Yap Sue Ting

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Yap Sue Ting

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:35 pm

It should be pointed out here that his disciples chock seng kam and Lou tong bao also teach
The 108
San shou a and b
A fighting form
Broadsword
Pole
Sword
The lower hand 18 attributed to yap
And a 300 step form where a continuous forwar stepping like hsing I is used
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:09 am

Pennykid wrote:"Yue Shu Ting came from a martial arts family. His father Yue Lian Fang was the head of Fujian Province's martial arts association."
How much of Yue Shu Ting's art that he passed on to his dearest disciples came from Cheng Man Ching? He would have been exposed to many good teachers growing up through his father.
The list of his curriculum is:
-37 posture form
-Meditation
-Golden Bell
-Iron Cloth(shirt?)
-Tun Na Qigong
-Hu Xing Qigong also called Ying Man Ren Shi

"Yue Shu Ting's main skill was his "folding hand" which contained six martial techniques, executed continuously without any breaking of power.

Scott

I would and do call it the folding way not hand. It has as many techniques as are capable of arising and power if that what one wants is just a turn of the intension. Its part of the formlessness of TC. You know the woo woo. ;D
Last edited by willywrong on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
willywrong

Postby Pennykid on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:15 am

That sounds like a great curriculum, Wayne.
Do you know how much of it came from CMC and how much of it is Yue's contribution?

Also, the students of Huang that I'm familiar with from the web include the Yang 108 , as well. I'm curious if this 108 that CMC students offer is done the way Tung Ying Chieh did it, or is it CMC style movements?
I learned a long form from Tchoung Ta Tchen's students and it was very CMC influenced. Beautiful Lady Hand, no leaning, noticeably bent back leg, and the trademark swing and sway weight shifts. I'd just like to know if CMC disciples offer up the Yang family way of moving or just the sequence done CMC's way?

Scott
Pennykid
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:45 am

There lies the mystery
Yap being a good student gives all credit to cmc
Yet I see a vitality and complexity in yaps linage that I don't see in other schools of cmc
Chok had learnt through the tung line before his meeting with yap
Huang was introduced to cmc by yap and both came from Fukien where yaps father was the top man
When huang had his confrontation with chok he called for yap to sort it out
After their meeting choc became yaps student and huang moved to Sarawak
Yap started teaching at the Penang chin Wu that huang vacated
The form we call GM Choks fighting form or San shou 3 is by some called yap sui tings fighting form
Our 108 has both aspects of cmc and orthodox yang yet it is not quite like either
This could come from anywhere choc,s previous training might be the reason
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Pennykid on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:47 pm

That's very interesting. Thanks for answering, Wayne.

I have read in more than one source that Huang was considered CMC's most accomplished student and top guy. Everything I've read about Yap would suggest he was clearly superior to Huang. I wonder why one is so hyped and the other seldom mentioned? Ah well, it's not terribly relevant these days.

Does anyone know if golden bell and/or iron shirt is commonly found in CMC lineages outside of Yap's?

Scott
Pennykid
Anjing

Postby wayne hansen on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:11 pm

I don't know of anyone outside of Malaysia teaching them in the cmc line
They where important there because of the Malay uprising and a lot of Chinese had to fight for their lives
Yap was not in favour in either Taiwan or Malaysia due to his supposed communist sympathies
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:12 am

is the iron shirt / golden bell like the wu style nei gong?
because I have heard that the Malaysian CMC branch practice was similar to that

while i heard that the iron shirt that some other student got from CMC
the training routine was more of an abdominal massage...

just currious

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:56 pm

I would not be suprised if some cmc use the 12 internal and 12 external of Wu
One of my Wu teachers he how tan did the 24 in a way I have not seen elsewhere
He also did the 37 and the two yang San shou forms
Wu was there first and many Wu stylists swapped over to yap
The only place I know yaps stuff to be taught is through chok or Lu tong bao
And not all students learn it
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:07 pm

wayne hansen wrote:I would not be suprised if some cmc use the 12 internal and 12 external of Wu
One of my Wu teachers he how tan did the 24 in a way I have not seen elsewhere
He also did the 37 and the two yang San shou forms
Wu was there first and many Wu stylists swapped over to yap
The only place I know yaps stuff to be taught is through chok or Lu tong bao
And not all students learn it

Began training Yang Style tai chi chuan 108 in November 1973 under Sifu Tang Fong (Cheong) who’s Sifu was Kwong Kai-Yui of Shaghi China. Sifu Tang Fong was retired. He was an undercover detective in his working life. He was 76 years of age and spoke perfect English. I feel he imparted a through understanding of Tai Chi Chuan principles and practise to me. My training was conducted at the Penang Swimming Club where he taught and led a small group of twenty people of so. He always made himself available to me and never asked for anything from me except that I treat the art with respect and practise what I learnt from him. I have for filled my part of this arrangement and still drill the 108 as part of my regular training regime for the last 40 years plus.

On every training trip to Penang in the next six years I received instruction from this lovable old gentleman. At the age of 74 or 75 he was accosted by three young tuffs on motorcycles that he put paid to quite quickly. In early 1974 his wife of many years died and my training was handed over to Sifu Wen (Not sure of real spelling of Name, but he was Mr Malaysia in 1937) for a short period. Sifu Wen also spoke perfect English and was as capable as Sifu Tang Fong in the tai chi chaun. Both of these fine old gentlemen died in the early nineteen eighties.

In late 1974 Sifu Tang Fong (Cheong) imparted what was then considered an indoor secret which was the hardening of the body, internal and external. The method imparted to me was to take six months to complete. It involved sitting meditation which was taught in Burma Road Tuesday and Thursday nights from about 6 PM to 8 PM (the internal part) to prepare the mind to be in the right place for the external part. The method of the external part consisted of a sausage bag of about 2 inch diameter and 24 inches long filled with various substances starting relatively soft and proceeded into substances of a harder nature (pebbles). The process was in the beginning to gently hit yourself on your body in a systematic manner starting at the shoulders and gradually working your way down. The intensity was to increase with the substance inside the bag over a six-month period. I never underwent this training because it also involved abstinence from sex for the six-month period.
This method was taught at Penang Jing Wu Club and at the Malaysian Thai Keik Association. There were many styles being taught at the Jing Wu Club and all had the availability of this method if they proved out that they were sincere in their training.
willywrong

Postby Ron Panunto on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Abstaining from sex for 6 months would discourage my practice too.
Ron Panunto
Wuji

Postby willywrong on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:Abstaining from sex for 6 months would discourage my practice too.

I'm a old limp dick nowadays so no problem nowadays. ;D
willywrong

Postby JoeWood on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Ron Panunto wrote:Abstaining from sex for 6 months would discourage my practice too.

That was my first thought too. Then I remembered that I'm married with a toddler! :D
JoeWood
Anjing

Previous

Return to Video Links