have skill in spades and he's copying them. It's kind of like watching a Chinese bootleg DVD, where the last part is edited in and filmed with handheld camcorder in a movie theater and you can hear the sounds of him eating popcorn over the dialogue and sound.

Unless you are basing your comments on direct experience you have in working with CZH that spans the period of time you are describing, your comments are unfair, unkind and uncalled for. If you don't like his videos, saying so is fine; the back-handed innuendo isn't. I expected better from you.
Last edited by charles on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:17 am

It's kind of a similar situation to what we see in George Xu: A progression of Internal Biomechanics over a period of time, documented on video tape. It's an interesting thing in and of itself. I didn't think the comments made about George Xu were unfair. I think he admitted it himself that he learned it later in life. But that's a huge testament to how, no matter how old, one can still learn the 'Zhedie' movements, (and be healthier for doing so).

One part moves, every part moves; One part stops, every part stops.

YSB Internal Chinese Martial Arts Youtube
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:41 am

C.J.W. wrote:Very cool. This clip is the most "martial" performance I've ever seen from Master Chen. The use of intent to create contradictory forces and the specialized body movements demonstrated here are very similar to some of the indoor materials I've picked up over the years in Taiwan from several IMA teachers.

IMO, he is the real deal and definitely someone I'd love to learn from in the future.

It is interesting watching the changes he has made in his movements over the years.
There is a clip of him, cant find it now, where he says "I have been using my hands "or arms" for a long time and didnt know it"
or something like that.

It was to a group he was having a seminar with. What I liked and found very refreshing was that despite having attained some skill he
is still continuing to develop his own understandings, and not afraid to examine himself with a critical eye.

Agree that he seems to be developing and incorporating things into "his" taiji" from outside his sources, it would be interesting to know the
influences.

regarding the clip, while he seems to be using his own intent, he still works with the others frame using his own.
I would expect this aspect to change as time goes on...

Looks like a good teacher, enjoying and sharing his craft.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:16 am

charles wrote:
D_Glenn wrote:I don't know. Watching CZH's videos over the years and initially I wasn't impressed at all. It looks like he's been meticulously watching and studying other IMA teachers who have skill in spades and he's copying them. It's kind of like watching a Chinese bootleg DVD, where the last part is edited in and filmed with handheld camcorder in a movie theater and you can hear the sounds of him eating popcorn over the dialogue and sound.

Unless you are basing your comments on direct experience you have in working with CZH that spans the period of time you are describing, your comments are unfair, unkind and uncalled for. If you don't like his videos, saying so is fine; the back-handed innuendo isn't. I expected better from you.

Agree very much with Charles comment.

Tai chi is tai chi. Everything that is found in other tai chi styles can be found and developed within Chen style.

I am usually not a Chen style fan, but this has to do with that Chen stylists tend to go toward the obvious and focus on external elements. I am very happy that Master Chen goes in the other direction, towards internalizing, the subtle, small circles, precision and fine tuned leverage.

This clip is IMHO the very best Chen style applications clip out there. Almost everything that most Chen clips (and most other tai chi clips as well) is to be found found in this one.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:31 am

A most excellent clip as everything he is doing is within the realm of what is called taijiquan!
I will agree that obvious taiji performance does make the form of Cehn Zhonghua seem a little off, especially if one is impressed by wushu gymnastic taijiquan display.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Oliver 101 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:32 am

I can´t see many martial moves. Throwing someone down the way he does, will most likely not end a fight.
Oliver 101
Anjing

Postby Bao on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 am

Oliver 101 wrote:I can´t see many martial moves.

You are joking, right?
... Trolling? Had too much to drink? ???

:-\

Throwing someone down the way he does, will most likely not end a fight.

It's not a clip on regular throwing practice, but defense against throws and takedowns. Why do you think that he would try to end a fight by letting his opponent fall to the ground? ???
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:50 am

Dunno. They guys been giving public seminars and taking on all comers for at least a decade (maybe 2? more?). I'd be hesitant to offer criticism of anyone who's done that without similar footage of myself out publicly. Much like CZQ, it's easy to misinterpret what's going on if you haven't felt it for yourself. Either way, I have a ton of respect for these guys.

One thing that's clear is a long-term dedicated practice of fundamentals refined to a very high degree. Funny how some threads focus on the unwillingness of students to commit to the long and boring mastery of fundamentals, while other threads show someone demonstrating that dedication who gets roundly criticized for not being something else.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 am

Looks like a method of incorporating isometrics into the routine - quite the opposite of relaxing, but matched with breath the way he does it is a useful training method.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 pm

IMO, what he shows in the clip is called 功夫架, the type of form (or way of doing a form) that really builds gong-li but void of fancy, flowery movements. I've been told by numerous IMA teachers here in Taiwan that they also have similar forms or training methods that they practice behind closed doors.

What I like about Master Chen's performance and demo is that he is obviously producing abnormal power by using specialized unnatural movements acquired through years of training; to me, it's what IMA is all about.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby HRamiro on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:15 pm

windwalker wrote:
Agree that he seems to be developing and incorporating things into "his" taiji" from outside his sources, it would be interesting to know the
influences.

Hi! Pertaining to the question regarding external influences, Chen Zhonghua is a Disciple of GM Hong JunSheng and international standard bearer for that lineage, and is also a disciple of GM Feng Zhiqiang. He learned and teaches only these two systems, and his teaching focus by far is Practical Method / Hong lineage. Hope that helps,

Hugo
HRamiro
Santi

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Having experience Chen shifu's power hands-on several times, I can testify that his skill level is high, as is his fighting ability. I have also heard the same from other people who have touched hands with him and are not necessarily his students. There is even one teacher friend of mine who is not fond of Chen as a person but greatly respects his skills. Myself, I like him as a person and a teacher as well :D Like many great teachers, he's a real character, and one has to get to know him and work with him. One would be fortunate to have the opportunity.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links