London free push hands group

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

London free push hands group

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:13 am

Ok, first I like the video and the spirit of the practice - getting together just to practice is cool.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thefaji ... 921853831/

But I also look at this now and wonder what on earth these people think they are learning? I know this sounds like an attack on push hands but having been out of that world for a while and looking back in it just seems like a strange shoving game that doesn't really go anywhere.... What are they getting out if this?

(My own push hands training was always more yielding-into-technique orientated - you were always looking for a way to 'finish' your opponent, usually with them on the ground and you kneeling over them. More like a judo or jiujitsu randori approach I suppose. We always put light punches in too. The video looks more like ph competition rules).

The kind of shoving in the video seems like they're always going half way to a takedown .... But never getting there.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: London free push hands group

Postby Mr_Wood on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:01 am

Not really a fan of push hands. If someone starts to push me my response will not be to push back and grappling wrestling is not a strong point for me and also i'd rather not be so close for too long on the off chance there is a knife, better to look for quick finish.

But saying that I can appreciate learning how to ground yourself, control / keep your own centre and also control another persons centre, uproot etc. as in grappling situation it is good to have this ability but like you said better to learn how to finish It seems like a friendly group just getting together so maybe they don't want to be so combat orientated and just there for push hands fun :p
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:53 am

All foreplay and no sex.... you're going to get frustrated eventually ;)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:33 am

One of the main goals of this stage of PH training is to understand how to translate what your body learned in solo training (form) into feeling and eventual manipulation of another's body. Strikes and the more martial side of it start at a later stage, at least IME/in how we used to train PH.

That's what IMO people should get out of it, among a few other key things. Whether they get out of it anything other than fun (nothing wrong with that) is up to any particular individual and their training...

I'm jealous as to the amount of people that shows up there... that's awesome. Our group was much smaller...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:46 am

I keep meaning to pop along to this. I think it's what it looks like - a friendly get together for people from different groups do a bit of pushing practise. The groups themselves are very diverse - at least two of the groups (yang and wudang) who pop along are known for doing both competition standing push hands as well as moving step and san shou. I know a couple of the people there who are really good, one of whom can rag doll me without breaking a sweat. The get together is what it is - if you don't enjoy push hands then you'd probably want to be doing something else on your Saturday morning ;)

As for the benefit of standing push hands... It can be a game for it's own sake, a test of connection and of sensitivity. I like to do it once in a while to test the qualities I've been working on in my solo practice, and because it's fun. Wrestling is cool too but I think it's worthwhile working the standing practice because it's a better test of connection when you can't use footwork to work around your lack thereof.

Matthew
Last edited by mrtoes on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Steve Rowe on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:10 am

Looks fun - a bunch of people in the park in the fresh air enjoying push hands practice, great to see different groups getting together and having fun. Not everything has to be about fighting.
If you see someone without a smile - give 'em one of yours...
Steve Rowe
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:54 am

couldnt open the link to view it.

dont really agree with the idea of push hands being used in this fashion although I understand the rational for it.
IMO, PH has really been bad for the taiji world. One can see the gradual evolution from a practice that teaches certain skill sets
to something that has become representative of taiji practice and usage. It becomes quite circular with training and practices
only good for winning at ph events. IMO divorced from the org. intent of the practice.

IME its very difficult to really appreciate the skill sets without someone there of high level skill sets. I dont see how just getting together and pushing people expect to gain high level skill without some guidance in what they'er doing. Does anyone here think that just by rolling, they will developing high level bjj, skill sets only practicing with those of equal skill?

Many taiji teachers support it as a way of showing a certain type of skill in a relatively safe environment.

The problem IMO is that this environment becomes the goal and is very limited when the practice stops at what essentially is a training practice.
Hence all the discussions about what ph lacks and what it should include. taiji like any other system should be able to be used freely just as any other style, showing its
uniqueness with in the usage.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:12 am

Nothing there, anymore!
Unable to load or deleted!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:31 am

taiwandeutscher wrote:Nothing there, anymore!
Unable to load or deleted!

It works but you need to use your computer's video player.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby longhaoran on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:43 pm

hi,

here some of my tuishou, actualy t it tuishou is not a part of our tongbei family, but i did some exchange and even play it s sometime with my shifu ,,,

anyway this i wanted have fun with my student so i did this small video ;-)

wish you enjoy it;-)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... =3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152619447051010&set=vb.689876009&type=3&theater
My web site http://wuguan.be/ if you enjoy Tongbei here my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/longhaoran
longhaoran
Mingjing

Postby wiesiek on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:54 pm

hi, longhaoran
Your structural advantage are killing the students , before they even touch you, :)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby longhaoran on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:09 pm

hi,
wiesiek yeah you right, also it was them first time to do it, we played just one hour, i was really cool with them i think the enjoyed it from what they said;-)
i m not a tuishou guy at all, it was just for do something different and open them mind to different training ways;-)
My web site http://wuguan.be/ if you enjoy Tongbei here my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/longhaoran
longhaoran
Mingjing

Return to Video Links