what do you think of these throws?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: what do you think of these throws?

Postby windwalker on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:28 am

In a way it is force against force, but it could also be looked at as force against irresistible force. The old idea of blending with the opponent seems to be out of fashion these days.

yep ;)
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Orpheus on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:27 am

The OP demonstration is to show the throws present in the forms/system. Throwing isn't their primary focus, and it is a little inaccurate of me to say they won't work. I'll backtrack a little. I think most of the throws are fine, even if I take issue with their execution. They certainly have a fine foundation on which to build.
There are a couple of throws that I think are junkers:
1) After the hip throws, it appears they are showing counters to hip throws where they lift the leading leg and use the other arm to carry the guy from the back. It looks an awful lot like they are jumping into each others' arms. I'll play around with it to see if I can make it work, but I don't think I can pull this off realistically. Might need more tai chi.
2) A throw somewhere after one minute mark. One hand to the face and the other to the lower back. Might work as a strike but lacks the necessary leverage to function as a throw.

@willywrong While Tim Cartmell's throws may not work on you, I have seen each of them pulled off in competitions, which was the source of my statement.

GrahamB wrote:I'm pretty sure all those Tim Cartmell throws and trips also exist in Judo too, with Japanese names. Who cares?

Better to just look at skills, not styles, if you ask me.

Effortless = better. I don't care if you call that good taichi, good judo or good shuaijiao, however you spell it!

You're right, and it was really my bad for being pedantic. Cheerfully withdrawn.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby Bodywork on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:51 am

Bland common throw types, some done better than others. Non attacks and poor entries. But I'm betting you already know that. It would have been good to say something like...
"These are so we can train to learn the throws and falls without a real attack, then we escalate attacks and entries."
Most experienced guys will assume that and give you the benefit of the doubt, but video lasts forever so it's always worthwhile to explain what you were doing and why.
We pretty much all know that:
Clean throws with full resistance with set ups and entries are harder to pull off. Most demos are for students to learn step by step.
Last edited by Bodywork on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby wiesiek on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:25 am

..."Clean throws with full resistance with set ups and entries are harder to pull off...."

I do not quite agree with this statement,
Dan,
we have two very different "full resistance" forces - trained or not,
in fact,
i love to get full resistance before seriously goin` into the throw,
+ lot of "big throws" looks much better when uke has the meaning in his move .
and
- competitions, of course - completely different beast, - here I`m agree .
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Bao on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:10 pm

GrahamB wrote: In a way it is force against force, but it could also be looked at as force against irresistible force. The old idea of blending with the opponent seems to be out of fashion these days.

Two very different things. But yes, sadly adapting and blending seems outdated. Very hard to find good clips when most of demos, strange enough, are done with stationary opponents. Even throwing vids when they throw a punch and suddenly freeze before the thrower goes in to throw. :-\ Good then that we have Tim Cartmell who can show how to do this out fashioned blending and adapting. :P

wiesiek wrote:..."Clean throws with full resistance with set ups and entries are harder to pull off...."
I do not quite agree with this statement,
Dan,
we have two very different "full resistance" forces - trained or not,
in fact,

Agree more with Wiesek here...

... Full resistance? Resistance is "full" only from a certain angle. "Full resistance" is great, the more the yang is visible, the more the yin will be exposed. Why go against strength when you can go against the weakness? This is why "blending" is important. Blend with strength, blend with movement and find his weakness. As soon you feel resistance, do not go against it, but change and do something else. Where there is a forward movement, there is a backward movement, if there is up, there is down, where there is strength, there is weakness. Whenever an opponent does something, he does the opposite thing at the same time. "If you don't succeed at once, change at once". If you cut up a chicken and don't immediately cut in the joint, you don't go on trying to cut through the bone, but lift the knife and try to find the joint. IME, good throwing and takedown skill is just as easy as cutting up a chicken. There's no resistance if you do it right.
Last edited by Bao on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Fa Xing on Sun May 10, 2015 7:07 pm

willywrong wrote:
The difference between the two videos is that the four techniques shown in the Tim Cartmell video are likely to work on an uncooperative opponent .

Not on me .

Ha, I'd like to see that! ;D
Last edited by Fa Xing on Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Postby Ian on Sun May 10, 2015 7:38 pm

I prefer throws from throwing styles.

Ian

Postby yeniseri on Wed May 13, 2015 7:49 am

Great stuff!
As long as the training, conditioning and mechanics are there, throws can be used within any art. It is odd in taijiquan only because 'people' just do not know, or were never taught the 'shuai' aspect though specifically Wu style (Jianquan) has "a" curriculum within its jibengong. Obviously Chen style (Zhaobao (village), it has a greater emphasis!
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links